The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2021, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Camilla took part in a full ceremonial State opening of Parliament in 2019 and Diana did as well when she was married to Charles.

But then the attendance of members of both Houses were not limited and in the 80's when Diana attended also other members of the RF like Margaret, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester usually also attended.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
But then the attendance of members of both Houses were not limited and in the 80's when Diana attended also other members of the RF like Margaret, the Duke and Duchess of Kent, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester usually also attended.

Back then, the Duke of Kent and the Duke of Gloucester were still members of the House of Lords.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Back then, the Duke of Kent and the Duke of Gloucester were still members of the House of Lords.
However the extended royal family stopped going to the State Opening of Parliament before these Dukes stopped being members of the House of Lords e.g. The CC entry for the State Opening of Parliament in 1997: https://www.royal.uk/court-circular?...court-circular
Old 05-10-2021, 07:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yes, I know, but I mentioned Diana only to show that the wife of the Prince of Wales being present at the State opening of Parliament is neither something new nor unusual.

A bit off topic, but those old video clips from the 70s and 80s with the royal dukes, duchesses, princes, princesses and the peeresses in full gala is some of my favourite things to watch. Today, even though the ceremony itself is still there and wasn't abolished like in Sweden, so much is different and only the Queen herself is unchanged.
Old 05-11-2021, 12:29 AM
Serene Highness

Some more information about the State Opening of Parliament released by Parly (Journalism project on the House of Commons and the Westminster village). Only the House of Commons Speaker, Party leaders and government and opposition whip will proceed to the House of Lords to hear the Queen's speech read out live. Marcus Jones, Vice Chamberlain to Her Majesty’s Household, Government Whip (Conservative MP for Nuneaton, Arley and Hartshill) will be "ceremonially held hostage in Buckingham Palace, while the Sovereign attends the Palace, to ensure her safe return. He would not be locked up, but with tea and biscuit. All those attending will need to have a negative COVID-19 test and follow social distance & face mask rules.
PARLY @PARLYapp
At tomorrow’s state opening, due to covid-19 restrictions only the Speaker and invited party leaders and Government and Opposition whips will process to hear the Queen’s Speech delivered in the Lords.
9:32 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
.@Marcus4Nuneaton will be ceremonially held hostage in Buckingham Palace while the Sovereign attends the Palace, to ensure her safe return. It’s more tea and biscuits than being locked up.
9:33 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
“All those attending will have produced a negative COVID test. There will also be measures in place such as social distancing, wearing of masks and good hand hygiene to reduce risks.”
Presumably this includes Her Majesty the Queen.
9:34 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
The Commons will meet at 2:30pm. This may be the point at which new MP
@Jill4Hartlepool takes the oath. Tomorrow will be the first of six days of debate on the Queen’s Speech.
9:36 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

PARLY @PARLYapp
Replying to @PARLYapp
The Speaker will announce at the start of the debate which subjects are to be debated on each subsequent day.
9:37 PM · May 10, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1391717798896939011
Old 05-11-2021, 01:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

But Margaret was the former wife of a member of the House of Lords and usually was also present.

Old 05-11-2021, 02:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

Margaret attended even before her husband was made a peer as all the royal ladies attended.

Just read:

No carriage but the State Bentley

No military

Only 74 MPs in attendance

Everyone to wear masks

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...-meghan-markle

Only the first section relates to the SOofP.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

There used to be times when adult members of the RF attended the State Opening of Parliament in full force. I'm not sure when they exactly stopped that and scaled down, but for some years only the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh attended. But from 2013 on Charles and Camilla started to also attend on a regular basis. Or at least 2013 is the year that I have the first tiara picture of Camilla at the SO in my archive. I don't remember whether they attend the recent scaled down State Openings though.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:27 AM
Majesty

The Queen is being driven to the Palace of Westminster in a Range Rover. I wonder why the usual limousine was not used.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:28 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilia C. View Post
I don't remember whether they attend the recent scaled down State Openings though.
Charles did but Camilla didn't. In 2017 he was a last-minute addition as the Duke of Edinburgh was ill.
Old 05-11-2021, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

There is only one Throne this year and the Queen will seat alone there. Charles and Camilla will seat beside

Old 05-11-2021, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Its the 1st major public engagement for the queen since the death the Duke of Edinburgh,though he hadn't attended in a few years must a poignant day for H.M.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:13 AM
Courtier

Just wondering would it be the begining of a new protocol, no tiara and gown or military uniform in future. Maybe it's only because of the pandemic and the Queen's age this time, but sometimes an exception reshapes the tradition.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
Just wondering would it be the begining of a new protocol, no tiara and gown or military uniform in future. Maybe it's only because of the pandemic and the Queen's age this time, but sometimes an exception reshapes the tradition.
This is the second or third time it has been like this. This was what they did in 2019 for the second State Opening that year - after the election.

The last full State Opening was the early one in 2019 when May was still PM.

We won't see a full regalia event, I suspect, during the rest of the Queen's reign and if that is another 4 - 5 years then I agree it will become the norm and so no more tiaras etc at this event but if the Queen were to pass within the next year or so then maybe Charles would return to the full regalia but a lot would depend on both his, and Camilla's health.

I did really feel, for the first time, that Charles really was an 'old man'. I know his age etc but he has always looked so fit and spry but today I felt he really looked his age, if not older. Camilla and The Queen both looked fitter and more sprightly than he did. I know he is still in mourning and probably will be for some time but he looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders and it was weighing him down.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:38 AM
Nobility

I think Charles have been hit more than expected by his fathers death - probably even more than he himself expected. He literally seems to burst out in tears every time I see him.
HM looks better than expected after her husbands death, but also frail (but this could be because we havent seen her so often in the last year and it's easier to tell differences in peoples appearances when you dont see them so often.)
Old 05-11-2021, 07:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
I think Charles have been hit more than expected by his fathers death - probably even more than he himself expected. He literally seems to burst out in tears every time I see him.
HM looks better than expected after her husbands death, but also frail (but this could be because we havent seen her so often in the last year and it's easier to tell differences in peoples appearances when you dont see them so often.)
When has Charles "burst out in tears" in public? I think he is grieved by his father's death, which has now left him as head of the family and also by the other problems that have emerged in the past few months. Its a lot on his shoulders.. and given his at times strained relationship with his father he may well be very upset now that Philip has gone.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:59 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
When has Charles "burst out in tears" in public? I think he is grieved by his father's death, which has now left him as head of the family and also by the other problems that have emerged in the past few months. Its a lot on his shoulders.. and given his at times strained relationship with his father he may well be very upset now that Philip has gone.
I may have expressed it wrong, I wanted to say that he seems as if he could burst out in tears every moment. Very watery eyes every time I saw him recently.

BTW, I am just watching a video of the speech and am wondering what caused the laughter shortly after the lords took their places? HM seemed to be wondering about something but I couldn't get it?
Old 05-11-2021, 09:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I was going to say something similar.....it’s so sad to see him with tears in his eyes, so obviously grief-stricken. I’m glad he’s there to support his mama..I have to agree with the folks on Twitter - HM looks like she’s lost weight. Poor thing

I admit, obviously I didn’t see anything beyond this photo and the above video of Charles ...

https://twitter.com/royalreporter/st...896129538?s=21
Old 05-11-2021, 09:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I may have expressed it wrong, I wanted to say that he seems as if he could burst out in tears every moment. Very watery eyes every time I saw him recently.

BTW, I am just watching a video of the speech and am wondering what caused the laughter shortly after the lords took their places? HM seemed to be wondering about something but I couldn't get it?
You didn’t express it wrong, you expressed yourself very well.

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii