The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The [regrettable] absence of the Duke of Edinburgh this year makes this possible, and the Prince of Wales in visiting Salisbury today..so no cause for awkwardness there [either].
Speaking of the Duke of Edinburgh, is he still out because of the hip replacement and reported broken rib before the wedding? I'm kind of surprised. I thought we'd be seeing him at Ascot since he showed up at the horse show.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
The [regrettable] absence of the Duke of Edinburgh this year makes this possible, and the Prince of Wales in visiting Salisbury today..so no cause for awkwardness there [either].
Well, Sarah has been in the royal box at polo with Prince Philip since her divorce. Not sure Charles would mind it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Speaking of the Duke of Edinburgh, is he still out because of the hip replacement and reported broken rib before the wedding? I'm kind of surprised. I thought we'd be seeing him at Ascot since he showed up at the horse show.
Yeah, he’s retired and he now have the choice of showing up to things only if he wants to. That’s the joy of retirement.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2018, 12:14 PM
Serene Highness

The Yorks can't seem to keep their mouths closed. Happiness all around.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I saw a photo of him yesterday back driving a carriage!

LaRae
Old 06-22-2018, 01:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Listen, we’ve seen Sarah in the royal box at Cartier Guards Polo matches, but I don’t think we’ve seen her in the Royal Box at Royal Ascot since her marriage. Interesting!
Coincidentally, Sarah was in the Royal Box this year!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RegalEyes...67470030753793
Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalHighness 2002 View Post
Coincidentally, Sarah was in the Royal Box this year!
https://mobile.twitter.com/RegalEyes...67470030753793
Smoothing the family relationships before the wedding ?
Old 06-22-2018, 01:32 PM
Imperial Majesty

The DoE isn't there and it's said she does still see the Queen at other times as well. Not really surprised to see her there with Eugenie marrying later this year.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
If I remember right, Philip hasn't ever really been a fan of horse racing and would often discreetly listen to cricket matches.

I don't think there's anything really physically that prevented him from attending Ascot as he has in the past as he's been seen carriage driving but I imagine too, from experience, after a surgery, it does take a while to build up endurance again. He may be comfortable for doing a carriage ride and then relaxing but to spend a day at Ascot with all the walking and sitting involved, it may prove to be too much at one time.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM
Imperial Majesty

He was out in the last day or two driving his carriage so he's on the mend!

LaRae
Old 06-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Courtier

Where are the other VIPs?

Hi, I have a question about Ascot: Why are there (in the Daily Mail) just a very few VIPs to be seen?

Is it

a) because it is "Royal Ascot" and the Royals are much more to talk about?

b) because the attention for the Royal Family creates a welcomed veil, behind which the nobility, the business leaders, the politicians and bankers can have a party?

c) because the VIPs don't go to Ascot? That would be irritating! Not even the actors, which are always eager for attention and the press is always there because of the Royals...

Please, don't get me wrong, but to be honest I have seen (in the Daily Mail) only somewhat tacky girls from the rather lower stratas of society and the Royals... Not even the Usual Suspects like the Beckhams or Bono!

So ?
Old 06-22-2018, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
You’d almost think Fergie never left the Firm. Everyone’s laughing and smiling to each other. It’s nice to see.
Quote:
Listen, we’ve seen Sarah in the royal box at Cartier Guards Polo matches, but I don’t think we’ve seen her in the Royal Box at Royal Ascot since her marriage. Interesting!
I don't think I've seen Andrew smile and laugh this much in years!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor1319 View Post
Hi, I have a question about Ascot: Why are there (in the Daily Mail) just a very few VIPs to be seen?

Is it

a) because it is "Royal Ascot" and the Royals are much more to talk about?

b) because the attention for the Royal Family creates a welcomed veil, behind which the nobility, the business leaders, the politicians and bankers can have a party?

c) because the VIPs don't go to Ascot? That would be irritating! Not even the actors, which are always eager for attention and the press is always there because of the Royals...

Please, don't get me wrong, but to be honest I have seen (in the Daily Mail) only somewhat tacky girls from the rather lower stratas of society and the Royals... Not even the Usual Suspects like the Beckhams or Bono!

So ?
There's not often many celebritiess at royal ascot, it is a very british thing to do. Membership to the enclosure is by invitation only, our day badges cost £120.

Beckhams are at Fashion week, currently in Paris and I'll be honest i've never seen Bono attend. James Blunt the singer attended in 2017, actress Anna Friel attended in 2016, actresses Samantha Banks and Eleanor Tomlinson attended in 2015. All british might I add.

2018 Day 4 has seen actresses Michelle Dockery and Eleanor Tomlinson, TV Presenter and Ex-Model Jodie Kidd as well as olympic medalist Victoria Pendleton.
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/981217266
Old 06-22-2018, 04:27 PM
Majesty

Lady Carolyn Warren and Princess Beatrice are my favourites on Day 4. Lady Carolyn's ensemble was summery and feminine. Princess Beatrice looked very good in a large brimmed hat. Unfortunately there were no Countess' of Snowden photos.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:17 PM
Serene Highness

Does anyone know why William and Kate haven't been at Ascot? I know Kate is still on maternity leave, but she did attend William's polo match. Do they not like Ascot? I know we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and she just may not feel like dressing up yet so soon after the baby given a choice. I have just missed seeing them. Did she and William participate more in Ascot before they got married?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
I don't think I've seen Andrew smile and laugh this much in years!
I don't know why he and Sarah just don't get remarried.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

They’ve never been big on Ascot and only started going after their marriage and even then sporadically and just for one day I think.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 PM
Majesty

William and Catherine were at Ascot last year. Kate presented a trophy. They don’t go ever year. It’s classed as a social event, not a CC engagement. Only the Queen is mentioned in the CC
Old 06-22-2018, 06:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
I don't know why he and Sarah just don't get remarried.

That's been talked about at length in Sarah's thread.

LaRae
Old 06-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Does anyone know why William and Kate haven't been at Ascot? I know Kate is still on maternity leave, but she did attend William's polo match. Do they not like Ascot? I know we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and she just may not feel like dressing up yet so soon after the baby given a choice. I have just missed seeing them. Did she and William participate more in Ascot before they got married?
William and Catherine attended Royal Ascot for the very first time last year. They only attended Day 2. This year, Catherine is on maternity leave and William has been busy with official engagements.

Both William and Catherine have attended other races in the past.

I too hoped to see them at Royal Ascot this year.

A.W. TOZER
Old 06-22-2018, 07:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Going to William's polo match with the kids in casual dress is very different than getting very dressed up in a special outfit and being on show at a semi-formal event. Since they've only attended twice before I didn't expect them this year.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
William and Catherine attended Royal Ascot for the very first time last year.
Actually they've been to Ascot twice. l don't think they're fans and only go for one day every year as a must.

Closed Thread

Tags
british royal family, royal ascot