State Opening of Parliament 1: 2002-2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be in real time, straight from BBC1. C-SPAN has aired it every year since 1988. It's really the only regular royal event that can be counted on to appear on a US television network.

Last edited:
It should be in real time, straight from BBC1. C-SPAN has aired it every year since 1988. It's really the only regular royal event that can be counted on to appear on a US television network.

So happy I have a lifestyle that allows me to manage my day any way I want to. Got C-SPAN2 programmed in and looking forward to watching this morning. :bounce:

They've decided on yet another protocol for when and where Charles and Camilla travel. Rather than traveling in a carriage immediately behind the Queen, or in the same carriage, this time they're going well ahead of her.

Last edited:
Just saw Charles and Camilla leaving in their carraige on the BBC.

Camilla looks uber regal. Wearing the Boucheron tiara as usual.

The Queen and Duke have just arrived at the Sovereign's Entrance at Westminster in the Irish State Coach.

The Royal standard is now flying above the Victoria Tower.

As the Queen and the DoE entered the robing room I think I spotted Arthur Chatto and Charles Armstrong-Jones.

I guess it will still take a couple of hours to be on Youtube..Cant wait...

As the Queen and the DoE entered the robing room I think I spotted Arthur Chatto and Charles Armstrong-Jones.

I believe that both of them are Page's of Honour at the ceremony.

Something unusual is happening. Black Rod is stopped in the middle of the corridor and looks quite perplexed. Edit: Probably because prayers were still going on in the House.

Missed the names of the other two pages of honour. Believe one to have the title Viscount.

I enjoyed watching this event. Very good and fresh to see Charles & Camilla attend and I hope it won't be their last attendance.

The coverage was very good and Hugh Edwards did a good job making sure the panel stopped talking at the right moments!
They discussed the fact that the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall were attending for the first time together and the idea came up that the British Monarchy was a kind of evolutionary institution that slowly changes and evolves....that in terms of looking towards the day when Charles becomes king, by having him attend events like this sort of gets everyone used to the idea that one day there will be a new monarch.....that such a change is a slow paced, transition.

It was noted that the Queen's throne is slightly higher than the Duke of Edinboroughs and that the Prince of Wales' State Chair was slightly higher than the Duchess of Cornwalls.

Very true, the Monarchy is changing and the new faces of the old institution is coming into focus. It's just expected.

Isn't this something the Prince of Wales should be doing every year? Why is this the first time since 1996 he has attended the State Opening of Parliament. Surely he can make sure his diary is free for such an important event.

It's not about making room in the diary, he's allowed to go but you'll notice the year he last attended and remember what's happened in between. After last year and the balcony appearance I believe this appearance is very much a 'Charles and Camilla are accepted as my heirs' show.

I think it's now very possible that he and Camilla will be regulars now at the State Opening, as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom