Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree...she's taking the supporting role (as we all do at the hubby's job)..and like it or not (for those who are now going to bring up the feminist issue) she will have the supporting role when she is with Harry on these events. When she does her single appearances she will be the one taking charge.

I thought it charming when the first jockey did the head bow to her.

LaRae

LaRae

And there has been times where Meghan's front and center and Harry just takes a step back. But here, he's giving a trophy, she's just trying to stay out of way so that no one is blocked.

My God....give the woman a break! This is her first time at Ascot and she is following Prince Harry's lead as she is supposed to. I remember when she dared open her mouth at the royal foudation event and she was criticised as the pushy American who didn't know her place and should learn from the senior royals. Here she is doing exactly that...and she is overwhelmed!

Now if she had stepped in front of Harry and took over handing out the trophy, everybody would be up in arms about how she doesn't know protocol! She can't win either way it sems!

Last edited:
Nice pictures showing the course a little too.

Those in the fashion winner's enclosure, for me, were Camilla, Sophie and Eugenie.
All the ladies looked lovely but beige has rarely looked better than on The Duchess of Cornwall today.

Almost certainly the Wessex's, the Princess Royal and Prince and Princess Michael [they seem the keenest], possibly the Cambridge's [if not otherwise engaged], the Snowden's and the Chatto's ?
Time will tell...
It would be nice to see the Chattos and the Snowdens.

How wonderful to have someone posting here, who was actually at Royal Ascot PrincessofEurope.

(I noticed you were also there last year, in the final 2017 post on this thread.)

What a great position you must have had to get such close-up photos.

Are you able to give us some insight to the day?

I'm interested in how people are able to be so close to the members of the Royal Family in this area of the racecourse.

Do you go through further security to access this enclosure?

Is it available to anyone willing to pay - or invitation only? Or only for people connected to the actual racing and horses of that day?

How was the temperature?

As someone who always feels the cold, I don't think I could dress for visual impact and then spend the day being chilly.

Racing Carnivals here in Australia are really bad for use of the toilets - never-ending queues. Same for getting something to eat.

Do you think most people go for the actual racing, or more the social aspect?

Are people watching the Royals throughout the day - or once seen, not that much.

We have a thing called "Fashions on the Field" at our races - even small country race events.

Ladies put themselve up and are judged on their outfit - the complete look, and all ages enter.

Prize is usually something like a trip to Paris - which is a bigger deal here than maybe just popping across the channel would be in the UK.

Even little once-a-year meets in little Tasmania have this - and the entrants go all out. Always wonderful to see.

Any first-hand information you're willing to share would be much appreciated PrincessofEurope, and thank you for posting your photos.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is about Ascot Week but for some reason, it always puts me in the mood to watch "My Fair Lady" once again for the umpteenth time. In fact, I found myself looking at the photo of Meghan presenting the race award and did a double take swearing I was looking at Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn). :D

The Ascot Races are the epitome of British culture and its pomp and circumstance and dressing to the nines for an occasion and looking at the hats and the outfits today, it seems that not much has really changed over the years when it comes to this event.

I will be spending many happy hours perusing all updates and information about this year's Ascot Week. I think too, that if ever given the opportunity to attend Ascot Week, I'd even resort to wearing a hat.

They must have read your post Osipi -

Meghan Markle channels Audrey Hepburn on her first outing to Ascot | Daily Mail Online

Meghan looked lovely. It is all a bit grotesque. A horse race is casual. They always need a show. So here it is. Princess Anne looked great. Camilla looked tired and slumped. The queen had one of her million outfits in a different color.

One thing I really like about Ascot Week is seeing the men in top hats. There's something about a man with a top hat that just screams "British" and the epitome of what a gentleman is all about. Harry rocked his top hat today. That's for sure. :D

Harry has been clearly over-protective of Meghan in their public appearances together. As an accomplished career woman and a professional actress, who is therefore used to public events and "playing roles", I find it surprising that she has to rely so much on cues from her husband or other members of the Royal Family. She looks clearly overwhelmed with her new life, which, again, greatly surprises me.

I agree 100%. She is trying too hard to fit in and needs to relax. Harry is hovering over her like he's afraid she might break.

My [horse MAD] sister, Sarah was at Ascot yesterday [as she will be all this week], and she took these photo's from the Royal Enclosure.

I thought you'd like to see them.

Attachments

• hmq.jpg
    hmq.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 120
  • wales.jpg
    wales.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 125
  • sussex.jpg
    sussex.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 118
  • kent.jpg
    kent.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 134
Thanks to PrincessofEurope & wyevale for sharing photos! :flowers:

Our happy and very YELLOW monarch looked to be in great spirit yesterday, so did the rest of the family BTW, including Meghan.

Last edited:
How wonderful for you Princess of Europe to be able to have found a great vantage point and provide us with such great photos. Her Majesty was not going to get lost in the crowd with that lovely yellow outfit.

I have been enjoying all these images and footage from Ascot, thank you for everyone providing these pictures and videos. I'm so glad how well Meghan is received to the family, she gels so well with everyone. She and Harry also aced presenting the trophies, well done. I also like, how much imho, they enjoy these opportunities to dress up, and they make a really handsome pair.

How wonderful to have someone posting here, who was actually at Royal Ascot PrincessofEurope.

(I noticed you were also there last year, in the final 2017 post on this thread.)

What a great position you must have had to get such close-up photos.

Are you able to give us some insight to the day?

I'm interested in how people are able to be so close to the members of the Royal Family in this area of the racecourse.

Do you go through further security to access this enclosure?

Is it available to anyone willing to pay - or invitation only? Or only for people connected to the actual racing and horses of that day?

How was the temperature?

As someone who always feels the cold, I don't think I could dress for visual impact and then spend the day being chilly.

Racing Carnivals here in Australia are really bad for use of the toilets - never-ending queues. Same for getting something to eat.

Do you think most people go for the actual racing, or more the social aspect?

Are people watching the Royals throughout the day - or once seen, not that much.

We have a thing called "Fashions on the Field" at our races - even small country race events.

Ladies put themselve up and are judged on their outfit - the complete look, and all ages enter.

Prize is usually something like a trip to Paris - which is a bigger deal here than maybe just popping across the channel would be in the UK.

Even little once-a-year meets in little Tasmania have this - and the entrants go all out. Always wonderful to see.

Any first-hand information you're willing to share would be much appreciated PrincessofEurope, and thank you for posting your photos.

I was in the Queen Anne Enclosure so was very easy to get to this spot for the procession. I started standing in that area about 2 hours before hand and had quite a few of the worlds press photographers behind me - I knew it was a good spot.

When the crowds heard harry and Meghan were to be there that day lots and lots more people came to see the procession and also when they presented the trophies later in the day. You can also see the Royals walking about and into the royal box. Later in the day after the last race I saw the Queen leaving from the main entrance in her car.

It was a nice day and not as busy as Ladies Day or later in the week. Definitely recommend it. You can see how relaxed the Queen is at these events.

IMG_9586.jpgIMG_9588.jpg

Sorry these pictures aren’t great I have better quality ones on a proper camera!

My [horse MAD] sister, Sarah was at Ascot yesterday [as she will be all this week], and she took these photo's from the Royal Enclosure.

I thought you'd like to see them.

I wondered if your sister was going to go...thanks for posting!

LaRae

Royal Ascot - Day 2:

From Ascot Racecourse twitter - Royal Ascot live updates and videos

TVPC - live coverage from ITV

--------------------

From BBC - Royal Ascot live updates

14:48
Did you know? The Royal Family used to hold its own private morning race on Gold Cup day.

It featured The Queen, her sister, Princess Margaret, and Anne, the Princess Royal, presumably tearing down the course with headscarves flying in the wind.
15:04
The Queen is wearing a blue hat.
The Queen is mixing it up from yesterday's lemon-coloured hat, and plumping for what we think is a powder blue outfit.

She is joined by Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy, the Hon. Harry Herbert, and Vice Admiral Tony Johnstone-Burt in carriage number one.
15:09
A procession lasting 193 years
As the Queen makes her way down the straight mile, I bet you are wondering what the history of the event is?

King George IV was involved in the first procession (or the royal parade as it was known then) in 1825, accompanied by the Duke of Wellington, and three other carriages.

It had previously acted as the starting gun to one day's racing until 1919, when, as a celebration of victory in the World War One, it was changed to feature every day.

It is only on the very rare occasion that the royal procession doesn't happen, such as bad weather in 1964, a general election in 1970 or the state opening of Parliament in 2001.

You may remember that last year the Queen hotfooted it to Ascot after opening Parliament that morning.

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/6463297.html

Countess of Wessex seems to prefer odd sleeve embellishments this year. The hat looks all right.
Princess Alexandra, Mrs Phillips, and Duchess of Gloucester (and her magnificent pearl necklace) looked lovely. Princess Michael's ensemble was an improvement.

Last edited:
And the top winner for the day as far as what one was wearing, for me, is the Queen with her smile. Nothing tops the beaming smile HM seems to wear when she's attending Ascot. :D

Thoroughly enjoying all the pictures and the videos and updates coming in this week. Ahhh.. armchair traveling to Ascot Week in lounging clothes suits me very well.

Thanks all!

How is it decided who rides in the Carriage procession? Neither the Wessexes nor the Gloucester’s were in the procession yet are in attendance.

Day 2 carriages:

1st Carriage
THE QUEEN
Princess Alexandra, the Hon. Lady Ogilvy
The Hon. Harry Herbert
Vice Admiral Tony Johnstone-Burt

2nd Carriage
The Prince of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
Mr. Peter Phillips
Mrs. Peter Phillips

3rd Carriage
The Lord Vestey
The Lady Vestey
The Lord de Mauley
The Lady de Mauley

4th Carriage
Mr. Michael Magnier
Mrs. Michael Magnier
The Lady Susan Hussey
Lieutenant Colonel Charles Richards

HMQ hosts a House-party at Windsor Castle during Royal Ascot, so guests staying there are interspersed with members of the Family who are interested in the Racing..
How exactly they are composed is likely to be decided by the Queen herself WELL in advance..

How is it decided who rides in the Carriage procession? Neither the Wessexes nor the Gloucester’s were in the procession yet are in attendance.

The Queen make the arrangements for those who will ride in the carriage procession. Members of the royal family share the ride with the guest The Queen host at Windsor Castle. So some will ride in the procession and some will arrive by car.

I my be wrong but I get the impression the first day carriage procession is often "mainly royals" and then after that we start to see more and more guests riding in the carriages. Apart from the Queen and possibly Charles and Camilla most only ride in the carriages once I imagine.

2 days in a row riding in carriages for Charles and Camilla so far.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom