Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All ladies are wonderful :), but I think Countess of Wessex was perfectly dress, it was very elegant and stylish, I loved the hat and hair up :flowers: and must say she looks like she is younger than Catherine ;).

I was wondering why she wore a gray hat. Remembrance Sunday is like mourning, with the Royal Family in black from the top of their heads to the soles of their feet.

Agreed.:flowers: We see her smiling so often that it's unusual seeing her solemn for a period of time. She can look serious without looking grumpy.

I was looking at many galleries about the event, and I found an amazing pic of Catherine. This is my very personnal taste, but her face is so full of dignity here, she looks like a real lady, the future queen of England. This pic could have been perfect for a paint gallery.

I agree - really hope that the media coverage focusses more on the importance of the occasion and honouring the enormous sacrifices made by so many. My guess is that there will be some coverage on Kate laughing on the balcony - that was unfortunate and made me cringe- but maybe that's what she does when she's nervous. I'm sure she wanted to be dressed somewhat plainly so as not to detract attention.

Well i know it's from the Mail (so a grain of salt) but you'll maybe find this quote interesting :
"Protocol dictates that those married into the family, with the exception of the Duke of Edinburgh, watch from a distance."
Thanks Nico :)

'Protocol dictates'! Well, sometimes protocol should be revised to also incorporate those who have actively given their service to their nation, as opposed to solely including members of the blood royal who have been bestowed an honourary position.

Sir Timothy should be involved, and not just a bystanding prop!

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is ridiculous; of all days, rank and one's standing in the RF should not be a consideration when you've served your country. It's a shame the Vice Admiral was relegated to the sidelines, because he's an in-law, and not allowed to participate in the laying of a wreath when he earned his right to do so. To me, anyone who actively served one's country should have place of honor in any ceremony honoring the war dead.

And that's my opinion, as well.

I was looking at many galleries about the event, and I found an amazing pic of Catherine. This is my very personnal taste, but her face is so full of dignity here, she looks like a real lady, the future queen of England. This pic could have been perfect for a paint gallery.

I agree with you completely. I think Catherine conducted herself very well, and looked every bit of a royal that she now is. The picture shows portrays that perfectly.

Hopefully once the DoCambridge has a few of these events behind her then the focus will return back to the solemn ceremony. However, she is likely to be the focus of many events in the near future.

Actually for most of the last couple of decades I have found that the reporting and discussions on this event have focussed on what was being worn rather than what was being remembered.

That is ridiculous; of all days, rank and one's standing in the RF should not be a consideration when you've served your country. It's a shame the Vice Admiral was relegated to the sidelines, because he's an in-law, and not allowed to participate in the laying of a wreath when he earned his right to do so. To me, anyone who actively served one's country should have place of honor in any ceremony honoring the war dead.

And that's my opinion, as well.

If you feel that strongly perhaps you should write a letter to the Queens Private Secretary and suggest that Sir Tim lay a wreath next year, perhaps jointly with his wife.

Last edited:
:previous:Thank you for the suggestion, but it just seems strange to me that a lot of people who express their opinions on topics here and elsewhere on the forum aren't advised to do the same thing as well.

Last edited:
Found this on my twitter. Very simple and touching.

RegalEyes Mark Stewart
The Duke of Cambridge card on his cenotaph wreath read "For Jo, Lex and all those who have made the ultimate sacriifce for our country Wills

And here are some more pictures. Just scroll down past the Monaco stuff.

http://myroyal-myroyals.blogspot.com/

Last edited:
It's interesting to see that the Countess of Wessex was wearing a Canadian poppy.

Found this on my twitter. Very simple and touching.http://myroyal-myroyals.blogspot.com/
That's lovely. Also, that link has some truly wonderful pictures of the merry wives of the house of Windsor! :)

I really love the second to last photo- the one of the Duchess of Cornwall and the Duchess of Cambridge smiling together.

I love the pictures of them smiling. I know some may see it as disrespectful, but I see it as family members interacting with each other. I'm pretty sure the smiling didn't happen when the wreaths were being laid, or when the veterans marched, so there's no reason to get on anyone's case. Plus, this is Catherine's first time participating in something like this, so perhaps Camila and Sophie wanted her to feel a little more at ease, so hence the moment of giggles.

It's interesting to see that the Countess of Wessex was wearing a Canadian poppy.

Isn't she an honorary colonel of a Canadian regiment? Perhaps that's the reason. I wonder where Camilla got her knitted poppy from?

I love the pictures of them smiling. I know some may see it as disrespectful, but I see it as family members interacting with each other. I'm pretty sure the smiling didn't happen when the wreaths were being laid, or when the veterans marched, so there's no reason to get on anyone's case. Plus, this is Catherine's first time participating in something like this, so perhaps Camila and Sophie wanted her to feel a little more at ease, so hence the moment of giggles.

I didn't see it as disrespectful at all... they were solemn during the ceremony and looked like an affectionate family before and after. I love seeing them all looking happy.

I didn't see it as disrespectful at all... they were solemn during the ceremony and looked like an affectionate family before and after. I love seeing them all looking happy.

In complete agreement here.

Fully agree with you.

Well then precedence was broken today, as it went HM, Prince Phillip, POW, William, Duke of York, Prince Edward, Princess Royal and The Duke of Kent. I'm thinking it's succession because it can't be rank.

Isn't precedence at the discretion of HM? I'm sure she wants William, now that he is married, to take his place as the heir of the heir by acting directly after his father. The queen is not immortal and surely she wants to have her house in order when the day comes that Charles will be king. Then there should be a clear and clean transition to the new king and his new PoW. IMHO, of course.

I do not really have a problem with the laughing and jovial moments between the Royal spouses on the balcony. We are only admonishing the women; we do not know if Tim participated in any moments of laughter. We only see snippets of moments via images, so we do not know whether they were before of after the ceremony. I imagine Camilla and Sophie were making Catherine more at ease, and it is lovely to see the Royal wives get along together. They are going to be in one another's company for a very long time, so it's lovely to see that in public they can be polite to one another. I am sure during the moments of solemnity the women were quiet and respectful. It's only human to have a joke with fellow women and for all we know they may have been discussing family or private jokes. For example, we may have witnessed Catherine asking Sophie something about her children etc. We will never know.

I think it is right that William comes before his uncles, as this is the way it's going to be in the future. He does come before them in precedence when his father is present does he not?

Regarding Sophie's Canadian poppy, I did not even really notice it was different. Just goes to show how reliable my observation skills are! Perhaps it is because she is hononary colonel of a Canadian troop, as well as the fact that she is going to Canana this month.

I also saw nothing wrong with the moments of lightness shared; for me there was no disrespect at all. It just seemed that as a family gathering together for an event, like any other family who might be catching up with each other after a period apart, they were conversing and sharing moments of light gaiety. But once the ceremony began, they all got down to business with proper demeanor. As others have noted, the more seasoned ladies may have been trying to put Kate at ease at another of these major events. In any case, it is nice to see the camaraderie and warmth shared among each other.

Last edited:
I think what we have here is a classic case of the publication of photographs out of chronological order. Before the ceremony actually starts, there's a fair bit of waiting about and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duchess of Cambridge, the Countess of Wessex and Tim Laurence will have had a good five minutes on the balcony before the remembrance service began. It's from this five minutes that we got the laughter shot. So I don't consider it disrespectful at all. During the service itself, there's certainly no room for laughter. On a different note, I was surprised how much Catherine reminded me of a young Queen Alexandra in that hat and coat.

Going off topic ,or not depending on your opinion, what do other countries do to remember their war dead ?

Here in the U.S., Memorial Day is a Federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. This observance originated among Northern communities, both black and white, after the American Civil War to commemorate the fallen Union soldiers of the Civil War. The observance has now grown to encompass the dead of all wars and other military actions in which the U.S. participated. The president lays a wreath at the tomb of the Unknown in Washington, D.C.

Veterans Day (formerly called Armistice Day),is an annual U.S. holiday honoring all military veterans . It is a Federal holiday that is observed on November 11. It coincides with other holidays such as Armistice Day or Remembrance Day which are celebrated in other parts of the world and also mark the anniversary of the signing of the Armistice that ended WWI. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.)

Last edited:
here, in argentina, we remember the malvinas's war. here the mane is el dia del veterano.

Isn't precedence at the discretion of HM? I'm sure she wants William, now that he is married, to take his place as the heir of the heir by acting directly after his father. The queen is not immortal and surely she wants to have her house in order when the day comes that Charles will be king. Then there should be a clear and clean transition to the new king and his new PoW. IMHO, of course.

At an official event such as this, I think the Official Precedence takes place which is determined by the government. The other type is Court Precedence - The Queen's list. This is where Camilla is outranked by [some] Princesses of The Blood.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom