Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no way the British public will support a new yacht.

Notice that now the security is being cut back with The Queen having to use the Sovereign Grant to do some of the security as the Metropolitan Police say they aren't going to do it anymore.

:previous: can you give me the source about security and met police cutting back? I haven't seen that (but then I havent read all of papers)

Look, she is incredibly wealthy. She worked for little of it. She inherited a great deal. Lucky her and her heirs. She costs more than you think. But it is fine if her subjects are happy with it. Only her taxpayers should have a real opinion.

You don't think the Queen works? True she doesn't do physical labour, but being head of state is a job.

Look, she is incredibly wealthy. She worked for little of it. She inherited a great deal. Lucky her and her heirs. She costs more than you think. But it is fine if her subjects are happy with it. Only her taxpayers should have a real opinion.

She has worked for every day for over 60 years. You need to get a real understanding of a monarchy because from your comments you havent a clue

I know you have the right to be on this forum as much as anyone else, but I don't quite understand what you are doing here.

C'mon, unnecessary provocative comment, and you know it ...

:previous:
I trust that subjects in the UK have better knowledge about this particular topic.

Last edited:
I trust that subjects in the UK have better knowledge about this particular topic.

Yes we do. This is a quote from the NHS website

Overall, NHS England has a budget of £95.6 billion for 2014

The annual payment to HMQ is £37 million plus security. There is no way that royal security is expensive enough to top that.

Also - from the MI5 web site (an example of another budget!)

The Security Service's budget is paid from the Single Intelligence Account (SIA). ... The SIA will provide £1.9 billion in funding for 2014-15

If the Monarchy was an department it would be the least expensive. We are talking about and insititution that budget is in the millions not billions. Health, Defence and Education budgets for example would be in the billions. The most expensive goverment institution is laughable quite frankly. Even republicans would have to admit it. :lol:

cepe,
It was kind of you to provide information and comparisons. It is up to UK subjects to fund their current glitzy downgraded regime. As for very expensive NHS, there are many horror stories about it.

Last edited:
Isn't that a normal tax? My house is also taxed every year for the estimated value on the market. Is that new in the UK?

Can someone post the youtube clip , Its beyond my technical abilities. :lol:

The True Cost of the Royal Family Explained - YouTube

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] Sovereign Grant Act: frequently asked questions relating to the Act and on general issues - HM Treasury

Compared to other nations, our Royals are a real bargain with the money to fund them coming entirely from the profit of the Crown Estates.

It is not a real bargain because the profits from the Crown Estates, after all owned by the State and therefore by all British citizens, do not flow into the empty wallet of the Chancellor of the Exchequer but to the monarchy. This stream can not be left out of the whole image. Would the profits first go into the general Revenues of the State, and then the Government would assignate an amount of it for the costs of the monarchy, then this was a much clearer image of the true costs.

:flowers:

If the Monarchy was an department it would be the least expensive. We are talking about and insititution that budget is in the millions not billions. Health, Defence and Education budgets for example would be in the billions. The most expensive goverment institution is laughable quite frankly. Even republicans would have to admit it. :lol:

The billions for Education, for Health, for Defence are for the profit of millions of British taxpayers (who paid these billions anyway). The millions for the Monarchy are for the profit of a small and selected group assignated by principle of hereditary succession.

I think Republicans would have a field day with your argument about the billions vs the millions....

Isn't that a normal tax? My house is also taxed every year for the estimated value on the market. Is that new in the UK?

No. In the UK, we all pay Council Tax, which is based on the value of the property. In addition, Labour wants to impose a further tax on properties worth more than £2m. This is quite ridiculous as:

1) On acquisition, properties of value in excess of £2m pay stamp duty of 7% of the value of the property to have it registered

2) Pay an annual council tax which is also linked to the value of the property.

This populist, left leaning vote grabber will hit homes in London, where often a largish family apartment or family home can often cost c£2m.

In my country there are two property taxes as well: the Taxe Foncière on the rental value of the property (Valeur Locative Cadestral) and the Taxe d'Habitation which is paid by, the name already says it, the inhabitants of a property (no matter rented or owned). Als in my country of origin (the Netherlands) these two taxes exist, so it does not really sound outrageous in my ears, to be honest.

In my country there are two property taxes as well: the Taxe Foncière on the rental value of the property (Valeur Locative Cadestral) and the Taxe d'Habitation which is paid by, the name already says it, the inhabitants of a property (no matter rented or owned). Als in my country of origin (the Netherlands) these two taxes exist, so it does not really sound outrageous in my ears, to be honest.

We are not talking about taxes on rental properties. This tax will hit a lot of hard working families in the London area who will get hit because their family home is now valued over the £2m limit, even though they bought it for a lot less, have not sold it, and derive no income from it. They already pay council tax on it. All this will do is depress prices of £2-3m homes in the London area.

I think the Crown whose residences [In London & Edinburgh at least] are official, and part of the job should be exempt.
The Private residences will obviously, be taxed, should this punitive, 'class war', legislation be enacted..

I wasn't sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here as I feel that it is the closest thread to the topic of the article - please feel free to move if this is in the incorrect thread.

The Queen and the royal family will have to pay a mansion tax on their portfolio of country estates if Labour is elected, Ed Balls has said.
The shadow chancellor said that royals will not be exempt and will have to pay the taxes "just like everyone else" for properties which are not open to the public.
The Queen has paid income tax and capital gains tax for decades, but she and the Royal family are likely to be hit significantly harder by a mansion tax.

Ed Balls: Queen and Duchess of Cambridge will pay Labour's mansion tax - Telegraph

I was wondering if the Duchy of Lancaster and Duchy of Cornwall are solely for the purposes of financing the work of The Queen and Charles (and their respective families) meaning everything has to be accounted for, or can the remainder be kept by the recipient to spend on whatever they want? In other words, can the Duchies fund their private lives or just their Royal working lives?

The Duchy of Lancaster not only provides the Queen with her private income but also funds the official duties of the Duke of York, the Earl of Wessex, the Princess Royal and several other members of the Royal family.

The Sovereign Grant is provided to the Queen to cover her official duties including maintenance and upkeep of the occupied royal palaces, official travel and to pay her staff.

The Queen voluntarily pays income tax on revenue she received from the Duchy, which is exempt from corporation tax.

The Duchy of Cornwall provides an income to Charles for both official and private duties and he in turn uses this money to support Camilla, William, Kate and Harry as well as Prince George.

Charles voluntarily pays income tax on revenue from the Duchy of Cornwall.

Last edited:
Remember that The Queen doesn't get a 'salary' as such so she needs a private income for basic things like food and clothes.

The Sovereign Grant covers the official costs of the Head of State. Other countries pay their Heads of State a salary to do the job but the British don't. In the Middle Ages the Duchies were established to separate the private income of the monarch from the then income of the Crown Estates which was to be used to run the country.

George III arranged the situation whereby the government received the income from the Crown Estates and paid him some of that for his official duties - formerly known as the Civil List. This figure was set at the beginning of each reign and until QEII was not increased during the reign. When most young royals reached 21 or married, in the case of the girls, they were then voted an amount as part of the Civil List e.g. Prince Albert was voted 10,000 pounds (and Queen Victoria was angry as earlier consorts had been given 50,000 pounds). The Queen decided - with a lot of pressure from the public and the government of the day - to repay the Civil List payments of everyone except herself, Philip and The Queen Mother - in 1992 and also decided that she should pay tax on the Duchy of Lancaster.

Charles was paying tax voluntarily on the Cornwall estate from when he took control - it was reportedly at 50% before he married Diana when he reduced it to 25% to cover her costs and then again in 1992 was encouraged to pay the correct amount for the income.

Over the years the government also paid for the maintenance of the occupied royal palaces but the body they set up actually decided what would be done each year and it wasn't necessarily what was the most important. It also didn't keep pace with the costs of maintenance and the maintenance bill is now about 30 million pounds behind.

In 2012 the parliament changed the system again - whereby the Sovereign Grant came into being with one amount paid to cover what used to be covered by the Civil List and the maintenance of the royal palaces with the monarch able to decide exactly what needs to be done - hence the decision to spend 4 million on upgrading Apartment 1A at KP over doing some other maintenance would have been made by the Queen.

The Sovereign Grant covers expenses such as the upcoming State Visit, the salaries of The Queen and Philip's secretaries who assist them in their official duties along with other such staff but not their personal staff.

The Sovereign Grant has to be accounted for directly - to the last penny - and is presented annually for scrutiny but The Queen doesn't open the books from the Duchy of Lancaster although Charles does for the Duchy of Cornwall (up to a point - we don't get the nitty-gritty of the private budget but we do get the figures for the public expenses of his family).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom