The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Terri View Post
Yes they were. I watched the live coverage. Edward layed a wreath with Princess Anne, the Duke of Kent and Prince Michael of Kent. Sofie was standing beside Anne's husband on one of the balconies.
Edward laid his wreath with Andrew, William and Harry....

Nice to see the three Queenís on the same balcony but was surprised that the German presidentís wife wasnít with her. Meghan looked good and appropriately solemn. Nice to see a photo of Sophie as I was thinking she wasnít there as the BBC didnít see it worth while to show us Tim and Sophie.

Nice to see all those people being able to walk past the cenotaph now. The whole thing was quite emotional.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Royal Highness

Oopps! Sorry...you are correct!

Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

The Fail strikes again even on a solemn occassion. It points out Meghan and Kate are not on the same balcony. I hardly call Meghan accompanying the first lady of Germany a come down.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:41 AM
Commoner

I have one question of The Remembrance Day, I know poppy is because poppies In Flander Fields, but has the amount of poppies they have some meaning or is it just random? Other ladies have many poppies, Meghan one.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:57 AM
Majesty

We don't know for sure what the number of poppies means.

It has been suggested - a number of countries, a number of relatives lost, the number of branches of service with which you are associated, etc.

Unless someone mentions why they do it any particular way, we will never know.

It is enough to show ANY remembrance, IMO. It's not the size of the brooch, it is the act of wearing it that has importance.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

Prince Charles, Colonel of the Welsh Guards Regiment arrives with Major General Bathurst, Commanding Officer, for a remembrance service at the Guards' Chapel, Wellington Barracks, London

https://www.gettyimages.de/search/ur...alproducts=all

Earl and Countess of Wessex arrive at Llandaff Cathedral in Cardiff, Wales

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed...embrance%20Day

This afternoon The Duke of York attended a service at St. Anneís Cathedral, Belfast, to commemorate the Centenary of the Armistice. Prince Andrew is Colonel in Chief of the Royal Irish Regiment.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrvszTwW4AQu1qf.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrvszT4XgAAXJ0o.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrvszUoXQAA-mrg.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DrvszTsWwAAhSS6.jpg

Gallery from the Royal Family attended a service marking the centenary of WW1 armistice at Westminster Abbey tonight 11 November

https://www.gettyimages.de/search/ur...alproducts=all

Article

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...y-service.html

The two Royal couples!!

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1060279050
https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...e-id1060279056
Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 AM
Nobility

Why are you surprised the German president's wife was not with the Queen? I don't get it? I think the whole point of it was to show Meghan's significance. She may not be a future queen consort but she still has an important role to play. IMO
Old 11-11-2018, 11:09 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
We don't know for sure what the number of poppies means.

It has been suggested - a number of countries, a number of relatives lost, the number of branches of service with which you are associated, etc.

Unless someone mentions why they do it any particular way, we will never know.

It is enough to show ANY remembrance, IMO. It's not the size of the brooch, it is the act of wearing it that has importance.
Actually I got to this question because one of our tabloids have recently wrote some IMO very impolite articles of Meghan and today they are weeping why she is so serious with just one poppy.

Headline is about: Citizens were amazed when Duchess Meghan walked to balcony in important commemoration day - two things stand out badly

https://www.is.fi/kuninkaalliset/art-2000005896098.html
Old 11-11-2018, 11:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Are they supposed to stick themselves all over with poppy and thatíd be considered the most respectful or something? Talk about click bait.

I donít think the number of poppies is anything other than personal preference for the look. If you look at the men, itís only one poppy. Even those with extensive history with the military.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Why are you surprised the German president's wife was not with the Queen? I don't get it? I think the whole point of it was to show Meghan's significance. She may not be a future consort but she still has an important role to play. IMO
You are right. I do think itís significant for Meghan to be placed with the German First Lady. However, most would expect the wife of the foreign head of state would be either placed with the Queen or Duchess of Cornwall. But I suppose this isnít a state visit.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo View Post
Why are you surprised the German president's wife was not with the Queen? I don't get it? I think the whole point of it was to show Meghan's significance. She may not be a future consort but she still has an important role to play. IMO
Itís was very significant that Meghan hosted the the First Lady of Germany on the balcony for the service.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-11-2018, 11:30 AM
Heir Apparent

The Royal British Legion's annual Festival of Remembrance from the Royal Albert Hall in London yesterday evening. - The whole BBC One broadcast:

Remembrance Sunday from the Cenotaph in Whitehall (London) today. - A 13 minute excerpt from the BBC One broadcast:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:31 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Are they supposed to stick themselves all over with poppy and thatíd be considered the most respectful or something? Talk about click bait.

I donít think the number of poppies is anything other than personal preference for the look. If you look at the men, itís only one poppy. Even those with extensive history with the military.
It looks like that. Also Sophie of Wessex and prime minister Theresa May had only one poppy, but about that Iltasanomat tells nothing.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Oh my Lord not everything is significant, it's probably just how the placement turned out. Meghan is the 4th lady of the land in public and the top 3 were on the center balcony. The Queen obviously didn't see the need for the Fist Lay to be placed with her so she wasn't. She was on the second one, where she would have been even if Meghan wasn't. We could take so many things as examples of acceptance and significance, like the Wessexes, not one of the younger couples, accompanying the W-A and Maxima during the state visit, but it's not necessary. I don't think it's necessary here either, because it just leads to more talk about protocol and rifts in the Royal Family
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Funny how for some Meghan is the new Camilla circa 2005 : waiting impatiently for an hypothetic sign of snub from the Queen.
Well, good luck with that !
Old 11-11-2018, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
World War One Remembered: Westminster Abbey- BBC One at 5:10pm
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0brzcbh

The Queen and senior members of the Royal Family will be in attendance.
For people outside the UK, watch here in about 7 min time: BBC One - firstonetv.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Heir Apparent

I know it is all part of the duties of being a royal, but respect to Princess Anne who stood rod still and saluted the march past of veterans for well over an hour following the service at the cenotaph. I seem to recall Edward doing this last year. Prior to this I donít think there was any tv coverage of this , so many of us were unaware of the royal involvement following the service of remembrance.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Heir Apparent

https://ibb.co/miwBAA

The Queen and Camilla in almost matching coloured outfits.
The Kents and Gloucesters attended as well, again we see the Queen, Charles and Cams and Wills and Kate up front, definitely seems more of a focus on the direct heirs atm IMO.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
It’s was very significant that Meghan hosted the the First Lady of Germany on the balcony for the service.

Well, perhaps she didnīt join the Queen on "balcony number 1" because, as being unmarried to the president, she is somehow an "unofficial" 1st Lady...?!
Old 11-11-2018, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Well, perhaps she didnīt join the Queen on "balcony number 1" because, as being unmarried to the president, she is somehow an "unofficial" 1st Lady...?!

They are married. She only keept her maiden name.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
You are most likely thinking about the previous president's partner. They were indeed not married as the former president was/is still married to someone else.

Tags
cenotaph, ceremonies, memorial, remembrance day