Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It reminds me of Sophie tripping in the carriage with Kate last year (I think it was last year!)...funny normal moments.

LaRae

It reminds me of Sophie tripping in the carriage with Kate last year (I think it was last year!)...funny normal moments.

LaRae

Yes, now that carriage trip was funny. That happens when you suddenly change positions in a small carriage.

Continuation of post 1622:

Articles:

Harry and Meghan receive rapturous welcome at Royal Ascot - ITV
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex received a rapturous welcome from Royal Ascot when they joined the Queen for the opening day’s carriage procession.

Just four weeks after marrying, Harry and Meghan enjoyed the sights and sounds of a quintessential English summer event – a day at the races.

Thousands of racegoers cheered and applauded from the stands as the Queen’s carriage led the procession down the course.

--------------------

Duke and Duchess of Sussex join the Queen at Royal Ascot - Telegraph
The Queen spoke about her fondness for Royal Ascot in her foreword for the official programme: "My family and I greatly look forward to Royal Ascot.

"As the royal meeting has evolved in recent times, it remains one of Britain's finest sporting occasions with 300,000 racegoers enjoying the unique heritage of Royal Ascot every year, and many more people watching at home.

"Tradition and innovation sit comfortably together, over five days of racing.

"International competition is a compelling feature in the modern era, and it is always a delight to welcome horses and jockeys from around the world to this wonderful racecourse."

--------------------

14 min video of the carriage procession from Ascot Racecourse (the commentary on ITV was much better BTW):

Last edited:
I wonder if The Queen and other members of the royal family miss racing down the Ascot race course on their horses the morning of Royal Ascot? We haven’t heard about them doing so in decades.

So I wonder who will attend tomorrow ...other than the Queen of course.

LaRae

Almost certainly the Wessex's, the Princess Royal and Prince and Princess Michael [they seem the keenest], possibly the Cambridge's [if not otherwise engaged], the Snowden's and the Chatto's ?
Time will tell...

Will be a surprise if the Sussexes pop up again. Although maybe Meghan likes the races?

LaRae

Didn't the newlyweds present a trophy to the winner of one of the later races?

I don't know what it is about Ascot Week but for some reason, it always puts me in the mood to watch "My Fair Lady" once again for the umpteenth time. In fact, I found myself looking at the photo of Meghan presenting the race award and did a double take swearing I was looking at Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn). :D

The Ascot Races are the epitome of British culture and its pomp and circumstance and dressing to the nines for an occasion and looking at the hats and the outfits today, it seems that not much has really changed over the years when it comes to this event.

I will be spending many happy hours perusing all updates and information about this year's Ascot Week. I think too, that if ever given the opportunity to attend Ascot Week, I'd even resort to wearing a hat.

Not the woman in the giant pink tulle hat and the smart pink suit from Getty pix.

:previous:

:lol::lol:Tacky now....that is a big *understatement* if I ever heard of one..........unbelievable how some dress like H....s. ??

Continuation of post 1622 & 1626:

Articles:

Duke and Duchess of Sussex attend Royal Ascot - BBC
The Duchess of Sussex has joined the Queen to make her first appearance at Royal Ascot.

Wearing the makers of her wedding dress Givenchy, the Duchess arrived at 14:00 BST in a carriage procession with her husband Prince Harry, behind the Queen.

The couple, who were married a month ago at Windsor, presented a trophy to Frankie Dettori for winning the St James's Palace Stakes.

--------------------

Meghan and Harry visit Royal Ascot for a day at the Queen's races - Sky News
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex arrived at Royal Ascot for a day out with her new family, as they joined the carriage procession with the Queen.

Prince Harry and Meghan joined the Earl and Countess of Wessex in an Ascot Landau as they made their way to day one of the event near their wedding venue, Windsor Castle.

The last time the Duke and Duchess sat in an Ascot Landau was on their wedding day, exactly a month ago, on 19 May.
Was it, I mean really.

--------------------

17 min video of ITV's coverage of the carriage procession - from Royal Reviewer:

Last edited:
:previous: Yes, I know that, of course. I was just being ironic, because I don't understand the point of telling us. ?

--------------------

HM was in an Ascot Landau for the Troopng, the rest of the family used other carriages.

I don't know what it is about Ascot Week but for some reason, it always puts me in the mood to watch "My Fair Lady" once again for the umpteenth time. In fact, I found myself looking at the photo of Meghan presenting the race award and did a double take swearing I was looking at Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn). :D

There are worse things than wearing Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn comes to mind.:flowers:

I must say that Meghan looks utterly graceful in this video ...

Last edited:
What a lovely vid! meghan relies so much on Herry's cues and in such a lovingly-trusting way. Enjoyed the sweet moment when she was close to bowing to the gentleman Harry introduced her to, but then remembered that Royal ladies only curtsey of bow to somebody higher up the pecking order and stopped that in such a graceful way.Her expereince in pr-shoots showed when she actively made sure that all honoured persons got a good shot of their time of honour (and here Harry followed her lead) - so the overall impression is a beautiful encounter for all and a duchess who is quick to learn the ropes from her clearly adoring husband. Plus Harry now emits so much more "senior-Royal" vibes.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a lovely vid! meghan relies so much on Herry's cues and in such a lovingly-trusting way. Enjoyed the sweet moment when she was close to bowing to the gentleman Harry introduced her to, but then remembered that Royal ladies only curtsey of bow to somebody higher up the pecking order and stopped that in such a graceful way.Her expereince in pr-shoots showed when she actively made sure that all honoured persons got a good shot of their time of honour (and here Harry followed her lead) - so the overall impression is a beautiful encounter for all and a duchess who is quick to learn the ropes from her clearly adoring husband. Plus Harry now emits so much more "senior-Royal" vibes.

Harry has been clearly over-protective of Meghan in their public appearances together. As an accomplished career woman and a professional actress, who is therefore used to public events and "playing roles", I find it surprising that she has to rely so much on cues from her husband or other members of the Royal Family. She looks clearly overwhelmed with her new life, which, again, greatly surprises me.

Harry has been clearly over-protective of Meghan in their public appearances together. As an accomplished career woman and a professional actress, who is therefore used to public events and "playing roles", I find it surprising that she has to rely so much on cues from her husband or other members of the Royal Family. She looks clearly overwhelmed with her new life, which, again, greatly surprises me.

I don't think she's overwhelmed with what she's supposed to do. But rather humble and allows others to take the lead. Had she been taking the lead, the conversation would be how she doesn't know her place. Wasn't that what a lot of conversations were about before and during the engagement?

She didn't look overwhelmed to me. She looks like any of my coworker's spouse at the Christmas party that doesn't know anyone (which shouldn't surprise anyone since she has never been to Ascot before) and usually goes around with their spouse and chat with people their are introduced to in a somewhat chaotic situation.

Last edited:
There are worse things than wearing Givenchy and Audrey Hepburn comes to mind.:flowers:

Amen sister!

LaRae

I don't think she's overwhelmed with what she's supposed to do. But rather humble and allows others to take the lead. Had she been taking the lead, the conversation would be how she doesn't know her place. Wasn't that what a lot of conversations were about before and during the engagement?

She didn't look overwhelmed to me. She looks like any of my coworker's spouse at the Christmas party that doesn't know anyone (which shouldn't surprise anyone since she has never been to Ascot before) and usually goes around with their spouse and chat with people their are introduced to in a somewhat chaotic situation.

I agree...she's taking the supporting role (as we all do at the hubby's job)..and like it or not (for those who are now going to bring up the feminist issue) she will have the supporting role when she is with Harry on these events. When she does her single appearances she will be the one taking charge.

I thought it charming when the first jockey did the head bow to her.

LaRae

LaRae

Some (most?) of these women look so tacky.

SUCH is 'equality'and 'democratisation'.. when Ascot was 'exclusive' and [solely] 'Aristocratic', this manner of dress was UNHEARD of...and [mercifully] unthinkable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom