Royal Ascot 3: 2019 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a lady curtseying to C&C, and then she also curtseyed to Peter Phillips;that must have surprised him .

Interestingly Charles didn't 'represent The Queen' at Royal Ascot. According to the CC no royals officially attended the races. In the past only The Queen and DoE were listed as attending but I was expecting Charles to be listed as 'representing The Queen' this year but not to be.

A note if I may about the couple in the last carriage that most of you probably have never heard of - Mr and Mrs V'landys.

Peter is the head of horse racing in Australia and in 2020 managed to keep horse racing going, without crowds, right through the lock-down. He never allowed it to be shut down by very quickly putting forward a proposal that was accepted by all the governments - to basically divide each state into regions and each jockey, trainer etc worked within that region but the horses could be moved around to race. It did mean other trainers, jockey etc having to work with strange horses and that happened.

In addition he is also the man in charge of the National Rugby League, our second most popular football code here. He got that back up and running very quickly as well and the hardest part of that was getting the NZ Warriors into Australia, into two weeks quarantine where they could also train and then have the season continue, initially behind closed doors but eventually with crowds.

At one stage the Australian PM (Morrison) was having a phone call with the Queen and she commented how lucky we were to have horse racing continue. I think she was jealous that we had such a committed person heading the racing here to keep it going - and thus all those involved in the racing industry and most involved in Rugby League were able to continue working and not need to be on the benefits that so many had to go onto at that time.

This is a great honour and one I am pleased he has received. (and he is a great bloke to go along with all his hard work and is one of my brother's best friends and work colleagues).

Last edited:
Let's keep track of the carriages. I've put those riding multiple times in bold and members of the royal family in italics. The Lord de Mauley is the Rupert Ponsonby, 7th Baron de Mauley and since 2018 'Master of the Horse' - I assume this is the reason that he was in one of the carriages on both days; he is also a member of the House of Lords:

DAY 1
Carriage 1:
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall
Peter Phillips

Carriage 2:
HRH The Duke of Gloucester
HRH The Duchess of Gloucester
HRH Prince Michael of Kent
HRH Princess Michael of Kent

Carriage 3:
HRH The Princess Royal
The Lord de Mauley
Mr. William Nunneley
Mrs. William Nunneley

Carriage 4:
Earl of Hopetoun
Countess of Hopetoun
Mr. Tom Hooper
The Lady Alexandra Hooper

DAY 2:
Carriage 1:
HRH The Prince of Wales
HRH The Duchess of Cornwall

Vice Admiral Sir Tony Johnstone-Burt

Carriage 2:
The Earl of Wessex
The Countess of Wessex
The Lord de Mauley
The Lady de Mauley

Carriage 3:
HRH Princess Alexandra, the Lady Ogilvy
The Countess Mountbatten of Birma
HRH Princess Beatrice, mrs. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi
Mr. Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi

Carriage 4:
Mr. David Bowes-Lyon
Mrs. David Bowes-Lyon
Mr. Peter V'Landys
Mrs. Peter V'Landys

Last edited:
A note if I may about the couple in the last carriage that most of you probably have never heard of - Mr and Mrs V'landys.

Peter is the head of horse racing in Australia and in 2020 managed to keep horse racing going, without crowds, right through the lock-down. He never allowed it to be shut down by very quickly putting forward a proposal that was accepted by all the governments - to basically divide each state into regions and each jockey, trainer etc worked within that region but the horses could be moved around to race. It did mean other trainers, jockey etc having to work with strange horses and that happened.

In addition he is also the man in charge of the National Rugby League, our second most popular football code here. He got that back up and running very quickly as well and the hardest part of that was getting the NZ Warriors into Australia, into two weeks quarantine where they could also train and then have the season continue, initially behind closed doors but eventually with crowds.

At one stage the Australian PM (Morrison) was having a phone call with the Queen and she commented how lucky we were to have horse racing continue. I think she was jealous that we had such a committed person heading the racing here to keep it going - and thus all those involved in the racing industry and most involved in Rugby League were able to continue working and not need to be on the benefits that so many had to go onto at that time.

This is a great honour and one I am pleased he has received. (and he is a great bloke to go along with all his hard work and is one of my brother's best friends and work colleagues).

This is the kind of detail I love to hear, the name would have just passed over if you had not kindly provided us with the ' filling'.
This is where the forum comes into its own with an international input.
Thank you

David Bowes-Lyon - according to my research on wikipedia is the son of Simon Bowes-Lyon who is a first cousin of The Queen making David a second cousin (or first cousin once removed depending on who a person calculates cousins and I am not going to get into a debate on that issue ... I was taught that the children of my parents' first cousins were/are my second cousins and that was what my grandmother was taught by her British born aristocratic parents and other relatives.

David Bowes-Lyon - according to my research on wikipedia is the son of Simon Bowes-Lyon who is a first cousin of The Queen making David a second cousin (or first cousin once removed depending on who a person calculates cousins and I am not going to get into a debate on that issue ... I was taught that the children of my parents' first cousins were/are my second cousins and that was what my grandmother was taught by her British born aristocratic parents and other relatives.

Actually he's another David Bowes-Lyon whose grandfather was the Queen Mother's first cousin. On his mother's side David is a first cousin of Andrew Parker Bowles. His wife Elizabeth is the daughter of Sir Jock Colville (private secretary to the Queen while she was still a princess & later assistant private secretary to Sir Winston Churchill) and his wife Lady Margaret Egerton, a lady in waiting to both Princess Elizabeth and the Queen Mother.

https://www.thepeerage.com/p6959.htm#i69581

David Bowes-Lyon spoke out against The Crown's portrayal of Nerissa and Katherine Bowes-Lyon.

https://www.tatler.com/article/davi...wn-nerissa-and-katherine-bowes-lyon-storyline

So, it seems there are multiple David's. It doesn't seem likely that Royal Ascot would call a Captain 'mr.' (as included was also a Vice Admiral Sir ...), so I wonder whether it might be the other cousin this time.

So, it seems there are multiple David's. It doesn't seem likely that Royal Ascot would call a Captain 'mr.' (as included was also a Vice Admiral Sir ...), so I wonder whether it might be the other cousin this time.

This article says the David Bowes-Lyon who rode in a carriage at Ascot is the son of the Queen Mother's first cousin once removed, which eliminates the other David who's father Simon was her nephew. In addition, the man in the photograph looks the same age as cousin David (born 1947) not great-nephew David (born 1972).

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/racing...-of-sydney-met-the-queen-20220616-p5au33.html

Another source identifies his wife's name as Elizabeth, which matches cousin David. Great-nephew David is married to a Jennifer.

https://royalwatcherblog.com/2022/06/15/royal-ascot-2022-day-2/

I wll be happy when all is over , always the same Royals with other Clothes. And the Guests what a money for clothes and hats. They were lucky for the Weather
A bit shocking during this difficult days.......

I wll be happy when all is over , always the same Royals with other Clothes. And the Guests what a money for clothes and hats. They were lucky for the Weather

I’m glad to see it- especially given COVID restricting it over the last couple of years and current economic (and other) difficult times now. I also like seeing the fashion. Nice distraction.

What good would not having it do?

I'd ban all horse racing on grounds of animal welfare but while it's happening, I like to view the fashions. I don't really care how much they spend on the clothes because I've seen better styling in charity shop windows than on some of the wealthiest women. For me, it's about style and flair much more than the price tags.

Lawdy, Lawdy, Lawdy .... the royal women all failed at Ladies Day. What were they thinking?!

Would the ladies have done better if The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cambridge had ridden in a carriage?

Royal Ascot 3: 2019 Onwards

I’ve never been that keen on Ascot - I wonder if it’s because I’m not a hat person! After two days of seeing the carriage processions, I have had enough. It’s very few Royal ladies that can pull off a good look on successive days and quite a few manage to look hideous on more than one.
Although post COVID, I appreciate the desire to celebrate the return to more normal times, I do think it feels out of kilter this year and self indulgent with the daily exhibition of wealth.

Last edited:
Would the ladies have done better if The Duchess of Cornwall and The Duchess of Cambridge had ridden in a carriage?

Were they even there?

I know Camilla enjoys the races but it seems that the Cambridge's aren't that keen (nor is Charles from all accounts and only goes out of 'duty')

I am quite indifferent to Ascot per se, but I do want to say that events like Ascot, Goodwood or Glyndebourne do create a fair amount of economic activity. The clothes, hats, shoes, hospitality and transportation all create jobs and profits, and fuel the wheels of commerce. So to that extent, I would argue these events are good for the economy and the country, especially in difficult economic times.

Were they even there?

I know Camilla enjoys the races but it seems that the Cambridge's aren't that keen (nor is Charles from all accounts and only goes out of 'duty')

I do not think the Cambridge's have been at Ascot this year at all. Charles and Camilla were only present for the first two days, as they usually are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal Ascot 3: 2019 Onwards

I wonder how it’s decided who rides in the carriages- beyond royals/family.

I wonder how it’s decided who rides in the carriages- beyond royals.

It is usually a fair mix of the BRF and their guests, some of whom may have stayed at Windsor during Ascot week.

I always enjoy watching Charles as he interacts with his nieces and nephews and this was no exception. They appeared to really enjoy their chat and it was good to see him visiting with Zara, Beatrice, and Edo. I was really hoping we'd see Lindsay with Peter but maybe later in the week.

Well it would appear that I got my wish! I'm looking forward to seeing Peter and Lindsay together in the procession today. I'd say it might be safe to assume that we'll see an official announcement of some sort from Peter relatively soon given Lindsay's very public presence at some big events lately.

William and Catherine were joined today by Arthur and Martha Vestey (I bet they get loads of jokes about their rhyming names!). Arthur's father, who was the Queen's Master of Horse, died last year, so it was quite nice that his son and daughter-in-law were invited today.

Lindsay Wallace is definitely very involved with things now. They're both quite recently divorced, so I don't know whether either of them will want to remarry so soon, but who knows?

Prince William and Catherine lead the Royal Procession.

Today's carriages:

1st Carriage
The King
The Queen
The Duke of Wellington
The Duchess of Wellington

2nd Carriage
The Princess Royal
Mrs. Simon Elliot
Sir Ben Elliot
Lady Elliot

3rd Carriage
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Lord Bamford
The Lady Bamford

4th Carriage
Mr. Willie Mullins
Mrs. Willie Mullins
Mr. Ralph Beckett
Mrs. Ralph Beckett

Today's carriages:

1st Carriage
The King
The Queen
The Duke of Wellington
The Duchess of Wellington

2nd Carriage
The Princess Royal
Mrs. Simon Elliot
Sir Ben Elliot
Lady Elliot

3rd Carriage
The Duke of Gloucester
The Duchess of Gloucester
The Lord Bamford
The Lady Bamford

4th Carriage
Mr. Willie Mullins
Mrs. Willie Mullins
Mr. Ralph Beckett
Mrs. Ralph Beckett

Good to see the sisters of the King and Queen travelled in the same carriage at Royal Ascot today.

Back
Top Bottom