Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May well be a co-incidence. This sort of colour co-ordination is not usual.

I was of course being sarcastic, but I did think it was funny they all had the same colour on. You would think the other two would check ahead and make sure they don't match the Queen.

Picture:
Zara Tindall greeting her grandparents and giving The Queen a curtsey:
#teamgordons

They're off! The Queen is joined by grandson Prince Harry for first time at Royal Ascot-
http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal/483034/Royal-Ascot-Prince-Harry-joins-Queen-at-race-day

"His absence along with that of his brother Prince William, and the Duchess of Cambridge, has prompted speculation that they felt Ascot with all its class divisions might not represent the best image for a 21st century monarchy.

But that theory was exploded today when Harry, who will be 30 in September, sat in the royal box. Aides said his absence until now and the continuing absence of William and Kate was down to a busy schedule.

The Cambridges. who were enjoying some downtime today after a busy series of events including Trooping the Colour and Garter Day, are not expected to attend Royal Ascot this year, according to Kensington Palace officials."

Last edited:
Serena Linely and Beatrice definitely my top two! Beatrice beats Serena slightly because I don't like fussy little fascinators.

I think the William, Harry and Kate probably don't like horse racing as much as some members of the family do rather than some of class thing. William is probably home watching the World Cup.

Also when in the military they would have to take off for Trooping and Garter Day for William so they would mostly be needed back on duty afterwards.

Can you imagine trying to keep George contained in that setting? I don't blame the DoC for staying home!

LaRae

I think the William, Harry and Kate probably don't like horse racing as much as some members of the family do rather than some of class thing. William is probably home watching the World Cup.

Also when in the military they would have to take off for Trooping and Garter Day for William so they would mostly be needed back on duty afterwards.

I agree - I don't think William or Harry are into horse racing as much as their father and his siblings. Polo is more their thing, whereas I know Charles plays polo but I don't think I have ever heard of Andrew or Edward playing polo.

Well, every now and then they attend the Cheltenham Festival and Derby so what's the problem attending Royal Ascot?

Can you imagine trying to keep George contained in that setting

Small children are not admitted to the Royal Enclosure at Royal Ascot... It really isn't fun or suitable for them.

I may have out of date information, but i believe one has to be 18 to gain admittance.

Children aged 10 and over can be in the Royal Enclosure. I remember Zara attended once as a little girl so I have no doubt someday Louise will attend before she reaches adulthood.

I agree - I don't think William or Harry are into horse racing as much as their father and his siblings. Polo is more their thing, whereas I know Charles plays polo but I don't think I have ever heard of Andrew or Edward playing polo.

I sort of thought this as well, but the Express article mentioned that Harry was part owner of a race horse prospect - Usain Colt, and Catherine's parents @ one point owned part of a race horse as well, so perhaps there's hope.

I don't think I have ever heard of Andrew riding

I don't think I have ever heard of Andrew riding

That's a good point actually. His brothers and sister have been seen regularly on horses in adulthood but I can't think of a time Andrew has as an adult.

I sort of thought this as well, but the Express article mentioned that Harry was part owner of a race horse prospect - Usain Colt, and Catherine's parents @ one point owned part of a race horse as well, so perhaps there's hope.

Usain Colt! :ROFLMAO: Now that has made my day. That is a perfect name for a horse that goes very very fast. Wonder if the horse has a special little dance at the finish line too.

I think that the Cambridges are more social race goers. They went to the derby the year that the Queen's horse was the favorite but the whole family was almost there. However you can't pencil them in every year like you can for Wimbledon.

Well, it was a shock to see Harry attending Royal Ascot because he has never gone, so we may see William & Catherine attend this year or perhaps the next. It's just funny how it's never explained why they don't attend.

Serena Linely and Beatrice definitely my top two! Beatrice beats Serena slightly because I don't like fussy little fascinators.

Serena Linley rocked her look. That's how you pick a hat for a dress. And that was a lovely young floral print she wore.
I'm not so sold on these big hats that have a flight of twists moving across them. I get the bird analogy - but I am already tired of it.
I also liked Stephie Graf's herd of triangles. ;)

Quite a crowd

I could not help notice that there seemed to be a greater that normal Royal presence in the first procession of this week's Royal Ascot meeting.

In the first carriage along with HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh were Princes Andrew and Harry.

The second carriage featured The Prince of Wales, his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall and his 2 York nieces Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.

In the 3rd carriage were The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester along with their cousins Prince and Princess Michel of Kent.

While Viscount and Viscountess Linley (and 2 others unknown to me at this point) were in attendance in the fourth carriage.

Also at the meeting were the Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, her children Peter Philips (with wife Autumn) and Zara Tindall (with husband Michael).

By my math, that is at least 21 members of the family. I cannot remember there ever being that many Royals in attendance....although I am not complaining !

Children aged 10 and over can be in the Royal Enclosure. I remember Zara attended once as a little girl so I have no doubt someday Louise will attend before she reaches adulthood.

I came across my copy of Royalty Monthly w/Zara attending Ascot back then on the cover just the other day. She was dressed very demurely IIRC. A type of style she'd never be accused of wearing these days. :D ;)

Forget who asked, but no, this not what Beatrice wore to Zara and Mike's Wedding. That's an outfit I clearly remember because it was and still is one of the best outfits Beatrice has ever been seen in IMHO. I keep waiting for her to wear it again, but so far it has stayed in her closet sadly.

Loved what Sophie had on today. Nice comeback from TtC and Garter Day yesterday fashion wise. Also thought HM looked lovely and I really liked Zara's outfit too. As for the York sisters, I liked both outfits, but my goodness what a big difference pulling back her hair made w/Eugenie!! Who would have thought such a simple thing would make such a huge difference, but Wow!! I did like Beatrice's look, but that stupid clunky huge bracelet kept it to only a like. If that thing hadn't been there, then it would have been a love.

Of course the biggest win goes to Prince Harry on his first Ascot appearance. Did he look dashing or what!?!

I could not help notice that there seemed to be a greater that normal Royal presence in the first procession of this week's Royal Ascot meeting.

In the first carriage along with HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh were Princes Andrew and Harry.

The second carriage featured The Prince of Wales, his wife, the Duchess of Cornwall and his 2 York nieces Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.

In the 3rd carriage were The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester along with their cousins Prince and Princess Michel of Kent.

While Viscount and Viscountess Linley (and 2 others unknown to me at this point) were in attendance in the fourth carriage.

Also at the meeting were the Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal, her children Peter Philips (with wife Autumn) and Zara Tindall (with husband Michael).

By my math, that is at least 21 members of the family. I cannot remember there ever being that many Royals in attendance....although I am not complaining !

I was surprised but the amount of HRH's in the carriage procession yesterday. Normally the Queen chooses horse owners or those who have an affiliation with Ascot, but I did like that she chose family. I can't see there being that many family members throughout the week.

I love seeing all the photos of the family in the Royal Box cheering on their horses, pulling funny faces and screaming like everybody else. You can tell whether they won or lost money just from their expression!

Edward was there but there were no photos of him - only one of him in the background of Harry cheering on a horse. Clearly his wife is much more photograph worthy then himself.

I was surprised but the amount of HRH's in the carriage procession yesterday. Normally the Queen chooses horse owners or those who have an affiliation with Ascot, but I did like that she chose family. I can't see there being that many family members throughout the week.

I love seeing all the photos of the family in the Royal Box cheering on their horses, pulling funny faces and screaming like everybody else. You can tell whether they won or lost money just from their expression!

Edward was there but there were no photos of him - only one of him in the background of Harry cheering on a horse. Clearly his wife is much more photograph worthy then himself.

Are you sure about Edward, cos the CC says he held a reception at SJP "in the afternoon" ?

Well, it was a shock to see Harry attending Royal Ascot because he has never gone, so we may see William & Catherine attend this year or perhaps the next. It's just funny how it's never explained why they don't attend.
It's not a formal family engagement. Just like the wonder of Garden Parties . . . you never know who's going to turn up.

Are you sure about Edward, cos the CC says he held a reception at SJP "in the afternoon" ?

He was definitely there for part of it as someone tweeted he was in the box, and in this photo you an see him in the background:

Rex.

Quite a crowd completed

Viscount and Viscountess Ullswater

Thank you Spheno for filling in the "blank" for me. The Ullswaters are often in the Ascot procession. The Viscount was an amateur jockey and was private secretary to HRH The Princess Margaret which therefore ties in with them accompanying the Linleys.

He was definitely there for part of it as someone tweeted he was in the box, and in this photo you an see him in the background:

Rex.

I cant see the pic but he must have snuck out early. So must Anne and Andrew cos they had official engagements.

He probably did sneak out early as Sophie was there right to the end as she was seen on the Channel 4 episode at the end in the Parade Ring.

Sophie's dad is in the procession today in the second carriage with Charles and Camilla. How lovely. :)

Not as many HRH's in the procession today. Only the Queen, Philip, Charles and Camilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom