The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-25-2018, 04:31 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A few posts have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...tles-9610.html thread.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Because Alice was a working Royal and lived in the UK. The Duchess of Windsor wasn't, and lived abroad...
Like anyone with a risk profile, regardless the public function, monseigneur et madame les Ducs de Windsor will have enjoyed discreet protection from the Sûreté and the Paris' police.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:30 PM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Several posts discussing Samantha Markle and any potential security issues have been deleted.

The Markles are to be discussed in the Duchess of Sussex: Family and Background thread only. As it is currently closed, the Markles are off-topic to all other threads in this forum and any posts discussing them will be deleted as such.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:48 PM
Aristocracy

Are former spouses of royals entitled to Scotland Yard Protection?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal_enthusiast View Post
Are former spouses of royals entitled to Scotland Yard Protection?
I don't think so. Heck, not even every spouse of a royal get 24/7 RPO.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:16 PM
Aristocracy

That’s a good point, not even Sophie gets 24/7 RPO. I’m just wondering that if let’s say Sarah for some reason is deemed as needing protection would it be provided to her or not?
Old 10-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
That’s a good point, not even Sophie gets 24/7 RPO. I’m just wondering that if let’s say Sarah for some reason is deemed as needing protection would it be provided to her or not?
I don't think Sarah would be on the radar at this point. For Diana, they wanted to continue provide security for her after the divorce, but she declined. However, it was made clear that she had to have them with her when the boys are with her. Although her situation was different from Sarah as she was the mother of the future king.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Scotland Yard would protect anyone if there was a risk, just as Salman Rushdie received police protection for years after a fatwā was placed upon him.
Sarah Ferguson would get police protection if a specific, credible threat was made against her as would any ex spouse of a royal.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:57 PM
Imperial Majesty

If an ex-spouse was deemed 'at risk' then the police would provide security as deemed appropriate. They did for Salman Rushdie for instance and he was never a member of the BRF.

They did offer 24/7 security for Diana after the divorce and she accepted it for a period and then did away with it, except when with the boys.

They assess the needs for 24/7 security on a case by case basis. As Harry moves further from the throne and the hysteria around Meghan settles down she will probably lose the 24/7 security and I doubt that their children will have it for very long, if at all - but again that will depend on the assessed risk.

Remember that Beatrice and Eugenie had that level of security growing up but as soon as they left university it was dropped so I suspect Harry's children - also the children of the second son - will either not have it at all or only on certain occasions, unless there is a level of threat we aren't told about.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Remember that Beatrice and Eugenie had that level of security growing up but as soon as they left university it was dropped so I suspect Harry's children - also the children of the second son - will either not have it at all or only on certain occasions, unless there is a level of threat we aren't told about.
The York princesses didn't receive it based on the risk assessment though. That was back when children of the sons of the monarch would receive 24/7 regardless. They changed the rule to risk based in the 2000s, which was when the York princesses lost theirs (although I believe it wasn't taken away immediately, they were given some time and that lasted until end of uni).
Old 10-18-2018, 05:04 PM
Aristocracy

So let’s say The Duchess of Cambridge divorces The Duke of Cambridge would she after the divorce receive police protection in your opinion?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Heir Apparent

In the immediate after the divorce, yes. She would be in the media alot so be getting a lot of attention. 10 years down the line who knows! Certainly she would live in a well protected house and if she called the police they would probably come quicker and with more back up than if you or I called them.
But as her children, George at least, would receive police protection she would be getting some level of protection while he was around.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

IIRC Diana was offered protection after her divorce from Charles but refused the offer.

LaRae
Old 10-18-2018, 05:19 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We know that its the Metropolitan Police/Scotland Yard that provides the RPOs that protect the royal family but what is lesser known is that there is also a department for VIP security. Its possible should Sarah need protection (lets say for the time of Eugenie's wedding and celebrations), it would most likely be provided through that department.

This department also provides security for visiting dignitaries and high profile, at risk people. I read about this in Ken Wharfe's book because that is the department he went to after leaving as Diana's RPO.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
So let’s say The Duchess of Cambridge divorces The Duke of Cambridge would she after the divorce receive police protection in your opinion?
No doubt IMO.
She is, also after a divorce, one of the most high-profile women in the world and she is after all mother to a future king.
She would be a potential target for extremists, kidnappers, stalkers and other nutcases of all kinds.
Extremists because no matter what, she would still have millions of devoted followers and be the center of constant media interest. Any extremist hurting her would have succeeded in getting whatever message they have across.
Kidnappers because as such a high-profile woman and a mother to a future heir, there is no way any demands for a ransom will be ignored.
Nutcases have all kinds of motives, becoming famous by harming one of the most well-know women in the world would be one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
IIRC Diana was offered protection after her divorce from Charles but refused the offer.

LaRae
Yes, instead she had privately hired bodyguards. And the police in the various countries she visited (including UK) offered police protection on a as-need basis.
Apart from that the world was different when Diana died. Not necessarily less dangerous for a woman like her, but the authorities were perhaps more naive back then.
I simply cannot imagine Diana not having 24/7 protection were she around today.
No security agency in any country would wish to be caught with their pants down not having offered her protection, only for her to be attacked.
I will go so far as to claim that most countries wouldn't even ask her.
- It would be a take it or stay away option.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

Would the same apply to Meghan if she divorced Harry?
Old 10-18-2018, 05:59 PM
Majesty

Diana always had security. Even when she had no protection from Scotland Yard she hired private security.
Anyone know if Eugenie and Beatrice still have security? And Zara Philips and her brother? I believe that Sarah Ferguson will still have some sort of security.
But this is something that is never known well because the real house never divulges these things.
I believe that Catherine and Meghan will always have security for the rest of their lives, the first for obvious reasons and the second even in case of divorce will always be linked to the royal family and so is always at risk of some kind of threat.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Would the same apply to Meghan if she divorced Harry?
Yes, but IMO for a considerably shorter period. Then some sort of privately engaged security will have to take over.
She is after all further down the royal pecking order than Kate. And Meghan's children are almost certainly destined to never getting near the throne.
I imagine that after a year or two Meghan will be of limited interest to kidnappers and extremists. Even the number of nutcases wishing to harm her would IMO be reduced.
The most dangerous period for Meghan in this hypothetical divorce scenario will be during the period leading up to and the first year after a divorce. And mainly from nutcases.
One of the things I could easily imagine would trigger at nutcase-attack would be if someone blame Meghan for the "fairy tale-image" of her and Harry shattering. Whether that would be justified or not is besides the point.
After the first year I believe the risk of anger-nutcase-attack would be greatly diminished. I.e. most nutcases would have cooled down or found someone else to focus their obsession on.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Currently the Metropolitan Police's RPO unit provides 24/7 security for The Queen, Philip, Charles, Camilla, William, Kate, George, Charlotte, Louis, Harry, Meghan, Andrew, Edward and Anne.

They provide security for the following when they are underataking official duties: Sophie, Richard, Birgitte, Edward, Katherine and Alexandra.

They do not provide security for anyone else.

Andrew pays for security for Beatrice and Eugenie. When they lost their security, on graduating from university, he offered the existing teams around each girl more money to stay with the girls and leave the Met which some of them did. To complete the teams for his daughters he has always insisted on security officers with Met training.

Diana was offered, and initially accepted, full 24/7 protection after the divorce. Her paranoia reached such a point that early in 1997 she decided to do away with it, unless she had the boys with her, and relied on her own or others. Had she still had decent protection she would never have been in that car on that night.

Sarah was not offered any security after her divorce and Andrew didn't provide any. Of course when she was with the girls they had security and so there was protection for her as well.

None of Edward nor Anne's children have ever had security.

As I said, up thread, security is now determined not on the title but the risk assessment on an individual case by case basis.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:05 PM
Courtier

It just occurred to me—by living (part of the time, when she’s in Britain, anyway) with Andrew still, Sarah does benefit from his protection detail and only needs paid security when out and about. I wonder if that is part of why they’ve chosen their unconventional living situation. I also wonder if the security already in place at Kensington and St. James are a reason why the Queen chose to allot Beatrice and Eugenie living quarters in those palace complexes, to simplify what they (or, rather, Andrew) need to arrange for in terms of private security.

Tags
british royal family, gloucester, kent, kidnapping, minor hrh, royal security, security, terrorism