The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-08-2020, 04:52 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Up until the late 1930's,the Irish Governor-General laid a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of the fallen, now its done by the Irish Ambassador to the UK.
Yes that's relatively new of course & has been a very welcome product of the normalisation of relations across our isles.

Irish men from all parts of the island fought with distinction during the first war & of course tens of thousands from Ireland south of the border helped in the struggle against fascism in the second.

Old 11-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes that's relatively new of course & has been a very welcome product of the normalisation of relations across our isles.
Ireland hasn't been part of the commonwealth for a long long time... and so there hasn't been a governor general....

Old 11-08-2020, 05:06 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Ireland hasn't been part of the commonwealth for a long long time... and so there hasn't been a governor general....
Yes I know. For political reasons of course there was no representative from the Republic of Ireland at the cenotaph until 2014. The fact that the Irish ambassador now attends is a welcome development.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54857248
Old 11-08-2020, 05:09 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Yes I know. For political reasons of course there was no representative from the Republic of Ireland at the cenotaph until 2014. The fact that the Irish ambassador now attends is a welcome development.
I agree.. it was very sad years ago... that there was this bitterness. And a lot of irish men served in WW2
Old 11-08-2020, 05:19 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I agree.. it was very sad years ago... that there was this bitterness. And a lot of irish men served in WW2
Indeed yes they did & with great distinction.
Old 11-08-2020, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness

This thread is about the solemn occasion that is Remembrance Day not anything else. Thank you.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

A number of completely off topic posts have been deleted. This thread is for discussion of the Remembrance Day Services, and not for unrelated discussions about members of the British royal family. Any further posts along those lines will be deleted without notice.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Interesting. I would imagine that the High Commissioners of the countries that contributed the most to the war effort besides the UK (I suppose, Australia, Canada, India, New Zealand, and South Africa) should be the ones laying the wreaths, but they were represented instead by other smaller countries in the same geographic region. I wonder how the five representatives were chosen.

I would have thought the choice was fairly logical based on actual fighting:

Malta fought the Germans for so long and so hard that the entire island was awarded the George Cross (of course Cyprus was also attacked but if only one of those two was to be chosen Malta makes sense).

Bangladesh was close to the fighting as it borders Burma (modern day Myanmar) where the main British fighting against the Japanese on land took place. So again the logical choice (and at the time Bangladesh was part of India so any Bangladeshi troops would have been part of the Indian army). If Burma was still part of the Commonwealth I would have expected Burma to have been chosen.

PNG makes perfect sense as that was where the Aussie, NZers and other Pacific Island troops fought and were the first to stop the Japanese land forces before pushing them back and out of PNG.

The other two aren't as obvious as the fighting in Africa didn't get as far south as Malawi in WWII but there was fighting in East Africa in WWI. We often forget that there were campaigns throughout Africa during that war.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:25 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
I would have thought the choice was fairly logical based on actual fighting:

Malta fought the Germans for so long and so hard that the entire island was awarded the George Cross (of course Cyprus was also attacked but if only one of those two was to be chosen Malta makes sense).

Bangladesh was close to the fighting as it borders Burma (modern day Myanmar) where the main British fighting against the Japanese on land took place. So again the logical choice (and at the time Bangladesh was part of India so any Bangladeshi troops would have been part of the Indian army). If Burma was still part of the Commonwealth I would have expected Burma to have been chosen.

PNG makes perfect sense as that was where the Aussie, NZers and other Pacific Island troops fought and were the first to stop the Japanese land forces before pushing them back and out of PNG.

The other two aren't as obvious as the fighting in Africa didn't get as far south as Malawi in WWII but there was fighting in East Africa in WWI. We often forget that there were campaigns throughout Africa during that war.
That's really interesting thank you.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:40 AM
Commoner

Saluting

I truly don't know the answer to this - nor if it would/wouldn't be an appropriate gesture for her ... but since HM was viewing from the balcony, would she have breeched any sort of protocol had she saluted as each of the wreaths were being laid down?
Old 11-09-2020, 01:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Yes - she wasn't in uniform so it is against protocol to salute.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Just adding a bit here seeing as the US Veteran's Day is tomorrow on the 11th. I ran across this bit of information about wearing the poppy and really didn't know all the significance of just how it's worn before. I was wondering if it was the same with the poppies worn in the UK.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fe&oe=5FD0674A
Old 11-10-2020, 02:30 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Just adding a bit here seeing as the US Veteran's Day is tomorrow on the 11th. I ran across this bit of information about wearing the poppy and really didn't know all the significance of just how it's worn before. I was wondering if it was the same with the poppies worn in the UK.

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...fe&oe=5FD0674A
I don't know sorry. I've not comes across this before. Poppies here do have a green leaf attached very often. There's the Canadian poppy as well of course.
Old 11-10-2020, 02:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks for that link Osipi , it is very interesting information. I am about to go out for exercise and I put my poppy on the left, so now I have repositioned it to the right side. It is Wednesday 11th 5.30 am here. In Sydney it is 6.30 am due to that state having daylight saving.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:06 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes - she wasn't in uniform so it is against protocol to salute.
Ahh, yes, that makes sense. Thank you for the response/answer - greatly appreciated!
Old 11-10-2020, 03:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

Our TV presenters are wearing the poppy on the left, so I googled which side to wear it and it said that men wear it on the left and some women wear it on the right. The Queen wears here's on the left.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:05 PM
Royal Highness

I have always worn mine on the left, I think I remember something about it being closer the heart but I can't say for sure.
Old 11-10-2020, 04:45 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I have always worn mine on the left, I think I remember something about it being closer the heart but I can't say for sure.
There is some idea that men wear on the left and women on the rights.. but I always have had great trouble keeping it pinned ot my coat, and I fix it as best i can....
Old 11-10-2020, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Remembrance Day Services 1919

Old 11-10-2020, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
I've heard that too - to be honest I just wear mine on whichever part of my chest is closest to me when I'm putting my coat on!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day