The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Its amazing how people jump on what H&M should do with the money they're reputed to be getting through a deal with Netflix. This deal isn't Harry and Meghan's *personal* money coming in. Its their production company's and will be used to fund and finance the programming they want to produce with Netflix having the streaming rights.

"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have launched a production company, which will be based at Netflix. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have signed a multi-year deal with the streaming giant for scripted series, docuseries, documentaries, features and children's programming, Deadline has confirmed."

No where is it hinted that the Sussex bank account is going to be overflowing with green dollars and, hence, can afford to just cut a check for the repayment of renovations to Frogmore Cottage at this time.

Harry and Meghan's production company (which is a commercial business in and of itself) has absolutely nothing to do with Harry and Meghan's private financial status.

Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Majesty

Although the BBC report below refers to 'taxpayer funds' it makes clear that the renovation of Frogmore Cottage was paid for from Sovereign Grant moneys.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-48746609

Old 09-06-2020, 09:03 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its amazing how people jump on what H&M should do with the money they're reputed to be getting through a deal with Netflix. This deal isn't Harry and Meghan's *personal* money coming in. Its their production company's and will be used to fund and finance the programming they want to produce with Netflix having the streaming rights.

"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have launched a production company, which will be based at Netflix. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have signed a multi-year deal with the streaming giant for scripted series, docuseries, documentaries, features and children's programming, Deadline has confirmed."

No where is it hinted that the Sussex bank account is going to be overflowing with green dollars and, hence, can afford to just cut a check for the repayment of renovations to Frogmore Cottage at this time.

Harry and Meghan's production company (which is a commercial business in and of itself) has absolutely nothing to do with Harry and Meghan's private financial status.
so why are they dong this job if they don't expect their bank account to be "overflowing with green dollars" in due course. They are doing this to make money and they will need to as they have an expensive lifestyle. And as you know they have a private fortune, so could have cleared the money in the UK before their move to Canada or the USA.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Majesty

The couple have made arrangements to pay off the Sovereign Grant money on Frogmore Cottage in instalments, and they did so before they left England. If that wasn't acceptable to the Royal Household then they should have objected at the time. They didn't so apparently these arrangements were satisfactory.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:20 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Rees Mogg states that the crown estate is the property of the sovereign in an ultimate sense but doesn’t actually prove his point.

He says that the monarch is like any other landowner with regard to the crown estate. He states that the crown estate can be passed from generation to generation because the monarch owns that property outright. This is not correct because parliament can alter the line of succession. The next monarch can be, like George I, a distant relative of the previous one or indeed not related at all.

He just asserts that, like ancient feudal duties, the obligations of the crown estate to pay for certain government expenditure, would have just fallen away over time. He believes therefore that if the monarch did not surrender the crown estate they would have the profits & none of the historical obligations. This contention is used to support his eccentric opinion that somehow the monarch is doing us a favour by being so generous at the start of each reign. The truth is somewhat different.

If the monarch did not surrender the crown estate they would be responsible for paying for much of the government. Tens of billions in today’s terms. So Rees Mogg’s claims are a fantasy.

He obfuscates when another MP points out that there is a distinction to be drawn between the monarchy as an institution & the monarch as an individual.

He quotes Charles I, of all people, as an example of someone who had defended the liberties of the people! A man who ruled without parliament for over a decade.

It would be interesting to know who he thinks the crown estate would belong to if Britain became a republic. Rees Mogg has the confidence & articulacy typical of his class & education but there is a lack of substance to his arguement.
Old 09-06-2020, 11:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Whether or not they should pay back is rather a moot point IMO as they have agreed to pay it back. There is a point in saying if they are making millions why are they still only going to pay back so little each year.

This goes back to - they could come out and make a point that their production company will be making programmes for Netflix with the streaming service spending up to $150million on their programmes....the couple's company has to fund the making of the programmes which is expensive....any profits at the end of it all will go to the company and some may then go to H&M. They may of course also take a salary, even a hefty salary, but I can't see them earning all that much from this really and production of new ideas can take years. Why they don't just make a point of saying this I don't know....unless they want to be seen as so successful and so rich....
Old 09-06-2020, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post

It would be interesting to know who he thinks the crown estate would belong to if Britain became a republic. Rees Mogg has the confidence & articulacy typical of his class & education but there is a lack of substance to his arguement.

Based on his reasoning, I suppose he would answer that, if Britain became a republic tomorrow, the Crown Estate would revert to being the personal property of Mrs Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor.

Interestingly, as you have pointed out though, if Parliament changed the line of succession, as it did in 1701 when it picked the 54th in line (or something like that) to succeed, the Crown Estate would still be held in trust (for the duration of his reign) by whoever was chosen to be the next King, who might not be a descendant of Elizabeth II.

Therefore I also disagree with his claim that the Crown Estate is owned personally by the Queen. But I agree with him that the Queen is entitled to receive compensation for surrendering the Estate's revenue (and management) to public bodies. That is where you disagree, I think.
Old 09-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Based on his reasoning, I suppose he would answer that, if Britain became a republic tomorrow, the Crown Estate would revert to being the personal property of Mrs Elizabeth Mountbatten-Windsor.

Interestingly, as you have pointed out though, if Parliament changed the line of succession, as it did in 1701 when it picked the 54th in line (or something like that) to succeed, the Crown Estate would still be held in trust (for the duration of his reign) by whoever was chosen to be the next King, who might not be a descendant of Elizabeth II.

Therefore I also disagree with his claim that the Crown Estate is owned personally by the Queen. But I agree with him that the Queen is entitled to receive compensation for surrendering the Estate's revenue (and management) to public bodies. That is where you disagree, I think.
Yes I can only assume that he would. Which is patently absurd. The same goes for the two duchies in any hypothetical republic.

Indeed. In fact the monarch does not have to be a descendant of any previous monarch. It is possible, if unlikely, since I'm not sure how such a scenario would happen. Were the Bernadottes of royal Swedish descent?

Clearly the monarch needs an income & I guess the present system is as good as any. I suppose I bristle at the word compensation. As though they're doing us a favour. After all the crown estate is just the remainder of land seized at the conquest of England by a foreign power. Even it is was a long time ago!

It would be useful to know how other monarchies are funded I think.
Old 09-06-2020, 01:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Whether or not they should pay back is rather a moot point IMO as they have agreed to pay it back. There is a point in saying if they are making millions why are they still only going to pay back so little each year.

This goes back to - they could come out and make a point that their production company will be making programmes for Netflix with the streaming service spending up to $150million on their programmes....the couple's company has to fund the making of the programmes which is expensive....any profits at the end of it all will go to the company and some may then go to H&M. They may of course also take a salary, even a hefty salary, but I can't see them earning all that much from this really and production of new ideas can take years. Why they don't just make a point of saying this I don't know....unless they want to be seen as so successful and so rich....
I am not sure they'll do all that well from this deal. It depends on how well their ideas go.. and I don't think people really want to be preached at so..
but re the Frogmore debt, I mean honestly, if the RF /PTB didn't think that the money needed to be paid back, do you think that Meg and H would pay it back? Clearly it was felt that it DID need to be paid back and they had to agree to do it....
Old 09-06-2020, 01:35 PM
Imperial Majesty

From the onset of the desire to "go their own way", one important thing was stressed and that was that they'd no longer receive funds from the Sovereign Grant. As the renovations to Frogmore Cottage were paid by the Sovereign Grant, it stands to reason that they would reimburse those funds.

They came to an agreement and as far as I know, they haven't reneged on the deal made as far as reimbursing the funds. So, where's the beef?
Old 09-06-2020, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
From the onset of the desire to "go their own way", one important thing was stressed and that was that they'd no longer receive funds from the Sovereign Grant. As the renovations to Frogmore Cottage were paid by the Sovereign Grant, it stands to reason that they would reimburse those funds.

They came to an agreement and as far as I know, they haven't reneged on the deal made as far as reimbursing the funds. So, where's the beef?
Its been explained. They have a deal now that will presumably make them a lot of money, they alsos have a private fortune...
Old 09-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Their private financial matters are just that. Private. Their production company is a totally separate corporate beast and will have its own accounting department and financial advisors. The production company's funds have absolutely *nothing* to do with the Sussex *private* financial deals.

What matters is that there is an agreement in place to pay back the Sovereign Grant. As long as they adhere to this agreement, there's *no* problems.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Nobility

A deal is a deal where I live.
Old 09-06-2020, 02:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunking View Post
A deal is a deal where I live.
What deal are you referring to? The one to pay back for Frogmore or the deal with Netflix
Old 09-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
What deal are you referring to? The one to pay back for Frogmore or the deal with Netflix

As long as they have a foothold on Crown Estate property (Frogmore Cottage) It does seem British taxpayers won’t let up on these US residents.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalriada View Post
As long as they have a foothold on Crown Estate property (Frogmore Cottage) It does seem British taxpayers won’t let up on these US residents.
The BBC is reporting that the Duke of Sussex has now repaid in full the cost of renovating Frogmore Cottage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54062799

The following excerpt from the BBC article is worth quoting.

Quote:
It was Harry and Meghan who announced that they would repay the cost of renovating Frogmore Cottage. In such way a line is drawn, and the couple may perceive themselves to be free of any of the obligations they once laboured under.

And Frogmore Cottage stands empty, a rather lonely monument to an unhappy chapter in the royal story.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The BBC is reporting that the Duke of Sussex has now repaid in full the cost of renovating Frogmore Cottage.

That’s done and dusted, then
Old 09-07-2020, 05:20 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:

Hurray, the Frogmore Cottage discussion is over, now the repayment is completed!!!
Old 09-07-2020, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
That’s done and dusted, then

The DM is reporting that the renovation cost was repaid with money the Sussexes got from the Netflix deal.

It sounds unwise to me as that should be investment money, especially considering the big operation they are setting up (with feature films, documentaries and children's programming).
Old 09-07-2020, 05:25 PM
Nobility

A deal is a deal and they paid for the renovations made to Frogmore Cottage.

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances