The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
And I think your comment is very fair. It's the ones that just scratch the surface of this issue and then criticize her without looking at facts that some of us have issues with. Unfortunately, most of the brands that do what you describe are no longer the major brands we hear about. It's the contemporary brands that haven't quite achieved the economies of scale. Meghan does, over time, tend to favor those brands where she lives. But that obviously comes with time. She does this a lot with Canadian brands, but she just spent 7 years there and was immersed in that scene in Toronto.

And she does seem have a number of British (or British educated) designers working in another country that she supports. And I have to wonder if there is a bit of support for her fellow immigrants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyflo View Post
I think it's quite difficult these days for people who want to ensure that their clothes are made ethically & are eco-friendly. A 'green' button from overseas might be better than a plastic one produced at home. A UK company providing fair wages to an overseas women's co-operative using organic cotton might be worth supporting. I like the fact that Meghan takes the trouble to consider where her products comes from & how green/ethical they are. It's all about balance & considering how much revenue comes back in jobs & taxes etc. Generally, a UK company will generate more revenue here than one based in New York or Rome. I like BRF working members to show their support for UK brands, particularly those companies who provide jobs here & pay their fair taxes. Meghan has done that & I'd like to see her do it even more in future. I don't restrict this to Meghan either. I've said previously here that it applies to all the working BRF.
I have to agree with you both that it is great to see Meghan support small, artisanal producers, like Huit jeans or Strathberry handbags. The attention ladies of the BRF can bring to these producers can substantially alter their businesses and be a positive force. It would be good to see Meghan and Catherine do a lot more of this.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Less relevant, as the higher value-added jobs in areas such as designing, merchandising, sourcing, supply chain management tend to be in the UK, whilst some of the "components" and manufacturing could be outsourced to lower cost locations.

British fashion industry heavily relies upon international talent from top to bottom.

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle...-a3931611.html
Quote:
'It’s tariffs, and an exodus of [European] shop staff, designers, warehouse staff, delivery drivers… As we “take control of our borders”, the pool of available staff is likely to shrink, meaning an inflationary impact on wages. It’s likely to be massively disruptive.
(...)

more than 10,000 European staff work in the British fashion industry
(...) We have 25 different nationalities in our London office. If [Brexit] jeopardises that, it’ll be a major loss.’ Writer and consultant Nick Vinson points out, ‘Many great “British” designers are European and proud of it’
(...)

However, some 80 per cent of her stitchers are Eastern European.
(...)

Three quarters of materials used in the UK are imported

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCzAp5IhyL4
Old 06-17-2019, 03:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
It is too superficial for words that an adult woman's popularity depends on whether she wears a British designer or not.

It is just the DM framing.

While in the meantime DM readers and staff wear only imported goods and project their own behavior on DoS.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...g-Britain.html
Quote:
Official figures show that around 90 per cent of everything we wear comes from abroad

Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, "Bigoted Brits will be infuriated and unforgiving. I am already getting emails about how “the woman will pollute the bloodline” and stain national purity" https://inews.co.uk/opinion/columnis...tional-family/
Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Let's get back on topic. Recent discussion has gone way beyond the scope of the thread, which into discuss royal wealth and finances and not the finer details of the Duchess of Sussex's fashion choices nor the fashion industry in the UK and beyond.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Perhaps our discussion could have been moved into the fashion thread rather than being moved into this one?
Old 06-17-2019, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Perhaps our discussion could have been moved into the fashion thread rather than being moved into this one?

The article was about the cost of Meghan’s clothes, and how much is being spent which does sit in this thread. However if the article had been about the designer and brand of the clothes, then it would have sat in the Fashion Thread. Hence now the discussion going off topic.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder how much HM is spending on clothes and accessories
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I think Meghan is probably the wealthier one in the marriage anyway. I wish her the freedom to purchase what she likes. No matter it is Italian, American, Indian or British. Amen
Really, do you think so.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
Really, do you think so.

I don't know Meghan's net worth, but it is not entirely out of the realm of possibility that she is personally wealthier than Harry.

Harry's personal fortune amounts mostly to what he inherited from Diana (which hopefully he has invested soundly) and perhaps what he may have collected from trust funds that were set up in his name by his paternal grandparents. The money he gets from the Prince of Wales for his current expenses doesn't count to his net worth and I don't think his pension as a retired Army officer amounts to much beyond a normal middle-class income.

Having said that, Meghan was only a B-list actress, so her net worth shouldn't be huge either. She must have made a lot of money with Suits though.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
No one knows because HM does not shop at Zara, HM or Primark, so we have no idea about the prize tag, as the items she wears simply do not have a prize tag. Any guess is as good as it is.

It is also a possibility that important royals actually pay lower prices because they generate interest in the labels. Not that it is always helping: LK Bennett went bankrupt anyway, despite being the favourite brand of Catherine of Cambridge.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:08 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Having said that, Meghan was only a B-list actress, so her net worth shouldn't be huge either. She must have made a lot of money with Suits though.
Fact is that she is going to continue pulling in an income from the acting jobs that she has had. Hallmark channels here in the US are still running movies that she's starred in and should Suits go into syndication, she'll also be pulling in royalties for those episodes she's appeared in each time they air. That's got to be considered a pretty neat little nest egg if you ask me.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rena M. View Post
That would definitely be a difficult exercise. I watched a documentary a while back about HM's Dresser and the work rooms the four or five seamstress's use. There were wonderfully light and airy rooms where there were innumerable bolts of cloth, probably going back to her Queen Mary's day at least.

I would imagine that many were gifts that have accumulated over the years and now HM has her own palace department where most of her clothes are made.

There were shelves and shelves is hats in various stages of re-trimming and a very long rail of her signature umbrella trimmed with every colour of the rainbow.

So, we can cost out her Launer handbags, shoes and brollies, but not her clothes per se. Her evening dress could be made by Alexander McQueen but she may have provided the horrendously expensive silk satin embossed fabric and that mat have been from her Mother's stock.

So, HM's are mostly tailor made for her, so how could anyone cost it out.

As to the cost of Megan's clothing, the DM et al have no idea what a successful 37 year old actress has in her closet (not accepting she is a died in the wool shoe addict as we saw in the Tig before Harry) and have recognised on her feet after she married. They mostly punt on the 'rich' side for shock and awe.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 AM
Serene Highness

That programme sounds really interesting
Old 06-20-2019, 02:52 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Fact is that she is going to continue pulling in an income from the acting jobs that she has had. Hallmark channels here in the US are still running movies that she's starred in and should Suits go into syndication, she'll also be pulling in royalties for those episodes she's appeared in each time they air. That's got to be considered a pretty neat little nest egg if you ask me.
I would add: regardless if one felt she was A-list, B-list, she was a working actress who was pulling in $50,000 per episode... many people don't make that per year. Meghan also had, tv movies, a contract with a clothing line and the Tig as way to earn an income. She may not have been at royality status but she was doing quite well for herself.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:08 PM
Majesty

The key financial details reported today are:

The total Sovereign Grant for 2018-19, including the dedicated amount for Reservicing, amounted to £82.2m (2017-18 £76.1m), equivalent to £1.24 per person in the UK.

The £82.2m Grant is made up of a Core Grant of £49.3m and an additional dedicated amount for Reservicing of £32.9m.

Additional income generated from facilities management charges and property rental increased to £17.8m (2017-18 £17.3m), up 3%.

The official expenditure in the year met by the Sovereign Grant was £67million, up 41% (2017-18 £47.4m), primarily due to higher levels of spending on property, including £14.1m on Reservicing and £25.1m on maintenance from the Core Grant.

£15.2m was transferred to the Sovereign Grant reserve (2017-18 £28.7m) to fund future phases of the Reservicing of Buckingham Palace.

Other key data for 2018-19:

Over 3,200 official engagements across the UK and overseas undertaken by members of the Royal Family.

Over 160,000 guests welcomed at Royal Palaces at events such as garden parties and investitures.

Over 7.9m people saw items from the Royal Collection Trust in Royal Palaces.

Read more: Financial Reports 2018-19
Old 06-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Imperial Majesty

You know what? I think it’s a big slap in the royal family’s face when people get upset about the royals spending. That family work too hard on behalf of the people, nation and Commonwealth, for people to complain about the price of palace, castle and home renovations.

Do people understand that members of the royal family live and work in very old places? Do people understand that it’s takes lots money for members of the royal family to conduct official engagements around the UK, Commonwealth and world on behalf of the Monarchy and people? I mean, really?

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-25-2019, 04:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
You know what? I think it’s a big slap in the royal family’s face when people get upset about the royals spending. That family work too hard on behalf of the people, nation and Commonwealth, for people to complain about the price of palace, castle and home renovations.

Do people understand that members of the royal family live and work in very old places? Do people understand that it’s takes lots money for members of the royal family to conduct official engagements around the UK, Commonwealth and world on behalf of the Monarchy and people? I mean, really?
No they don't. I'm fairly sure that any survey would show that a large % of British people:
  • don't know that most foreign visits & tours are at the request of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office,
  • don't understand what the Crown Estates are or how the profits are used,
  • believe that the BRF are funded via the taxes taken from people's income,
  • don't realise that the BRF don't actually own BP, Clarence House, KP, Frogmore etc.

They see headlines in papers about "HRH somebody has spent £££ of your taxes on this extravagant thing for themselves". They see photos of the BRF in designer clothes & expensive jewels jetting off around the world or attending banquets & functions in palaces or top hotels. People whose lives are very different to that ask questions about what benefit the BRF are to them & in many ways that's understandable if they don't know the full picture of what the BRF does & how it's financed.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:04 PM
Nobility

For those who don't bother to read the actual report, but still link the mindless, pathetic drivel that the Fail pushes. The funding for William and Harry (and their families) rose all but 89k from the year before Meghan joined. Of course not one single British far-right tabloid will report on this.

https://twitter.com/PaganTrelawney/s...05562426064896
Old 06-26-2019, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
No they don't. I'm fairly sure that any survey would show that a large % of British people:
  • don't know that most foreign visits & tours are at the request of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office,
  • don't understand what the Crown Estates are or how the profits are used,
  • believe that the BRF are funded via the taxes taken from people's income,
  • don't realise that the BRF don't actually own BP, Clarence House, KP, Frogmore etc.

They see headlines in papers about "HRH somebody has spent £££ of your taxes on this extravagant thing for themselves". They see photos of the BRF in designer clothes & expensive jewels jetting off around the world or attending banquets & functions in palaces or top hotels. People whose lives are very different to that ask questions about what benefit the BRF are to them & in many ways that's understandable if they don't know the full picture of what the BRF does & how it's financed.
To be fair, the Sovereign Grant is still an indirect form of public funding as, otherwise, 100 % of the Crown Estate surplus revenue would go to the Treasury and be spent elsewhere.

Having said that, the British Royal Family is still the only RF n Europe AFAIK that is not funded by general taxes ( the most precise definition of “ taxpayer money”). That puts the British royals in a more comfiortable position compared to their continental cousins as far as criticism of their expenses is concerned.

Tags
british royal family, civil list, finances