The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #781  
Old 10-14-2019, 10:36 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,670
Court Circular 14th October:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen, accompanied by The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, travelled in State to the Palace of Westminster today to open the Session of Parliament.

Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses drove in a Carriage Procession, escorted by a Sovereign’s Escort of The Household Cavalry, under the command of Major Jack Barnes, The Blues and Royals (Royal Horse Guards and 1st Dragoons), and were received at the Sovereign’s Entrance by the Earl Marshal and the Lord Great Chamberlain.

The Queen’s Guard was found by 5th Battalion The Rifles, under the command of Major Robert Fellowes, and a Guard of Honour was mounted at the Palace of Westminster by 1st Battalion Welsh Guards with The Queen’s Colour, under the command of Major Christopher Davies.

A staircase party of The Household Cavalry was on duty at Victoria Tower, House of Lords, under the command of Captain Steven Mansfield, The Life Guards.

Royal Salutes were fired in Green Park by The King’s Troop Royal Horse Artillery, under the command of Major Victoria Flood, and from the Tower of London Saluting Battery by the Honourable Artillery Company, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan Chorley.

The Imperial State Crown, the Cap of Maintenance and the Sword of State were conveyed previously to the House of Lords in a Carriage Procession, escorted by a Regalia Escort of the Household Cavalry.

Her Majesty’s Body Guard of the Honourable Corps of Gentlemen at Arms was on duty in the Prince’s Chamber and the Queen’s Body Guard of the Yeomen of the Guard was on duty in the Royal Gallery.

The Watermen were on duty.

The Ladies and Gentlemen of the Household and the Pages of Honour to The Queen (Lord Culloden, Max Bowen, Robert Bruce and Lord Claud Hamilton) were in attendance at the Palace of Westminster.

Her Majesty and Their Royal Highnesses returned to Buckingham Palace and were received by the Lord Chamberlain and the Vice-Chamberlain of the Household.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #782  
Old 10-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: alpine village, Germany
Posts: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Larisa View Post
Court Circular 14th October:
Buckingham Palace

(...)



The Ladies and Gentlemen of the Household and the Pages of Honour to The Queen (Lord Culloden, Max Bowen, Robert Bruce and Lord Claud Hamilton) were in attendance at the Palace of Westminster.

Does anyone know more about the pages Robert Bruce and Max Bowen?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #783  
Old 10-16-2019, 02:19 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Does anyone know more about the pages Robert Bruce and Max Bowen?
The splendidly named Robert Bruce might be a member of the family of Earl of Elgin.
Reply With Quote
  #784  
Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 PM
HereditaryPrincess's Avatar
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 13,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by crm2317 View Post
I believe he is the boy in the back right of this picture:

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/na...oto/1175945395
Thanks for this! Nice to see that HM often seems to choose younger male relatives from the extended family as her pages of honour. Nice as they don't get to do as many engagements, if at all, as the more major members of the family.
__________________
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone". Audrey Hepburn

*
"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Reply With Quote
  #785  
Old 11-25-2019, 01:26 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,622
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-wins-election

Boris Johnson plans slimmed-down Queen's speech if he wins election.
Reply With Quote
  #786  
Old 11-25-2019, 05:01 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,397
Given the timetable desired, and the fact we had a State opening a very short time ago.. this is no real surprise.
Reply With Quote
  #787  
Old 11-25-2019, 07:18 PM
Iluvbertie's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bathurst, Australia
Posts: 13,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-wins-election

Boris Johnson plans slimmed-down Queen's speech if he wins election.
Not a surprise that they would do a smaller version this time given how close it is to the last one - assuming Johnson does win a majority.

If Corbyn wins then they may not have the full State Opening either while he is PM as he isn't a supporter of the monarchy.
Reply With Quote
  #788  
Old 11-25-2019, 08:15 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,733
Just my thoughts but its entirely possible too that, no matter who wins the majority, with having a slimmed down State Opening of Parliament, it puts less focus on the pomp and ceremony and traditions and presents more of a picture of a government that needs to get rolling into action doing what they're there to do.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
Reply With Quote
  #789  
Old 11-26-2019, 05:01 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,866
The journey to and from Parliament is pomp. It's what is in the "Queen's" speech that sets the stage for the direction the government is intending to take the nation. The ceremony has been abbreviated previously but it does not distract from the "Business" of governing. It is the tradition and form of a functioning Constitutional Monarchy. You do you and let them do them. 😉
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
Reply With Quote
  #790  
Old 11-26-2019, 07:15 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 1,409
Hardly surprising as it is a snap election and there has just been a state opening... I expect it to be a ”dressed down” state opening also in the event of a Change of government.
Reply With Quote
  #791  
Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 AM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
The journey to and from Parliament is pomp. It's what is in the "Queen's" speech that sets the stage for the direction the government is intending to take the nation. The ceremony has been abbreviated previously but it does not distract from the "Business" of governing. It is the tradition and form of a functioning Constitutional Monarchy. You do you and let them do them. 😉



I don't think the imperial crown will be ever worn again at the state opening. The present Queen certainly won't do it due to her advanced age and I think Charles will also drop it as part of a modernizing trend once he ascends.



Some Commonwealth realms like Australia, Canada and New Zealand have a "Speech from the Throne" read by the Governor General which could be a model for a slimmed-down state opening of the UK parliament.
Reply With Quote
  #792  
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 AM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,652
The abolishment of the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in Sweden, which matched or even trumped the grandeur of it's British counterpart, in 1975 was because it was seen as outdated, not compatible with a modern democracy and to put an emphasis on the government and it's policies instead of on the monarch. While I don't think, and certainly hope, that the change in Britain would be as drastic as in Sweden I could see how both parliament and monarch would favour a simplified ceremony. That said it's worth to remember that the ceremony we see today have already been simplified a lot after the reform of the House of Lords in the nineties.

For those interested in the Swedish ceremony here's a link to the one in 1960. The royals arrive at about 41 minutes in. Queen Louise, who's wearing the magnificent Leuchtenberg sapphires, was the sister of Princess Alice of Greece and therefore the aunt of Prince Philip.

https://youtu.be/e2BeS9RRRoE
Reply With Quote
  #793  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
The abolishment of the Ceremonial Opening of Parliament in Sweden, which matched or even trumped the grandeur of it's British counterpart, in 1975 was because it was seen as outdated, not compatible with a modern democracy and to put an emphasis on the government and it's policies instead of on the monarch. While I don't think, and certainly hope, that the change in Britain would be as drastic as in Sweden I could see how both parliament and monarch would favour a simplified ceremony. That said it's worth to remember that the ceremony we see today have already been simplified a lot after the reform of the House of Lords in the nineties.

For those interested in the Swedish ceremony here's a link to the one in 1960. The royals arrive at about 41 minutes in. Queen Louise, who's wearing the magnificent Leuchtenberg sapphires, was the sister of Princess Alice of Greece and therefore the aunt of Prince Philip.

https://youtu.be/e2BeS9RRRoE
Very interesting. Thank you! The boy on the balcony (with his mother, sisters, aunts & grandmother?) is I presume the present king?

It's certainly a very grand ceremony, a shame it's not in colour.

Is this inside the royal palace or the parliament building? If inside the parliament building was there a carriage/cavalry procession?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think the imperial crown will be ever worn again at the state opening. The present Queen certainly won't do it due to her advanced age and I think Charles will also drop it as part of a modernizing trend once he ascends.



Some Commonwealth realms like Australia, Canada and New Zealand have a "Speech from the Throne" read by the Governor General which could be a model for a slimmed-down state opening of the UK parliament.
I think you're right about the crown but I also think that the ceremony will survive more or less as it is. It's an accepted part of the theatre of monarchy now a bit like trooping the colour so I suspect it will stay.
Reply With Quote
  #794  
Old 11-26-2019, 02:41 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Very interesting. Thank you! The boy on the balcony (with his mother, sisters, aunts & grandmother?) is I presume the present king?

It's certainly a very grand ceremony, a shame it's not in colour.

Is this inside the royal palace or the parliament building? If inside the parliament building was there a carriage/cavalry procession?
Yes, the boy is the current King Carl XVI Gustav together with his sisters, mother and step-grandmother. The cereemony was heald each year in January at the Hall of State in the Royal Palace.
Here´s a transmission in colour from the last time the ceremony was held in 1974. Princess Christina was at the time the First Lady of the Realm and it´s been said that she was very uncomfortable with appearing on the balcony alone during the ceremonies of 1973 and 1974. In 1973 , only 2 months after the death of her mother, she was heard to whisper "alone, alone, I´m all alone" before stepping out onto the balcony.

https://youtu.be/8hIjIN3ADwI

I guess we should continue talking somewhere in the Swedish threads before we get told off for being naughty
Reply With Quote
  #795  
Old 11-26-2019, 03:03 PM
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Yes, the boy is the current King Carl XVI Gustav together with his sisters, mother and step-grandmother. The cereemony was heald each year in January at the Hall of State in the Royal Palace.
Here´s a transmission in colour from the last time the ceremony was held in 1974. Princess Christina was at the time the First Lady of the Realm and it´s been said that she was very uncomfortable with appearing on the balcony alone during the ceremonies of 1973 and 1974. In 1973 , only 2 months after the death of her mother, she was heard to whisper "alone, alone, I´m all alone" before stepping out onto the balcony.

https://youtu.be/8hIjIN3ADwI

I guess we should continue talking somewhere in the Swedish threads before we get told off for being naughty
Thank you again. Enjoyed watching! HM looks so young! If I have any more questions I will post them in the Sweden forums, don't want to get sent to the naughty step
Reply With Quote
  #796  
Old 12-14-2019, 07:38 PM
Princess Larisa's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: ., Croatia
Posts: 3,670
So, if I understood correctly, there will probably be a reduced Opening of Parliament on Thursday, December 19th.
I assume this means the Queen will be in a coat and hat and accompanied only by Prince Charles.
Reply With Quote
  #797  
Old 12-14-2019, 09:06 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 3,533
That what it looks like. I guess they can pretty much use the speech from the last one in Oct

I guess the Christmas lunch will be sometime this week, say Wed, then the State Opening then HM will be able to finally travel to Sandringham to begin her Christmas break.
Reply With Quote
  #798  
Old 12-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I don't think the imperial crown will be ever worn again at the state opening. The present Queen certainly won't do it due to her advanced age and I think Charles will also drop it as part of a modernizing trend once he ascends.
I really do hope you are wrong as the british people have always been proud of this ceremony and the crown jewels not just museum pieces, but "alive" insigns of a vital royal family, still being in use!
The difference between the british King and Queen to other european monarchs is that there is still a coronation ceremony and an anointing in the UK which enables the monarchs to use their crown jewels. Only an anointed and concecrated monarch can do so. Hardly any other monarchs (may be with the exception of the Thai King or Emperor of Japan) undergoes a religious enthronement - that is why nobody else than these can wear crown jewels - or royal insignia!
In that regard I do hope that Prince Charles, always been a traditionalist (like his eldest son, too), will still use it just like his predecessors did!
Reply With Quote
  #799  
Old 12-16-2019, 02:07 PM
Majesty
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 7,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
That what it looks like. I guess they can pretty much use the speech from the last one in Oct

They most definitely will not. That was an emergency Queen's speech from a government that had lost its majority in the House of Commons and whose continuity was in doubt.



This week's speech represents the legislative program of a newly elected government with an 80-seat majority, which will most likely last for another 5 years and, under the British parliamentary system of government, is pretty much free to do whatever it wants. It is probably going to be a much more detailed and ambitious Queen's speech then.
Reply With Quote
  #800  
Old 12-18-2019, 11:12 PM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 15,835
The Second State Opening of Parliament of 2019 BBC One - 10am
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000d967
__________________

__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
america american archie mountbatten-windsor asia asian baptism biography british british royal family british royals camilla's family camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house commonwealth countries crown jewels customs daisy doge of venice duchess of sussex duke of sussex elizabeth ii family life family tree fashion and style genetics george vi gradenigo gustaf vi adolf harry and meghan hello! history hochberg house of windsor jack brooksbank japan japan history jewellery kensington palace king edward vii king juan carlos książ castle liechtenstein lili mountbatten-windsor line of succession list of rulers luxembourg monarchist movements monarchists plantinum jubilee politics portugal prince harry queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen victoria royal ancestry spanish royal family speech st edward swedish queen taiwan thai royal family tradition unfinished portrait united states united states of america welsh


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:46 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×