Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Join The Royal Forums Today

Unread 05-27-2020, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
1 This is my understanding as well although I can see how a different interpretation can also be drawn from the wording of the official government guidance on the act.
But as a matter of pragmatism, an interpretation that is at odds with the explicitly stated intentions of the Parliament and Government isn't likely to gain traction.

Quote:
2 I suspect that the wording will be changed to "heir apparent" at some point. Granting an heir presumptive 20 million a year for some unknowable period would be unprecedented. Such an individual could amass a very considerable fortune over a decade or more & then be replaced by an (infant) heir apparent.
I don't see a considerable fortune as more of a necessity for an heir apparent than an heir presumptive. In fact, there are higher odds that a Princess Charlotte who is heiress presumptive to a childless King George would be old enough to require funding for full-time royal duties and financially supporting her own children or grandchildren, compared with a child or grandchild of King George who is heir apparent, who would have higher odds of being single or not (yet) a full-time working member of the family.

Unread 05-27-2020, 01:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
But as a matter of pragmatism, an interpretation that is at odds with the explicitly stated intentions of the Parliament and Government isn't likely to gain traction.

I don't see a considerable fortune as more of a necessity for an heir apparent than an heir presumptive.
I do your understand your first point & I don't necessarily disagree that much.

Your second point - I do agree in this sense - an heir apparent doesn't need such a large income either. What is the funding of other heirs?

Unread 05-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Serene Highness

Not sure if it will go anywhere, but the House of Lords is currently considering a Duchy of Cornwall Bill, in order to:

"Amend the succession to the title of Duke of Cornwall; to remove various powers, exemptions and immunities from the Duchy of Cornwall; to make provisions relating to the Treasury Solicitor and any solicitor or attorney appointed in the affairs of the Duchy; and for connected purposes."

https://services.parliament.uk/Bills/2019-21/duchyofcornwall.html
Unread 05-27-2020, 01:57 PM
Courtier

Is this a private members bill I wonder? There have been others in the past.
Unread 05-27-2020, 02:06 PM
Courtier

Here we go - from 2108 but it's the same sponsor as this one in 2020 as well I'm sure.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords...-10-26a.1080.1

Wordy but interesting.
Unread 05-27-2020, 02:26 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Here we go - from 2108 but it's the same sponsor as this one in 2020 as well I'm sure.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/lords...-10-26a.1080.1

Wordy but interesting.

In other words this bill probably won't go anywhere?
Unread 05-27-2020, 02:45 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawin View Post
In other words this bill probably won't go anywhere?
Yes I'm sure that's the case. Private members bills are about 90% unsuccessful. That's to do with the parliamentary time they have allotted not the subject of the bill. The vast majority of legislation is government led.

Under a different (non Conservative) government who knows. Don't be misled by its failure though, the questions are unlikely to go away, that's clear when you read the debate. And this is the Lords, far less adversarial than the Commons.
Unread 06-30-2020, 05:32 PM
Royal Highness

A long, but easy to read, article from the last 24hrs.

"Royal Flush ...The royal family has more than doubled its income ...yet tensions in the family over money remain"

Royal finances expert David McClure, author of the forthcoming book, "The Queen's True Worth", is quoted.

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/20...s/content.html
Unread 06-30-2020, 05:39 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
A long, but easy to read, article from the last 24hrs.

"Royal Flush ...The royal family has more than doubled its income ...yet tensions in the family over money remain"

Royal finances expert David McClure, author of the forthcoming book, "The Queen's True Worth", is quoted.

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/20...s/content.html

This is a heavily biased, one sided and factually inaccurate article that really has nothing to do with Royal Wealth and Finances but all about pushing his new book.

It’s a shame this person can pass as an “expert” when most of the posters on this forum know more than he.
Unread 06-30-2020, 06:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
This is a heavily biased, one sided and factually inaccurate article that really has nothing to do with Royal Wealth and Finances but all about pushing his new book.

It’s a shame this person can pass as an “expert” when most of the posters on this forum know more than he.

Mr McClure’s book is not mentioned in the article as far as I can see Lumutqueen.

He did not write this article.

Two other people wrote this article.

In a couple of places they quoted David McClure.

I pointed out in my post that he has a forthcoming book, “The Queen’s True Worth”, as I created a thread for this book yesterday.

You have mis-directed your criticism of the article by singling out Mr McClure, who did nothing but provide a few quotes to the actual writers of the article.
Unread 06-30-2020, 06:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

It will be interesting to see what levels the Sovereign Grant goes back to when the BP refurb is paid for. The RF seem to go through periods of either chronic under or over funding IMO.
Unread Yesterday, 08:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
It will be interesting to see what levels the Sovereign Grant goes back to when the BP refurb is paid for. The RF seem to go through periods of either chronic under or over funding IMO.
My understanding is that the Sovereign Grant has been settled at 15% of the annual profits from the Crown Estate, with certain "stabilisation" features to prevent major fluctuations from year to year. There is an incremental allocation to fund the one-off refurbishment of BP.
Unread Yesterday, 09:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
This is a heavily biased, one sided and factually inaccurate article that really has nothing to do with Royal Wealth and Finances
Can you name an instance of a factual inaccuracy in the article?

I have read the article and it is certainly about British royal wealth and finances.
Unread Yesterday, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
You have mis-directed your criticism of the article by singling out Mr McClure, who did nothing but provide a few quotes to the actual writers of the article.

I think you’ll find I have not misdirected any of my own criticism, thank you.

He is quoted in the article as being an expert, I believe as I wrote, there are better people in this forum who are greater experts than he.

As to the no mention of his book, there doesn’t have to be a mention. The fact you yourself made the connection that he has a book coming out and suddenly appears in an article supposedly about royal wealth and finances, is enough to show it’s a targeted attempt to link the two.

Quote:
Can you name an instance of a factual inaccuracy in the article?

I have read the article and it is certainly about British royal wealth and finances.

I think this point makes my argument quite clear;

“In other words, the Queen is flush with cash.”

We’ll agree to disagree on the contents of the article.
Unread Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I think you’ll find I have not misdirected any of my own criticism, thank you.

He is quoted in the article as being an expert, I believe as I wrote, there are better people in this forum who are greater experts than he.

As to the no mention of his book, there doesn’t have to be a mention. The fact you yourself made the connection that he has a book coming out and suddenly appears in an article supposedly about royal wealth and finances, is enough to show it’s a targeted attempt to link the two.

I think this point makes my argument quite clear;

“In other words, the Queen is flush with cash.”

We’ll agree to disagree on the contents of the article.
Thank you for the clarification, but I cannot agree that "the Queen is flush with cash" is a factual inaccuracy; by any measure she has more cash in reserve than the average British citizen.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree that citing the sources of the information reported changes the topic of the article from royal wealth and finance.
Unread Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Royal Highness

[QUOTE=Lumutqueen;2323632]

I don’t understand your thinking on this at all Lumutqueen.
Unread Yesterday, 06:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification, but I cannot agree that "the Queen is flush with cash" is a factual inaccuracy; by any measure she has more cash in reserve than the average British citizen.

Yes, we will have to agree to disagree that citing the sources of the information reported changes the topic of the article from royal wealth and finance.
Appreciate your common sense here Tatiana Maria.
Unread Yesterday, 07:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
My understanding is that the Sovereign Grant has been settled at 15% of the annual profits from the Crown Estate, with certain "stabilisation" features to prevent major fluctuations from year to year. There is an incremental allocation to fund the one-off refurbishment of BP.

Hasn't it been raised recently to 25 % rather than 15 % of the surplus revenue from the Crown Estate?
Unread Today, 03:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Hasn't it been raised recently to 25 % rather than 15 % of the surplus revenue from the Crown Estate?

Since 2017/18 it’s been 25% yes.
Unread Today, 04:17 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Quote:
Since 2017/18 it’s been 25% yes.
As I understand it, that incremental 10% is the funding for the repairs and renewals works at BP.

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances