Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d almost think Fergie never left the Firm. Everyone’s laughing and smiling to each other. It’s nice to see.

Listen, we’ve seen Sarah in the royal box at Cartier Guards Polo matches, but I don’t think we’ve seen her in the Royal Box at Royal Ascot since her marriage. Interesting!

I don't think I've seen Andrew smile and laugh this much in years!

Hi, I have a question about Ascot: Why are there (in the Daily Mail) just a very few VIPs to be seen?

Is it

a) because it is "Royal Ascot" and the Royals are much more to talk about?

b) because the attention for the Royal Family creates a welcomed veil, behind which the nobility, the business leaders, the politicians and bankers can have a party?

c) because the VIPs don't go to Ascot? That would be irritating! Not even the actors, which are always eager for attention and the press is always there because of the Royals...

Please, don't get me wrong, but to be honest I have seen (in the Daily Mail) only somewhat tacky girls from the rather lower stratas of society and the Royals... Not even the Usual Suspects like the Beckhams or Bono!

So :huh:?

There's not often many celebritiess at royal ascot, it is a very british thing to do. Membership to the enclosure is by invitation only, our day badges cost £120.

Beckhams are at Fashion week, currently in Paris and I'll be honest i've never seen Bono attend. James Blunt the singer attended in 2017, actress Anna Friel attended in 2016, actresses Samantha Banks and Eleanor Tomlinson attended in 2015. All british might I add.

2018 Day 4 has seen actresses Michelle Dockery and Eleanor Tomlinson, TV Presenter and Ex-Model Jodie Kidd as well as olympic medalist Victoria Pendleton.
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/license/981217266

Last edited:
Lady Carolyn Warren and Princess Beatrice are my favourites on Day 4. Lady Carolyn's ensemble was summery and feminine. Princess Beatrice looked very good in a large brimmed hat. Unfortunately there were no Countess' of Snowden photos.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why William and Kate haven't been at Ascot? I know Kate is still on maternity leave, but she did attend William's polo match. Do they not like Ascot? I know we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and she just may not feel like dressing up yet so soon after the baby given a choice. I have just missed seeing them. Did she and William participate more in Ascot before they got married?

I don't think I've seen Andrew smile and laugh this much in years!

I don't know why he and Sarah just don't get remarried.

Last edited by a moderator:
They’ve never been big on Ascot and only started going after their marriage and even then sporadically and just for one day I think.

William and Catherine were at Ascot last year. Kate presented a trophy. They don’t go ever year. It’s classed as a social event, not a CC engagement. Only the Queen is mentioned in the CC

Does anyone know why William and Kate haven't been at Ascot? I know Kate is still on maternity leave, but she did attend William's polo match. Do they not like Ascot? I know we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes and she just may not feel like dressing up yet so soon after the baby given a choice. I have just missed seeing them. Did she and William participate more in Ascot before they got married?

William and Catherine attended Royal Ascot for the very first time last year. They only attended Day 2. This year, Catherine is on maternity leave and William has been busy with official engagements.

Both William and Catherine have attended other races in the past.

I too hoped to see them at Royal Ascot this year.

Going to William's polo match with the kids in casual dress is very different than getting very dressed up in a special outfit and being on show at a semi-formal event. Since they've only attended twice before I didn't expect them this year.

Last edited:
Actually they've been to Ascot twice. l don't think they're fans and only go for one day every year as a must.

Well, they do go to race meetings, it’s just they didn’t go to Royal Ascot until 2016. I’m not sure if they are really that interested in horse racing though. They make these events as a friends outing than going for the interest of the horses, IMO. Polo matches are more up their alley.

Also, William and Catherine focused more on being part time royals, William’s air ambulance Job and their young family during that time. William’s official engagements and Catherine’s maternity leave prevented them from attending again this year.

Last edited:
During the summer social season, polo and tennis are more their interest than horse racing. They do go to some races. Carole and Mike Middleton own shares in race horses

Does anyone know why William and Kate haven't been at Ascot?

Presumably because the Queen didn't invite them.

She invites the people who will a) be in the carriages and b) be in the royal box.

It is also impolite to refuse such an invitation so the simple answer is that for whatever reason HM didn't invite William and Kate to Ascot this year.

Presumably because the Queen didn't invite them.

She invites the people who will a) be in the carriages and b) be in the royal box.

It is also impolite to refuse such an invitation so the simple answer is that for whatever reason HM didn't invite William and Kate to Ascot this year.

If that is the case then I think it’s more likely there may be some coordination going on beforehand so that invitations do not need to be refused. I find it hard to believe the Queen would not invite ANY of her closest family for all 4 days if they were available and wanted to go. It’s difficult to believe that she would only invite Anne and Edward for the first three days or Charles only for the first two and William not at all. I don’t think she’s that unkind.

What an embarressment! :ermm::whistling:

Catherine is on maternal leave. I´ve read she will be until the end of summer. Her appearance for Trooping the colour was an exception. She will only be seen for the next weeks for family gatherings like her new son´ s christening. I guess her husband didn´ t want to go alone to Ascot. Just imagine if he did the tabloid´ s headlines and the social media the next day: Divorce for the Cambridges due at hand! :whistling::bang:

Is there also a royal procession on the 5th day

If Catherine hadn’t been on maternity leave and William busy with official engagements, they would’ve been at Royal Ascot. They simply had things to do. The Queen’s family are always invited.

If that is the case then I think it’s more likely there may be some coordination going on beforehand so that invitations do not need to be refused. I find it hard to believe the Queen would not invite ANY of her closest family for all 4 days if they were available and wanted to go. It’s difficult to believe that she would only invite Anne and Edward for the first three days or Charles only for the first two and William not at all. I don’t think she’s that unkind.

Exactly. Of course these things are coordinated in advance.

Zara and Mike weren't invited either; so unkind of the queen that she forgot about her eldest granddaughter :D and she must enjoy her York granddaughters' company much more than Harry and Meghan's given the number of times she invited the princesses compared to the one day invite for the duke and duchess :whistling:

Royal Ascot - Day 5:

Here are some photos of day 5 today, June 23:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Royal Ascot 2018 - Racing, Day 5 ** rex gallery **
Thanks iceflower! :flowers:

--------------------

From Ascot Racecourse twitter - Royal Ascot live updates and videos

--------------------

From BBC - Royal Ascot live updates
13:55
For the final time...
Much like the many glasses of bubbly around the racecourse, the parade ring is about to fill up.

The final Royal Procession is about to begin.

Joining Her Majesty today in the four-procession carriages are her son, the Duke of York, trainer Ian Balding (also Clare's dad), and the racehorse trainers Willie Mullins and William Haggas.
14:05
The Queen is loving her green:
A big 'ooooooh' goes up from the crowd as the Queen goes through the golden gates at Royal Ascot.

It's a patterned green number, her second green outfit of the week, last worn at the meeting of the Commonwealth Heads of State in April 2018.

Her Majesty taking a keen interest in the turf today, looking down to check it is in decent nick - which it very much is.
14:08
Jack Winstanley, BBC Radio Berkshire Sport at Ascot.

The crowd ready for a royal welcome:
There is not a spare seat in the house here at the winning post as the Royal Procession begins.

Her Majesty will be arriving here shortly to the waving crowds for the final time this week.

One of those with her will be Ian Balding, a former trainer of the Queen, and father to Kingsclere trainer Andrew Balding, and broadcaster Clare Balding.
14:14
Did you know?
The Queen had a magnificent victory with Aureole at Royal Ascot in 1954, one of dozens of winners throughout her reign.

The horse had suffered a minor injury a few days before the meeting though, putting its participation into doubt.

When the Queen asked her jockey, Eph Smith (who wore a hearing aid) whether he would win, he replied rather wonderfully: "Well Ma'am, we are rather handicapped. The horse is blind in one eye and I'm deaf".

Last edited:
Coach information

Mrs Richard Halle in the 2nd coach is Samantha Cohen, currently HMQs Asst Private Secretary and soon to move to KP to work for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as Interim PS, replacing Ed Lane Fox, Harry's PS.

Other seeing The Queen again, my heart filled with joy to see The Queen’s Equerry, Major Nana Kofi Twumasi-Ankarh in the 4th carriage procession. One of the most important people in The Queen’s Household.

I have to agree. Does this woman never learn?:ermm:

What I find most annoying about it is that her behaviour, especially with people critical about the monarchy, still reflects on the royal family...:bang:

What I find most annoying about it is that her behaviour, especially with people critical about the monarchy, still reflects on the royal family...:bang:

Yes, she really never stops does she? It became irritating very quickly in the early days of her marriage and it still is. I truly believe it's beyond her to act any other way.

The woman smiled and said hello. Prince Andrew and the Phillips’s did the same.

I hope you guys do understand that one of the reasons why The Queen and other members of the royal family like Sarah is due to her bubbly personality. The Queen had Sarah and Princess Beatrice cracking up in that royal box.

:previous:
The woman smiled and said hello. Prince Andrew and the Phillips’s did the same.

I hope you guys do understand that one of the reasons why The Queen and other members of the royal family like Sarah is due to her bubbly personality. The Queen had Sarah and Princess Beatrice cracking up in that royal box.
:previous: This.

I hope you guys also realize that the DM and other tabs always print the very worst pix they can find of Sarah. If there are 100 or more rapidly taken photos of any person, chances are several will be quite unattractive. Sarah has a warm and enthusiastic personality, and many/most people respond well to it. It’s a nice counterbalance to others in the family.

Last edited:
:previous:
:previous: This.

I hope you guys also realize that the DM and other tabs always print the very worst pix they can find if Sarah. If there are 100 or more rapidly taken photos of any person, chances are several will be quite unattractive. Sarah has a warm and enthusiastic personality, and many/most people respond well to it. It’s a nice counterbalance to others in the family.

It's not just pix, I watched her walking to the church at Harry's wedding too and the over exaggerated facial expressions and hand gestures were cringe worthy. It took me back to watching her in the 1980's on tours etc making a total show of herself.

Was the 1st Royal Ascot appearance for the queens great nephews, Viscount Linley and Arthur Chatto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom