The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2020, 05:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The reality is as they move further away from being "working members of the Royal Family" they will become celebrities with a high public profile in the same way as other celebrities. I don't see why they shouldn't have to pay anything at all to their own security when they are using their positions to make money from that former position.

They have a choice

move to Canada and leave behind the level of security they are use to
or
stay mainly in the UK and get the security they are use to

They may see that as unfair but that is the choice they have and life is full of tricky choices for all of us from time to time.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

That 20M figure is an exaggerated number like much things they post. They also claimed their wedding security cost 30M and then the report showed it was more like 5M. These numbers are reported to rile the public up. And it works.

That said it will not be cheap and it will be a discussion. I think it’s also pretty clear that their security status likely isn’t changing in the immediate future.

Old 03-02-2020, 02:51 AM
Royal Highness

I was listening to an interesting radio show - where the journalist (I presume) noted something interesting. When the royals stay in an already secure area - Buckingham Palace complex or Windsor Castle complex it is cheaper as security has already worked the bugs out - when a new house/estate is brought there is a lot of security evaluation that comes into that. So if Harry and Meghan live near the California governor or close to the Canadian president - the security bill will be cheaper.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I'm going by memory here but if I'm remembering right, wherever a royal chooses his/her residence, security measures are "beefed" up accordingly such as when Charles went to boarding school (or was it William?), the dorm room for him was fitted with stuff like bullet proof glass and a secure phone line. I'm doing this from memory so don't quote me on this.

Highgrove has buildings on the estate itself specifically for the security detail, their rest areas and command center. One thing for sure is that security is taken very seriously.

Harry and Meghan moving anywhere near the Governor General's mansion or anywhere near someone with nationally provided security won't amount to a hill of beans in H&M's case as they not be anywhere near the "parameters" of the security reach provided. H&M's security would cost them as much as if they lived over the river and through the woods away from nationally provided security detail.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
The reality is as they move further away from being "working members of the Royal Family" they will become celebrities with a high public profile in the same way as other celebrities. I don't see why they shouldn't have to pay anything at all to their own security when they are using their positions to make money from that former position.

They have a choice

move to Canada and leave behind the level of security they are use to
or
stay mainly in the UK and get the security they are use to

They may see that as unfair but that is the choice they have and life is full of tricky choices for all of us from time to time.
Its perfectly fair. They wanted out of the RF, part time and were told they could not do that, it would have to be full time or nothing. They chose not to be working royals and to live abroad. They can't expect the tax payers or the Canadain govt to go on paying for their security indefinitely.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Its perfectly fair. They wanted out of the RF, part time and were told they could not do that, it would have to be full time or nothing. They chose not to be working royals and to live abroad. They can't expect the tax payers or the Canadain govt to go on paying for their security indefinitely.
I agree with this. One part of realizing life as private citizens is the realization that all of us live with and that is there ain't no such thing as a free lunch and nothing is for certain except death and taxes.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:12 AM
Courtier

Harry and Meghan seem to have decided to live more months away from the already secure royal residences in Britain than perhaps everyone imagined.

To live full time in Canada or America surely means a large security expense that the public might object to paying for - not to mention the officers themselves having to live abroad and away from family.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
To live full time in Canada or America surely means a large security expense that the public might object to paying for - not to mention the officers themselves having to live abroad and away from family
If the public are expected to shell out for the security of a [self imposed] expat, and his foreign wife, l predict there will be a significant increase in Republican sentiment..
Old 03-02-2020, 04:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the Jungle View Post
Harry and Meghan seem to have decided to live more months away from the already secure royal residences in Britain than perhaps everyone imagined.

To live full time in Canada or America surely means a large security expense that the public might object to paying for - not to mention the officers themselves having to live abroad and away from family.
yes that is what the issue is. Their original plan seems to have been to live partly in Canada and partly in England where they would live in Frogmore. Now they are mainly going to live abroad, it seems and only visit England.. so while Frogmore is a secure base, it will only be tehir residence for maybe a few weeks a year, spaced out. So obviously they will be needing security abroad in a strange location for say 10 or 11 months a year. And if they are not doing royal duties any more, there seems to be no reason why they should ask the tax payer for them to pay for their security. If they are travelling to the US or other places for their work, that wil be another addition to the expense.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:21 AM
Imperial Majesty

Thinking along the lines of the Sussex security questions, it reminds me of an old Moody Blues album I've been meaning to dig out again. "A Question Of Balance". One thing I think that is going to happen is that if H&M decide part of the year in N. America and part of the year in the UK, they may even experience themselves the differences.

Say, for example, when they are in the UK at Frogmore, they still retain RPOs from the Met as members of the royal family, then when in N. America, responsible for their own security detail and paying for it, they're most definitely going to notice the difference in the coverage and the quality of the service that surrounds them.

It'll be Paris revisited I think. Private security answers to H&M themselves while the RPOs from the Met call the shots. It may prove interesting to watch what develops over time.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:31 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Thinking along the lines of the Sussex security questions, it reminds me of an old Moody Blues album I've been meaning to dig out again. "A Question Of Balance". One thing I think that is going to happen is that if H&M decide part of the year in N. America and part of the year in the UK, they may even experience themselves the differences.

Say, for example, when they are in the UK at Frogmore, they still retain RPOs from the Met as members of the royal family, then when in N. America, responsible for their own security detail and paying for it, they're most definitely going to notice the difference in the coverage and the quality of the service that surrounds them.

It'll be Paris revisited I think. Private security answers to H&M themselves while the RPOs from the Met call the shots. It may prove interesting to watch what develops over time.
But they're not going to be in Frogmore all that much. I think they will come for a couple of weeks during the year and do their charity engagemettns or come and see family.. but they wont be steadily resident there and most of the security they know and experience will be in Canada. And probably it will be private. So they're not going to really "notice a contrast" because they wotn be in the UK long enough. Anyway Hary has had RPOs all his life.. so he's used to what they are like. Hopefully it wont be "like Paris", in that if H has private security, he will listen to them and do what they say and not try and go his own way, so htat his safety will be assured as much as is possible.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:36 AM
Nobility

Security costs is still a big debate in UK:

Breakfast telly show Good Morning Britain conducted a poll for followers of the show on Twitter.
Since it surfaced yesterday, 90.6 per cent said taxpayers shouldn't fun security
On the show today, Diana's ex-protection officer suggested Queen pay the bill
Ken Wharfe warned that farming it out to the private sector would be a 'disaster

https://youtu.be/D7IJviOheiw

'Taxpayers should not have to pay Harry and Meghan's security bill'
https://mol.im/a/8064505
Old 03-02-2020, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

It may well be that the Public feels an choice should be presented - return to live in the UK to live [but not necessarily as 'working Royals'] and we will pay for your security, OR live abroad and 'do what you will', but pay for your own security ?

90% of any poll is a pretty conclusive result...
Old 03-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Heir Apparent

It is interesting that yet another formal member of the royal protection squad is against them going into the private sector for security. And it makes me wonder if they are that vocal while no longer working in those position, then I would imagine the current ones are just as vocal. And if they are the ones who have the final say then where does it go from there? It seems even if they wanted to do away with their RPOs that they would be advised against it.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:42 AM
Serene Highness

I wish we could get past this Diana security thing. Her death was very sad, but she did not need Royal Protection Officers to stop her from getting into a car with a drunk driver or to make her fasten her seatbelt.

I bet that the Queen and Prince Charles end up being saddled with the bill. They're not going to want a public row that would damage the monarchy and embarrass the government. It just seems unfair that they should have to pay for the results of Harry and Meghan's choices.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
seems unfair that they should have to pay for the results of Harry and Meghan's choices.
It certainly does ! They may pay the financial bill, but others will 'also pay', in terms of more onerous workload - nothing will persuade me that the Sussexes are anything but selfish...
Old 03-02-2020, 01:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
It certainly does ! They may pay the financial bill, but others will 'also pay', in terms of more onerous workload - nothing will persuade me that the Sussexes are anything but selfish...
It certainly illustrates how wise the Windsors have been to try to instill a sense of duty in family members; when uncoupled from duty, the consequences of being raised with such privilege is apparently a massive sense of entitlement.

I feel terrible for the RPOs who are basically now forced to live half their lives away from their families, hobbies, responsibilities at home, etc.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Selfish, yes, but I would also add entitled. Imagine thinking so highly of yourself and believing yourself to be so spectacularly important that you believe yourself to be entitled to millions of dollars in security costs, hassles, and international negotiations. I find myself more and more gobsmacked every single day by these two. I understand that threat assessment, assignment of officers, etc. is done at the discretion of the Met. But, the only right thing to do here is to recognize the hassles and headaches you're heaping onto everyone around you and offer to pay for your own security.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
is to recognize the hassles and headaches you're heaping onto everyone around you and offer to pay for your own security
That would require a level of self-deprecation and awareness of others [see 'sacking of staff'] that sadly this pair signally LACK...
Old 03-02-2020, 03:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Its also hugely unfair to put pressure on their protection officers having them flying back and forth from UK to Canada. These people may well have or be wanting to start their own family lives and will now have to spend considerable time out the country. Being able to get home each night at the end of their shirt of even being elsewhere in the UK (e.g. at Balmoral in the summer etc) is nothing compared to that.

That is also why the cost will be so high (even if its not £20mill) as the officers won't want to be working all the time in Canada (hence the need for regular flights) and will want to be living somewhere reasonably comfortable to make it all bearable.

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism