Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The important part is that she's in the Royal Enclosure. I'm glad shes back attending Ascot with her family.

Actually, I've amended my post after rereading and finding the fact that the Ascot Authority box is not part and parcel of the Royal Enclosure. I'm learning a lot about Ascot this week as is just about everyone else thanks to Diarist. :flowers:

You're right on the money that the only thing that really matters is that Andrew, Sarah and their daughters were able to spend the day at Ascot as a family.

I wonder if The Queen upset the bookies by wearing blue with a yellow hat. How do they pay out on that one. Unless of course you just bet on the hat colour alone.

I wonder if The Queen upset the bookies by wearing blue with a yellow hat. How do they pay out on that one. Unless of course you just bet on the hat colour alone.

Shhhhhhh.... I don't think its general knowledge about the "code" and the "racing tips" that the Queen can possibly give out. HM knows her horses and their statistics and everything else leading up to a race so if anyone knows the potential of a horse in a race, it'd be her. Usually too, racing colors are two toned such as blue and orange or the Queen's own racing colors of red and purple. You'll notice in the photographs of the Queen's horse Guy Fawkes going down, his rider was wearing the Queen's colors.

We have to remember too that HM put the clothes on that she wore a long time before the race started and nothing is ever a "for sure" thing. Perhaps she just has good hunches. ;)

Last edited:
There are two occasions where I think HM is at her happiest. Horse racing and the Braemer games in Scotland. :)

I can imagine that right now, during this week, HM is seriously missing and thinking of her best racing buddy Lord Porchy. They were so close when it came to all things horses and probably from that friendship, the Queen developed her keen sense of a horse's attributes and abilities. You always remember a friend like that.

Royal Ascot 2: 2008-2016

Dartmouth has hopefully just won the Hardwicke Stakes but we have gone to a stewards inquiry.

Princess Beatrice has just presented her grandmother with her trophy!

Last edited:
Loved seeing Beatrice present the trophy to her grandmother. Very sweet.

Carriages today really showcased the 'guests'. Really only the first 2 had anyone well known.

FIRST CARRIAGE
The Queen
The Duke of Edinburgh
Major General Sir Edward Smyth-Osbourne
Mr Anthony Oppenheimer

SECOND CARRIAGE
The Prince Of Wales
The Duchess of Cornwall
Mr Roger Weatherby
Mrs Roger Weatherby

THIRD CARRIAGE
Mr John Warren
Lady Smyth-Osbourne
Mr Andrew Merriam
Mrs Andrew Merriam

FOURTH CARRIAGE
Vice Admiral Tony Johnstone-Burt
Mrs Anthony Oppenheimer
Mr Ben Pauling
Mrs Ben Pauling

With the queen we have Sir Smyth-Osborne who is the former commander of the household division and was commanding officer of both William and Harry during their time in the household calvary. I notice his wife is in carriage 3. And race horse owner Anthony Openheimer.

Carriage two has the POW and DOC. They are accompanied by Rodger Weatherby and his wife. Rodger is chairman of Weatherbys, which runs the thoroughbred breed book in the UK. Rodger is chairman of the racing foundation and is senior equiry of the jockey club since 2014.

Carriage 3: Andrew Merriam is chairman of the jockey club estates and is an equiry for the club as well, and his wife. Sir Osborne's wife of course. And John Warren is of course the queen's racing advisor.

Carriage 4: Major Anthony is a former naval officer who now serves as master of the household to the sovereign. Ben Paul is a horse trainer, accompanied by his wife. And then we have Mrs Openheimer.

Royal Ascot 2016 was so so. It was nice to see Prince and Princess Michael attending the races. It is unfortunate Viscountess Linley and Lady Helen Taylor did not make a public appearance.

Look of delight signals Queen's Royal Ascot win
er eyes filled with delight, this is the moment the Queen discovered her horse Dartmouth had won the Hardwick Stakes at Royal Ascot, by a whisker.

So close was the finish that it took a stewards inquiry to declare Dartmouth the winner over Highland Reel.

It was Her Majesty’s first winner at the meeting for three years, and it showed on her face when the result was announced.

She was presented with the trophy by her granddaughter, Princess Beatrice.

Pictures:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...1KLvdKTc_v1L1R92-VtYqe-65MLSAEFNmRImUfMkk.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/...oyx_R5Fm8icbD09kIPehuSD7Rr7t8WXjTnIyXLrZk.jpg

Video:
https://t.co/JiafQIhaqX

Congrats to Her Majesty!

Congrats to the queen on her first in three years. Sad week for her with the loss of her horse, but Dartmouth brought a good end to the week for her:flowers:

It was great to see Beatrice get to present the award to Grandma. I am sure they both enjoyed the moment.:) You could see Bea was definitely excited when her grandmother's horse won.

Congratulations to HM! That must be a nice belated birthday treat for her. I can imagine that she was very happy about Dartmouth winning.
It was nice to see Beatrice with her grandmother at Ascot today, too.

I know they both have had their issues, but Andrew and Sarah seem to have genuinely nice, well brought up daughters. Beatrice and Eugenie sometimes surprise me with their interesting fashion choices but they always look pleasant and poised. And Beatrice seemed thrilled to present the trophy to her grandmother!

I agree with you. Despite all the problems and uphills and downhills the Yorks have encountered, they've always remained a happy, united family and that counts for quite a bit.

As Dman has said, the most important thing is that they were able to share Ascot this year as a family.

I thought that Prince Philip looked far more relaxed than last year upon spotting Sarah. IIRC, last year it wa said he was upset about Sarah's presence...

I think he looked just fine upon seeing Sarah. The media has given him this reputation of seething with rage anytime Sarah is mentioned or seen with the family. I don't think that's the case at all. I also don't think Philip would disrespect Sarah in front of his granddaughters.

From what I was reading, Philip and Sarah didn't come anywhere close to being near each other at Ascot. Other than being in the Parade Ring (which Philip wasn't), Sarah was seated in a totally different area for the races.

From what I was reading, Philip and Sarah didn't come anywhere close to being near each other at Ascot. Other than being in the Parade Ring (which Philip wasn't), Sarah was seated in a totally different area for the races.

Right, but the media make it seem like his body would explode just talking about her or being near her. I honestly don't think Philip harbors any rage against Sarah nor would be disrespectful towards her if he ran into her at Royal Ascot.

I don't think this 95 year old man is holding on to the past as some would like to believe.

Last edited:
Yeah it's just like people carrying on about how the Queen 'rebuked' William on the balcony....same with making this adversity between Phillip and Sarah (or Diana which they do at times)...life is too short and it seems to me he has gotten on with life.

LaRae

The DoE may have had some choice words to say about Sarah, (and Diana), in the past. For that matter, I doubt he let Andrew or Charles off the hook, either. But I would bet a lot of money that they were said in private, to his wife or very close friends, and that he's never acted in a way that's been disrespectful to his ex daughters in law. The Duke may be many things but I don't think he's mean spirited or petty.

And, as recent interviews have shown, his York grandchildren think the world of him - I doubt that would be the case if he'd treated their mother poorly.

This may have already been discussed, but were the Middleton family at Royal Ascot? I have not seen any press coverage indicating that they were.

This may have already been discussed, but were the Middleton family at Royal Ascot? I have not seen any press coverage indicating that they were.

They haven't attended in a while.

I think not - no photos, no tweets in evidence. Off topic - but expect them at Wimbledon!

Did CP Mary enjoy her day at Royal Ascot?

"I'm loving every minute of it" she told journalist Phillip Dampier.

He says she also told him that she'd backed "a couple" of winners, that The Queen was "gracious" and that she hoped to be back again.

And Oz TRF posters, don't forget you too can go into the Royal Enclosure at Ascot - or to a Garden Party at Buckingham Palace or Holyroodhouse in Scotland. Also to the Trooping of the Colour.

Just follow the directions on the Australian High Commission's website.

(And for free!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom