State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Cambridges have a planned engagement tomorrow, anyone know what time it will be? Even though there's report that William still want to attend, but I think if it's too close then maybe Catherine will be on standby to go alone in case he doesn't make it, hence she won't accompany him to the State Opening. And maybe that's also why William will be in morning suit so he can jump from this to the next.

Royals are used to dress up and to dress down. We see them dressing up in uniform or jacquet for receiving ambassadors and then a hour later the same royals are seen in normal suit-and-tie for another event.

Dressing up in uniform and dressing down in suit-and-tie is not more work than dressing up in jacquet and dressing down in suit-and-tie.

Given how the dress for the State Opening of Parliament was day dress in 2017 due to a general election and then the same the past couple of years due to Covid, does anyone think that the pomp and circumstance of it will go away eventually for the Opening of Parliament? I know these situations required it and the one tomorrow does, but I hope people wanting to "modernize" the monarchy won't use these occasions as a spring board to doing away with it.
I would love to see the glamour come back to the State Openings of Parliament, with tiaras, orders, crown, the coaches and the whole show. But I don't expect to see that again. It was a remnant of bygone times, and now that a series of reasons has done away with the pomp and circumstance, it's not likely to come back. We'll miss it here, but most British won't.

I would love to see the glamour come back to the State Openings of Parliament, with tiaras, orders, crown, the coaches and the whole show. But I don't expect to see that again. It was a remnant of bygone times, and now that a series of reasons has done away with the pomp and circumstance, it's not likely to come back. We'll miss it here, but most British won't.

I am not sure why you think that most British will not miss it.

It is interesting that as mentioned in many of the articles, on the only past occasions when Elizabeth missed the state opening of Parliament (1959 and 1963), the Lord Chancellor read out the Queen's Speech. Of course the Prince of Wales was too young to deputize for his mother but there were plenty of adult working royals back then. I wonder what has changed since 1963.

According to the commentators it's because the role of the Lord Chancellor has changed significantly since 1963, that is, has been downgraded and is now significantly less important than it once was.

It is interesting that as mentioned in many of the articles, on the only past occasions when Elizabeth missed the state opening of Parliament (1959 and 1963), the Lord Chancellor read out the Queen's Speech. Of course the Prince of Wales was too young to deputize for his mother but there were plenty of adult working royals back then. I wonder what has changed since 1963.

Given the Queen's age and mobility issues, she may have wanted to emphasize the continuity of the monarchy by having her son and heir stand in for her. That wasn't an issue in 1963.

For some reason, I think 2022 would be the year that pomp and circumstance are brought back to the State Opening of Parliament. It's probably because of The Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Looking at the previous years of the opening of Parliament, I do also miss the coaches, crown, regalia and pageantry. However, I could understand the optics and perception, especially after COVID pandemic.

The Queen's health and mobility perhaps did impact the scale of the pageantry, considering the weight of Imperial State Crown.

Was the Prince of Wales wearing the badge of the Order of the Bath on a necklet? I wonder why he didn't wear the Order of Merit instead.

I also noticed among his medals the Queen's Service Order of New Zealand. Is that usual?

Am I the only one very pessimistic about the Queen's health ?

Considering her age, it is just natural that the Queen is going into de facto semi-retirement. Unfortunately that is not officially acknowledged in the UK because it seems to be a cultural taboo.

Last edited:
Was the Prince of Wales wearing the badge of the Order of the Bath on a necklet? I wonder why he didn't wear the Order of Merit instead?

He was wearing both. The Order of Merit was sticking out of one of the buttonholes. The Bath goes at the neck as it's senior to the Order of Merit.

I also noticed among his medals the Queen's Service Order of New Zealand. Is that usual?

Yes, he's had that for a long time. Princess Anne too.

Last edited:
He was wearing both. The Order of Merit was sticking out of one of the buttonholes. The Bath goes at the neck as it's senior to the Order of Merit.

Thanks. I had forgotten that GCB is senior to OM in the UK. I guess I am used to the practice in Canada where the OM is actually now the highest civilian honor.

I think he does prefer the OM when he's in a uniform that only allows for a single neck badge (or civilian dress), but the Royal Navy allows at least two.

For some reason, I think 2022 would be the year that pomp and circumstance are brought back to the State Opening of Parliament. It's probably because of The Queen's Platinum Jubilee. Looking at the previous years of the opening of Parliament, I do also miss the coaches, crown, regalia and pageantry. However, I could understand the optics and perception, especially after COVID pandemic.

The Queen's health and mobility perhaps did impact the scale of the pageantry, considering the weight of Imperial State Crown.

The Imperial State Crown was present, on a velvet cushion and placed on a side table next to the throne of the Prince of Wales.

And most likely that will be the future as seeing a man with sparkling diamonds on his head, reading out budget cuts and tax hikes, is not exactly a very lucky combination.

Because I think that royals watchers are a minority, even in the UK. But I might be mistaken.

of course they are a minority..... I dont think that the pomp for Parliament opening is going to go on and thats fine.

Could someone explain Prince Charles Uniform, his necklet , collar, large Collar, Green Sash and Decorations ??? Thanks

I do think we have seen the last of the Crown being worn during the State Opening of Parliament, however, I fully expect it to remain a "gala" event with full military regalia, gowns/tiaras, and pageantry. I'm glad I'll always have the memories of HM attending the State Openings in full regalia and ceremony.

Edit Add On - watching William makes me realize where George gets his "I can't be bothered" faces from. Haha.

Last edited:

Even though there were no tiaras /gowns/coaches I was relieved to see that there was still more pomp in the current trimmed down British State Opening than in most of the other Europeans ones . The Dutch comes close.

The motor cars will never replace the wonderful Royal Coaches, which rarely seems to get an outing these days!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Mews

Yes I agree.

The Royal Mews is a working department not a museum. If the horses are not going to be used regularly, especialy for the large set piece events like the state opening, then there's not much point in keeping them.

So I hope they're back next year!

Last edited:
Prince Charles wore the same uniform than the one of last Year sitting next to his Mother the Queen.
Strange the Brtish Governement and its Prime Minister standing at the end !

Prince Charles wore the same uniform than the one of last Year sitting next to his Mother the Queen.

That is because the Prime Minister and (most of) the government ministers are members of the House of Commons and, therefore, cannot seat in the House of Lords where the speech is read.

The Prince of Wales wore an impressive number of decorations, including the Collar (and Star) of the (English) Order of the Garter with the (green) sash of the (Scottish) Order of the Thistle. And, as WBenson explained before, he wore the badges of both the Order of the Bath (on the neck) and the Order of Merit.

Last edited:
Thank you Mbruno, you are always so well informed and clear in your answers .

Today was so sad to witness, but also somehow timely.
I wonder is this part of The Queen's plan to allow us to see this while she is still with us, rather than having to witness it for the first time after her passing?
As ever, her main priority is the succession of the monarchy, rather than herself. And at the moment, with everything that is going on in her family, succession is paramount.

I also noticed that on arrival at Westminster the Duchess of Cornwall exited the car and shook hands with the receiving dignitaries before the Prince of Wales? I'm not sure what to read into this?

The two main people wanting to 'modernise' the monarchy are Charles and William so I can see this as the way forward. It is very clear that Catherine isn't comfortable at the glam events where she has to wear a tiara and other jewels so I can see this as the way forward - fewer and fewer events with the bling.

The BRF is already down to only three events a year in the UK usually (State Opening of Parliament and two State Banquets) down from about 15-20 at the start of the Queen's reign where even a film premiere was a tiara event and all the royals attended the State Opening with all the bling.
"It is very clear that Catherine isn't comfortable at the glam events where she has to wear a tiara and other jewels" What?! How did you come to this conclusion? Never seen the Dss of Cambridge being uneasy wearing jewellery or dressing up. Never!

What woulf be strange about Her Majesty´s government and ministers standing before her or her heirs???

Perhaps it´s been so toned down because The Queen had to skip the occasion and they didn´t want to give the impression this event is as pageant as ever, no matter if the monarch is able to attend or not?

Still there is the question to be answered why the D o Cambridge didn´t wear uniform as well (or both royal men morning suits)...!
I was hoping to find some clarification here.:sad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom