Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the Duke of Edinburgh stumbled my heart nearly stopped. Thankfully he recovered himself and gave his salute.

I always wonder why the Queen wears 5 poppies. Is it in remembrance of specific people or just to make a nice brooch effect.

What a beautiful service,having 2 great grandfathers who bought fought in the Great War I always find it very poignant!

This is the first year I have truly paid attention to the Remembrance Day Services.

The engagement of the people of Britain in these services puts my countrymen to shame. Well done! :notworthy:

ANybody knows who the woman next to Catherine is?

Attachments

• 30371_460288200687935_1451057016_n.jpg
    30371_460288200687935_1451057016_n.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 269
ANybody knows who the woman next to Catherine is?
That's Lady Susan Hussey, Baroness Hussey of North Bradley.
She is the Woman of the Bedchamber of the Queen and one of Prince William's godmothers.

Loved Catherine's and Sophie's outfits and hats! Camilla's hat looked like road-kill!
How handsome the gents looked in uniform, especially Prince William in RAF dress.:cool:
Glad Prince Phillip is OK, maybe someone should give him a cane?

Was Princess Michael at the Cenotaph today on a balcony as Prince Michael laid a wreath?

angela said:
Was Princess Michael at the Cenotaph today on a balcony as Prince Michael laid a wreath?

Didn't see her.

This is the first year I have truly paid attention to the Remembrance Day Services.

The engagement of the people of Britain in these services puts my countrymen to shame. Well done! :notworthy:

Not just the UK, but the entire Commonwealth recognizes either Remembrance Sunday or Remembrance Day. We had our Annual Remembrance Day two minutes of silence and National Service, along w/the local services up here too. Sometimes we have a member of the Royal Family who will come over to attend and other times it's part of a Canadian tour. I think the last time a Royal took part when it wasn't a tour was the Princess Royal, but Charles and Camilla attended a couple of years ago when they were doing their tour of Canada that year.

I also noticed in the pictures that Sophie is once again wearing a Canadian Poppy this year. Wonder why? Not that I'm complaining as I think it's great, but just wondering. :)

Beautiful and moving tribute. BTW, I think Sophie looked magnificent.

William's wreath had the message

"For Jo, Lex and all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country".

In Australia and New Zealand Charles and Camilla paid their respects at ceremonies - in Australia the day before Remembrance Day and in New Zealand on the day itself.

This is a day that has sort of grown down here because our main commemorations are in April on 25th April - ANZAC Day - the anniversary of the joint invasion of Turkey in 1915, along with British, Indian and French forces.

As a kid ANZAC Day was always the day and Remembrance Day didn't even rate a mention - one is a public holiday and the other isn't. My school always does an ANZAC Day ceremony but only does something for Remembrance Day when it falls on a day when we have a chapel service or on a weekend, in which case again it is the focus of the chapel service - linking service and sacrifice to Christ's service and sacrifice.

William's wreath had the message

"For Jo, Lex and all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for our country".

William has written this on his wreaths for several years now. He obviously think especially of his friends who made the ultimate sacrifice at this time of year.

I'm a bit surprised we didn't see Prince Harry observing Remembrance Sunday in Afghanistan. Have there been any pictures of him that I've missed?

EIIR said:
William has written this on his wreaths for several years now. He obviously think especially of his friends who made the ultimate sacrifice at this time of year.

I'm a bit surprised we didn't see Prince Harry observing Remembrance Sunday in Afghanistan. Have there been any pictures of him that I've missed?

I haven't seen anything, but I haven't seen anything of any one on deployment commemorating the event except for Saturday night on the HMS Bulwark.

The BBC have mentioned this and shown coverage today. There was a service in Lasknar Gar. I can't add the the link but you read a report on the BBC website.

Harry is based at Bastion so would not have been there anyway.

Yes, there was a service at Lashkar Gah, cepe, as you say. I can't imagine there wouldn't have been even a small service at Bastion given that's where the bulk of British troops are based.

Ah well, I just thought it might've been nice to see Harry marking the day with his comrades.

Yes, there was a service at Lashkar Gah, cepe, as you say. I can't imagine there wouldn't have been even a small service at Bastion given that's where the bulk of British troops are based.

Ah well, I just thought it might've been nice to see Harry marking the day with his comrades.

Yes but a risk to those present. It seems to me (rightly) that info and pix on Harry are limited. He is THE target for the Taliban.

EDIT we don't really know where he is.

Last edited:
Yes but a risk to those present. It seems to me (rightly) that info and pix on Harry are limited. He is THE target for the Taliban.

EDIT we don't really know where he is.

I would imagine too that as close to the front they are, its sort of Remembrance Day each and every time they go out on a mission. I would imagine that there was some sort of service and that it would have been quite an emotional one as it hits quite close to home.

I thought I had read somewhere that the Queen Mother used to wear two poppies for her brothers as they had served in the First World War and one had died in service.

Does the Queen wear multiple poppies for certain people or do they represent England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

I would imagine too that as close to the front they are, its sort of Remembrance Day each and every time they go out on a mission. I would imagine that there was some sort of service and that it would have been quite an emotional one as it hits quite close to home.

Well said. I also think that Harry loves the part of active service that means he is just one of his company and that it is not about him, rather it is about the job. So I am not surprised we don't see coverage of him- Harry sees himself as just another pair of boots on the ground.

So as much as I want a check in from Harry - I think it great that he sees this time as all about the squad, the company, the job at hand. And HEEYAW to all those boots of our country's out there defending us!:flowers:

In Australia and New Zealand Charles and Camilla paid their respects at ceremonies - in Australia the day before Remembrance Day and in New Zealand on the day itself.

This is a day that has sort of grown down here because our main commemorations are in April on 25th April - ANZAC Day - the anniversary of the joint invasion of Turkey in 1915, along with British, Indian and French forces.

As a kid ANZAC Day was always the day and Remembrance Day didn't even rate a mention - one is a public holiday and the other isn't. My school always does an ANZAC Day ceremony but only does something for Remembrance Day when it falls on a day when we have a chapel service or on a weekend, in which case again it is the focus of the chapel service - linking service and sacrifice to Christ's service and sacrifice.

Interesting how different the traditions. In Germany after WWI a remembrance day was installed, but that was a difficult thing, as the new constitution was unclear about who could delare a public holiday - the government or each of the Federal States and the churches opposed the chosen date (in the passion time before Easter), as it conflicted with their own tradition. Of course, as soon as the Nazis took over, they installed a day to "worship war heroes" instead of remembering the victims of war.

That ended in 1945 and in 1952 the Federal republic of Germany declared the sunday two weeks before the First advent sunday to Volkstrauertag (People's mourning sunday), a day dedicated to the remembrance of all victims of all nations who died through war or terror. But as both Catholic and Protestant church have their own remembrance/mourning day in November, in (somehow typical German fashion) we're right now "flooded" with these sombre days to the effect that people are not really interested.

But there's a nice tradition of public mourning in our parliament on Volkstrauertag, an hour dedicated to the remembrance with a speech by our presendent, the attendance of the parliament, government, diplomatic corps, a common prayer and playing of the National Anthem and "Ich hatt' einen Kameraden", a song written and composed in 1825 by Ludwig Uhland and Friedrich Silcher which describes the death of a comrade in arms and that friendship and comradeship survives death and lasts till eternity.

That song is still used for military funerals. For anyone interested, here's a link to a you Tube video in honour of the German soldiers as part of the Nato troops who died in Afghanistan: Ich hatte einen Kameraden... (Soldatenlied) - YouTube

I do hope Charles will be back in attendence next year...the chap who laid (or should I say chucked) his wreath for him almost bumped into Prince Michael!

As ever, the Service was very moving and brought a lump to my throat. My brother-in-law has just returned from Afghanistan safe and well and I do wish the same for everyone else there .

Back
Top Bottom