The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Is this the 1st time that the Duchess of Cornwall has been seated so close to the throne?
I think that is indeed the case. In the past, C&C have been seated together to one side, with HM and the DoE on the thrones. Only the last time in 2017 (?) when the Queen was not in full ceremonial robes did Charles sit in the throne formerly occupied by the DoE. Camilla was not present on that occasion.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think that is indeed the case. In the past, C&C have been seated together to one side, with HM and the DoE on the thrones.
That's what I was also thinking ,even though its been a few years now its still strange not to see the Duke of Edinburgh present.

Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I think that is indeed the case. In the past, C&C have been seated together to one side, with HM and the DoE on the thrones.

Let's face it, Camilla could be queen tomorrow. So it is important to put her in any ceremony, she is the future queen after all.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
Interesting that Gloucester is wearing the Garter collar and no mantle.
When the royal dukes were still members of the House of Lords, dudn’t they attend the state opening with the other non-royal peers ?
Old 10-14-2019, 12:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob2008 View Post
Interesting that Gloucester is wearing the Garter collar and no mantle.
In that ("non-royal") part of the House of Lords, the gallery, robes are not worn. If he did (again, not to be done up there on the gallery), he would have mismatched his wife, who then would had to follow the royal way of dressing with an evening gown and tiara. So the Duke and his family wore day wear.
Old 10-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Once again, agenda-driven and/or overtly political posts have been removed and will continue to be until members understand that this is not a political forum.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:29 PM
Courtier

Who are the two women who stood behind Camilla? I feel like I should recognize at least one of them, but I’m having one of those slow-thinking days where I might night recognize myself in the mirror, if you kwim.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I prefer the State Opening in Autumn or Winter as I always felt sorry for the soldiers and queen in her robes on a warm summers day.
I too prefer a cooler season opening because of the magnificent dark blue & red cloaks the household cavalry wear.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Who are the two women who stood behind Camilla? I feel like I should recognize at least one of them, but I’m having one of those slow-thinking days where I might night recognize myself in the mirror, if you kwim.
The Queen’s Ladies-in-Waiting.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
When the royal dukes were still members of the House of Lords, dudn’t they attend the state opening with the other non-royal peers ?
Yes they did before the House of Lords Act which removed most of the hereditary peers. Also their wives.

Princess Margaret also attended despite behind the divorced wife of a peer. I'm not sure if she attended prior to becoming the Countess of Snowden in 1961.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
The Queen's Ladies-in-waiting Lady Susan Hussey and Mrs Gordon Lennox.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
In the pics accompanying the Daily Mail article there is one of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester with the Earl and Countess of Ulster at the State Opening.

Upthread someone asked if other members of the RF attended. Looks as if they do.
I know Lord Snowdon has attended with his son in the past, and I think the Chattos have been too.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I know Lord Snowdon has attended with his son in the past, and I think the Chattos have been too.
Arthur Chatto was a page of honour to his great aunt the Queen from 2009 until 2015
Old 10-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

The Duchess of Wellington attended as peeress wearing the Wellington tiara. so it is likely her husband was there too. Does he still have a seat in the House of Lords so that he could attend or what was the reason he did?

Old 10-14-2019, 04:05 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Arthur Chatto was a page of honour to his great aunt the Queen from 2009 until 2015
Yep, I know It seems he watched the Opening of Parliament with his parents in 2010, perhaps to introduce him to his role of page of honour.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 10-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
The Duchess of Wellington attended as peeress wearing the Wellington tiara. so it is likely her husband was there too. Does he still have a seat in the House of Lords so that he could attend or what was the reason he did?
He's one of the elected hereditary peers.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Majesty

Marquess of Cholmondeley, Lord Great Chamberlain, and MP Reese-Mogg were the best-looking gentleman.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
He's one of the elected hereditary peers.

Thanks.

Do we know which one of the Pages is Lord Culloden?

Old 10-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I believe he is the boy in the back right of this picture:

https://www.gettyimages.de/detail/na...oto/1175945395
Old 10-14-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A few more photos of H.M.The Queen arriving at today's State Opening of Parliament.

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...2019%20British

Tags
ceremony, elizabeth ii, opening of parliament, protocol, queen elizabeth ii