Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A very nice idea:

To mark #Remembrance and 100 years of the @PoppyLegion
, The Duchess met 98-year-old veteran, Colonel Blum, and 10-year-old Cub @scouts
, Emily, to discuss the vital importance of Remembrance across generations.

So strange not to see H.M.The Queen but also nice to see the family out in numbers tonight.

Where were the Wessex's sitting - I presume next to Camilla or Anne and the pic is cutting them off?

Where were the Wessex's sitting - I presume next to Camilla or Anne and the pic is cutting them off?

I was wondering the same. And the various agencies seem to mostly using the same pictures.

Last edited:
Outwith the Queen's children I saw the Gloucesters and Michaels of Kent in the royal box, were the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra there too?

So strange not to see H.M.The Queen but also nice to see the family out in numbers tonight.

Yes indeed.

It feels sad that's she's not present but understandable. Next year hopefully.

They’re in the second row beside Anne and Tim and beside Boris in the box next to them. I assume for social distancing reasons there are only 4 seats in the front row as opposed to the usual 6.

They’re in the second row beside Anne and Tim and beside Boris in the box next to them. I assume for social distancing reasons there are only 4 seats in the front row as opposed to the usual 6.

Thanks. Were they truly on the second row? Theoretically they should have been seated next to Charles and Camilla based on the order of precedence that is nowadays applied. Next to Timothy, the only person who would normally be seated over there (i.e., in between the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent in terms of precedence) would be the Duke of Kent. Normally, if princess Alexandra would have been present, she would theoretically be seated behind the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (unless she 'accompanied' her older brother (and therefore was seated next to him)) - next to (but lower in order of precedence) her younger brother.

The order of precedence and the seating arrangement would normally be (with the queen not present):
2 - 1 - 3
5 - 4 - 6
8 - 7 - X

1: Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall
2: The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
3: The Earl & Countess of Wessex
4: The Princess Royal & Sir Timothy Laurence
5: The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester
6: The Duke of Kent
7: Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
8: Princess Alexandra

Thanks. Were they truly on the second row? Theoretically they should have been seated next to Charles and Camilla based on the order of precedence that is nowadays applied. Next to Timothy, the only person who would normally be seated over there (i.e., in between the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester and Prince and Princess Michael of Kent in terms of precedence) would be the Duke of Kent. Normally, if princess Alexandra would have been present, she would theoretically be seated behind the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester (unless she 'accompanied' her older brother (and therefore was seated next to him)) - next to (but lower in order of precedence) her younger brother.

The order of precedence and the seating arrangement would normally be (with the queen not present):
2 - 1 - 3
5 - 4 - 6
8 - 7 - X

1: Prince of Wales & Duchess of Cornwall
2: The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge
3: The Earl & Countess of Wessex
4: The Princess Royal & Sir Timothy Laurence
5: The Duke & Duchess of Gloucester
6: The Duke of Kent
7: Prince and Princess Michael of Kent
8: Princess Alexandra

Yep, they were definitely in the second row. Until recent years they were in the front row but I don’t know if they were in second row to make extra space to provide distance. There might have been seats next to Camilla but no one was seated in them.

Social distancing can't be the reason since the Wessexs's, Ann and Tim and the Gloucesters were all in the same row. I think, once again, Charles wants to set himself and his own family apart from the rest.

Social distancing can't be the reason since the Wessexs's, Ann and Tim and the Gloucesters were all in the same row. I think, once again, Charles wants to set himself and his own family apart from the rest.

That's a rather negative reading of the situation. If that had been the intention, Edward and Sophie could have been positioned behind Charles and Camilla - with Anne and Timothy behind William and Catherine. The cousins could have been moved to a different balcony. In the current set-up, Edward and Sophie were included in the order of precedence.

And being in the same row doesn't mean that you sit next to each other. They were seated on different sides of the aisle.

hmm - Afraid this is not the thread for this discussion. Precedent and all. So we will leave it here. But I have been told that a new Family protocol and precedence will be released for the Jubilee. Figured it was to say where Andrew and the Sussex's fell in - now I think it is something else.

BREAKING NEWS - The Queen will NOT be attending the ceremony today - as she has 'sprained her back' which is unrelated to her other health issues.

Last edited:
Very sad news. The medical advisors must have been severely under pressure to allow her to attend but obviously her well being is paramount.

This is very sad news indeed. HM will be devastated at not being able to attend at the Cenotaph. She must rest for the rest of the year now.

This is very sad news indeed. HM will be devastated [.....].

Or maybe she is very relieved, that she has been spared the shivering cold, standing on that windy balcony.

The highest ranked royals sat front row. What set them apart simply was the aisle, where usually the Queen would have had her chair.

Look at this picture, the only difference is the missing central chair.

Unusual sight a female member of the RF does not wear black at this event.

I think the dresscode is "subdued colours" not necessarily black.

Yesterday the Prince of Wales wore a blue suit, but also the Duke of Cambridge wore one in 2019: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/50/aa/86/50aa8626923f1c01779c62f4cd15fa5e.jpg

And the Duchess of Gloucester in burgundy red: https://i0.wp.com/thecrownchronicle...9-11-09-at-23.04.41.png?resize=1170,676&ssl=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, standing in the cold would be an ordeal of course for anybody of the Queen’s age. I think though that she would regard it as a mark of respect for the country’s war dead that she attend if she could, whatever the physical cost.

Last edited:
This absence of the Queen is worrisome. I hope she recovers and we can see her again soon.

The Duke of Kent also didnt lay his own wreath - has this happened before. Unsure?

Yes I just noticed that he was up on the balcony beside Princess Alexandra.

The Duke of Kent also didnt lay his own wreath - has this happened before. Unsure?

He laid it last year and looked very unsteady on his feet. I remember noticing that both Princess Anne and Prince Edward stood back to let him go in first when they were leaving the ceremony ... and wondered if it was so they could help him if necessary. He is on a balcony with his sister. Precedence would have had them go in before him, just as they came out before him.

And Gloucester?

The Duke of Gloucester hasn't ever laid a wreath in his own right (he may have laid one for his father after his father largely became incapacitated).

The Duke and Duchess were on the balcony with Tim Laurence.

Back
Top Bottom