The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-10-2019, 03:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Perhaps he is, to be blunt, the royal understudy, there to make up the numbers when someone else is away and unable to attend?
I don't think so because he laid a wreath last year and no one was missing.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:18 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Perhaps Prince Michael of Kent lays a wreath each year as a representative of his family. His father, Prince George, Duke of Kent died in an airplane crash near Caithness, Scotland on August 25, 1942 during non-operational duties.

Just my guess.

Old 11-10-2019, 04:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I don't know why Prince Michael of Kent lays a wreath some years and not others.
It was the Duke of Kent and he has always laid a wreath, although some years different members of the royal family do not attend in London but attend somewhere in the world where our military are serving So there may have been years when he was not in London. The duke of kent despite his age and health issues is an active member of the family supporting the queen his cousin.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Thanks for the correction that it was the Duke of Kent.

If I'm not mistaken, the Kents are the only current members of the British royal family that actually had a close relative that died while in military service during WWII and it was quite a shock to the entire BRF when it happened. Both the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent are Prince George, Duke of Kent's sons and Princess Alexandra, his daughter.
Old 11-10-2019, 04:38 PM
Serene Highness

He was also a serving career soldier, I would also like to point out that the dukes of Gloucester and Kent were grandsons of a king and were close heirs to the throne until the queen had her children. They have both, as well as Prince Michael served the queen for many years
Old 11-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Doesn't the Duke of Kent hold one of the highest ranks in the Army, even out of the RF? I think he is a Field Marshal, a title held also only by Charles and Philip.
He served for over 20 years in the Army until the 1970s.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
It was the Duke of Kent and he has always laid a wreath, although some years different members of the royal family do not attend in London but attend somewhere in the world where our military are serving So there may have been years when he was not in London. The duke of kent despite his age and health issues is an active member of the family supporting the queen his cousin.
I'm not talking about the Duke of Kent. I'm asking why Prince Michael of Kent lays a wreath some years and not others.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm not talking about the Duke of Kent. I'm asking why Prince Michael of Kent lays a wreath some years and not others.
Perhaps because he lost a father in service to crown and country during WWII. My reasoning for this is that there is no other members of the BRF that are currently alive and attending the Cenotaph (other than the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael's siblings) that have lost a close family member in service to their country.

My guess is that if Prince Michael lays a wreath, its for family reasons and personal and approved by HM, The Queen.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, please?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness

Is there a church service this evening?
Old 11-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Perhaps because he lost a father in service to crown and country during WWII. My reasoning for this is that there is no other members of the BRF that are currently alive and attending the Cenotaph (other than the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra, Prince Michael's siblings) that have lost a close family member in service to their country.

My guess is that if Prince Michael lays a wreath, its for family reasons and personal and approved by HM, The Queen.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, please?
Yes but I'm asking why he dosn't lay one EVERY year.
Old 11-10-2019, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

So looking at the 2018 video Prince Michael laid a wreath, the Queen watched from the balcony and Philip's was laid down by an Equerry. Then William, Harry, Andrew, Edward and then Anne, DoKent and Prince Michael.

So clearly my earlier suggestion of being a stand in was wrong so it suggests he attends when he can/wants to/isn't somewhere else.

Edit -having flicked through old youtube videos it appears 2018 was the first time in ages Prince Michael laid a wreath, maybe because it was centenary of the end of the First World War? From videos it seems:
not there 1991, 1995 (only earlier times I could find)
there 2003
not there 2009-2011
there 2012 (HM's Jubilee year)
not there 2013-2017
was there 2018
not there 2019.

Edit (can you tell I'm bored)
In 2012 the Court Circular noted that "Wreaths were also laid by The Duke of Cambridge, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Prince Michael of Kent (on behalf of The Duke of Kent)"

Searching it only showed 2003 and 2012 not 2018. The 2003 has no special notes and just listed him as attending and laying wreath (only thing I spotted was on both occasions Charles was absent overseas)
Old 11-10-2019, 06:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Doesn't the Duke of Kent hold one of the highest ranks in the Army, even out of the RF? I think he is a Field Marshal, a title held also only by Charles and Philip.
He served for over 20 years in the Army until the 1970s.
Many of the senior royals have high ranks. There is the rank they achieved while they served though vs promotions since:

-Prince Philip: -during service, commander of the royal navy. Since retiring, he has been promoted to lord high admiral (served in WWII)
-Charles- lieutenant in the royal navy when left duty in 1976. flight lieutenant in the airforce. Now post retirement, admiral of the fleet and air marshal
-Andrew: retired with the rank of commander. Now honorary vice admiral (fought in the Falklands)
-Duke of Kent: Royal Scots Greys. Promoted to lieutenant colonel in service. Field marshal since retirement (peace keeping including Ireland and Cyprus)
-Prince William- captain in Blues and royals, flight lieutenant RAF while serving (search and rescue RAF) Major in army, squadron leader in the RAF since leaving service.
-Prince Harry: Captain in the blues and royals (deployed to Afghanistan). Since retirement a Major in army, squadron leader RAF
-Prince Michael: Army in The Royal Hussars (peacekeeping) retired as Major. many honorary appointments since

extended family:
-Earl of Ulster (heir of DOG) Royal Hussars (seen duty in Northern Ireland, Kossovo and Iraq) he retired with the rank of Acting Major.
-Tim Lawrence: Vice Admiral of the royal navy (Northern Ireland among other deployments)
Old 11-10-2019, 06:53 PM
Serene Highness

I apologise , I misunderstood your post, I do not know the answer but as I said in a previous post, there are times that members of the family attend another location for the remembrance service . So that is a possibility.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Today The Duke of Kent led an Armistice Day Service of Remembrance at the National Memorial Arboretum, Staffordshire.

https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...735620/photo/2
https://twitter.com/RoyalFamily/stat...677825/photo/1
Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 PM
Majesty

I have a question.
The Dukes of York, Cambridge and Sussex laid their wreaths to gether.
When returning the Duke of York was the first but the Duke of Cambridge did not want to be behind him, He went newt to him and the Duke of Sussex was alone behind them.
Who is the number 2 after Charles ??
Old 11-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I have a question.
When returning the Duke of York was the first but the Duke of Cambridge did not want to be behind him, He went newt to him and the Duke of Sussex was alone behind them.
The Duke of Cambridge
Old 11-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I have a question.
The Male order of precedence for yesterday (Hope I got it right)

The Prince of Wales
The Duke of York
The Earl of Wessex
The Duke of Cambridge
The Duke of Sussex
Old 11-11-2019, 12:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I have a question.
This is a good question, I would also like to know how they pick which order to go by. Get's me kind of confused.

At Albert's Hall, the seating seems to follow Order of Precedence, which is
HM
Charles
Andrew
Edward
William (although some years back an exception was made for William to go after Charles)
Harry
James

In most occasions, they seem to follow the Order of Succession, which is
HM
Charles
William
Harry
Andrew
Edward
James

Old 11-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Yes but I'm asking why he dosn't lay one EVERY year.

I think the answer is nobody knows.
Old 11-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Court Circular 9th November:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen, Patron, was present this evening at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, The Duke of York, The Earl and Countess of Wessex, The Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, The Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent were present.

Court Circular 10th November:
Buckingham Palace

The Queen was present this morning during the Ceremony at the Cenotaph on the occasion of Remembrance Day.

A wreath was laid on behalf of The Queen by The Prince of Wales.

A wreath was laid on behalf of The Duke of Edinburgh by Captain James Aubrey.

A wreath was laid by The Prince of Wales.
Wreaths were also laid by The Duke of Cambridge, The Duke of Sussex, The Duke of York, The Earl of Wessex, The Princess Royal and The Duke of Kent.

The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duchess of Cambridge, The Duchess of Sussex, The Countess of Wessex, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, Prince Michael of Kent and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence were present during the Ceremony.

The Duke of York afterwards took the salute at the March Past of Ex-Servicemen and Civilian Organisations on Horse Guards Parade, London SW1.

Court Circular 11th November:
St. James's Palace

The Duke of Kent, Field Marshal, this morning attended the Armistice Day Service of Remembrance and Parade at the National Memorial Arboretum, Alrewas, and was received by Her Majesty's Lord-Lieutenant of Staffordshire (Mr. Ian Dudson).

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day