Royal Wealth and Finances 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article, thanks for posting. IMO the royal family should be funded within reason. The grace and favor for the Kents, Gloucesters etc should not be cut back because the perform important duties for Britain. The royal family are part of the mechanism that generate interest and tourism that, I'm sure, brings in loads of cash to British GdP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, but with the passing of the current generation, you will almost certainly see a trimmed BRF.

I agree that the grace-and-favour apartments for members of the Royal Family should remain, but staff should have to pay for their accomodation. The Government should also come up with the funds to fix the state of the buildings - imagine the outcry against the Royals if someone was actually hurt by falling masonry? Her personal wealth should have nothing to do with any negotiations about the Civil List - it is there to cover her official expenses as Head of State.

I agree that the grace-and-favour apartments for members of the Royal Family should remain, but staff should have to pay for their accomodation.

The wage bill for staff wil rise considerably if the grace and favour apartments are taken away and more "market rate" wages will need to be paid

Yes, I agree. It's the same with anyone whose job is linked with a dwelling. The employer has to pay out more if the staff member has to find his/her own accommodation.

Queen pushes for extra £6m - Times Online

David Cameron is on a collision course with the Queen as her aides push for a huge increase in the £7.9m annual civil list.

The monarch has not had a pay rise for 20 years and needs an extra £6m a year to maintain current spending on her state duties.

Once a death, cornation, or wedding takes place then they will agree that the BRF gives good bang for the buck. Or pluck for the pound. . .:whistling:

Perhaps BP could suggest the Civil List be increased at the same percentage rate as the amount spent on running No 10 and all its associated offices and 'advisers'? :D

She really shouldn't be asking for money. She has enough money as it is. Now someone who's working a 9 to 5 job, at $8 per hour need a raise. Not the Queen.

She's not asking for money for herself, or for a raise.

She really shouldn't be asking for money. She has enough money as it is. Now someone who's working a 9 to 5 job, at $8 per hour need a raise. Not the Queen.

Lets not forget the Civil List has been at the same levels for 20 years now. Assuming 2% year on year inflation, thats worth roughly 40% less than it was 20 years ago!

Let's not forget that she does do a job and for more hours than 9 - 5. She is a Head of State and all Heads of State get paid.

I think they should simply work out an appropriate salary in line with other European Heads of State e.g. Presidents of Germany and France and any other expenses on behalf of the state should be billed to the state. Her salary should be indexed to inflation or some other index to stop this constant harping.

Just because she is independently wealthy doesn't mean she shouldn't get some of her expenses paid as Head of State - and the Civil List is the money to pay those who work for her. In my plan these employees would all become Civil Servants and be paid at the same rate as their equivalent Civil Servants.

Maintenance of the buildings owned by the state - BP and Windsor should be maintained by the state like every other landlord who allows someone to live in their homes.

£30bn taxes and cuts package to be announced in Budget - Telegraph

On the same day as the Budget, Mr Cameron is expected to propose new ways of providing funding for the Queen in place of the current Civil List system.

He is likely to say that under existing arrangements, due to be renewed this year, the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh would be in line for a doubling of their current annual payment of £7.9 million – a move which would be sharply out of step with the current squeeze on the public finances.

Instead, the Prime Minister is likely to examine plans for either a comprehensive grant which would also cover the cost of the Royal Family's travel and the upkeep of palaces, or funding the Queen from the income generated by the Crown Estate.

Queen should lead charity campaign, urges Government adviser - Telegraph

The Queen should lead a "civic revolution" by persuading the public to give one per cent of income to charity, a senior Government adviser has said.

In a radical document to be published this week, the Queen is urged to use her diamond jubilee in 2012 to campaign for a dramatic increase in giving.

Last edited:
BUDGET 2010: Civil List stays frozen at £7.9million | Mail Online

Funding for the Queen's household by the taxpayer through the Civil List will remain frozen at £7.9 million for the coming year, Chancellor George Osborne announced today.
Delivering his first Budget statement to the House of Commons, Mr Osborne said the freeze was made with Her Majesty's full agreement.
A new means of support for her will be proposed at a later date, he added.

As Queen accepts pay freeze Charles's spending is soaring | Mail Online

Prince Charles has escaped the austerity measures which have hit his mother along with the rest of Britain, his annual accounts are expected to show.

While the country tightens its belt in the economic downturn, and the Queen has accepted a freeze in her funding from the taxpayer, Charles has hired extra staff.

The Queen has cut back on her staff but her son has reportedly hired extra housekeepers, valets and gardeners to tend to his royal homes.

But doesn't Charles pay for his expenses through the Duchy of Cornwall, so the taxpayers aren't paying anything for him.

Do William and Harry take a salary for their military duties?

An Associated Press story (I work for a financial news service and get a direct feed from AP) is saying the UK public has "wild ideas for cuts".

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100819/ap_on_bi_ge/eu_britain_crazy_cuts_2

I would hope the British public would not consider getting rid of the monarchy. They're the one reason I visited England this year. They bring in more money than they cost IMHO.

Last edited:
There has been no talk about abolishing the monarchy to save money, or not that I have read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom