Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it only Charles and Camilla attending the Festival of Remembrance this evening?

Is it only Charles and Camilla attending the Festival of Remembrance this evening?

From the BBC One website, I think it's only The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall who will be attending the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance, schedule to be broadcast at 9:10pm. However, I am unsure whether the Festival of Remembrance will be live or pre-recorded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000pb3s

It's pre-recorded, apparently. Not much has been said about what's included, but presumably performances by solo singers were OK.

Oh, I didn’t realise this was going ahead. I find v moving especially at the end when they do the silence and poppies fall down on the service people. Must say not many people wearing poppies when Ive been out n about. But then not many poppy sellers either which is probably due to social distancing etc.

There aren't any (or many at least) public poppy sellers this year. You can order them by post in batches from the RBL and sell them to your friends/colleagues etc but obviously it's much more difficult than picking them up outside shops. And people aren't going out and about as much in general.

It's pre-recorded, apparently. Not much has been said about what's included, but presumably performances by solo singers were OK.

Thank goodness its still going ahead was fearful it could be cancelled.

There aren't any (or many at least) public poppy sellers this year. You can order them by post in batches from the RBL and sell them to your friends/colleagues etc but obviously it's much more difficult than picking them up outside shops. And people aren't going out and about as much in general.

Thankfully they're still outside my local Tescos and Sainsburys in Belfast!!

The annual Remembrance Sunday memorial at The Cenotaph today

https://www.gettyimages.es/search/2/image?events=775577743&family=editorial&editorialproducts=all

https://www.rexfeatures.com/livefeed/2020/11/08/remembrance_sunday_service,_london?

"As Colonel of the @WelshGuards, The Prince of Wales this afternoon attended the Welsh Guards Black Sunday Service, where he lay a wreath at The Guards’ Memorial and met representatives of the Regiment."

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen led other members of the RF at todays service at the Cenotaph, HM watched from a balcony as the Prince of Wales laid a wreath after two minutes silence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Remembrance-Sunday-commemorations-online.html

(I know its DM but they have lots of pics)

The event observed social distancing and far less people were able to attend. HM stood on a balcony with a lady in waiting and watched as the Prince of Wales laid a wreath on her behalf, an equerry laid one for Philip, Charles placed his own, then William, Edward and Anne and the Duke of Kent.

Camilla and Kate watched from one balcony standing apart and Tim and Sophie from another.

The Queen led other members of the RF at todays service at the Cenotaph, HM watched from a balcony as the Prince of Wales laid a wreath after two minutes silence.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Remembrance-Sunday-commemorations-online.html

The event observed social distancing and far less people were able to attend. HM stood on a balcony with a lady in waiting and watched as the Prince of Wales laid a wreath on her behalf, an equerry laid one for Philip, Charles placed his own, then William, Edward and Anne and the Duke of Kent.

Camilla and Kate watched from one balcony standing apart and Tim and Sophie from another.

Is the social distancing the reason they used nos masks today. But then when HM layed the wreath at Westminster Abbey there was also a distance to the other people who where there.

I suspect it was because they were all 2meters apart and outside where masks are not required by UK law.

HM was inside Westminster Abbey when she laid her wreath and masks are required indoors.

I wonder if this is the first time in a long long while so many members of the RF have been together and all seen one another, if so how special it must have been for HM as well.

Is the social distancing the reason they used nos masks today. But then when HM layed the wreath at Westminster Abbey there was also a distance to the other people who where there.

Because she was inside and everyone at the Cenotaph is outside. The person leading the service/prayers is the only allowed to not wear a mask in a church.

It was a very different commemoration today but still a very well done event.

Nice to see the Duke of Kent looking quite spry as well.

Most likely because they're maintaining a distance to each other outside.
In some of the photographs she was wearing a mask. Looking at the video, I notice that the handfull of attendees are all socially distancing.

The service this morning was dignified & moving as always. The band outstanding.

The Festival of Remembrance didn't feel at all like it usually does but I suppose in the circumstances that's to be expected. I found the singers accompanying Sunset by the Band of the Royal Marines quite jarring.

Last edited:
I know it's necessary but it's sad to see the queen in a mask.

Yes I agree. Very sad.

It's appropriate that she could mark the centenary of the burial of the Unknown Warrior. Her grandfather & father had been at the original internment of course.

"They buried him among the kings because he had done good toward God & toward his house".

Why am I not surprised this is being leaked today of all days.. hasn't Roya been historically pro Sussex?

The leaking of the story about Harry being denied a wreath at the Cenotaph seems to have the grubby paws of Sunshine Sachs all over it.

The funeral of the Unknown Warrior Armistice Day 1920:

2.50 George V lays the first ever wreath at the newly constructed cenotaph.

3.13 George V & his three eldest sons behind the coffin.

The story of the Unknown Warrior:

[...]

I did smile at what seemed to be the Queen peering around the wall of the balcony to get a better view. I guess normally she is in the middle but social distancing meant she had to stand to one side (although I assume her LiW is part of her "bubble")

I'm not at all surprised to see the Queen come out of 'staying at home' for Remembrance events, she always places great importance on them. I do hope next year is more like it usually is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure Andrew would have wished to be here as well but as the decision has been made for him to retire from royal service, he wasn't allowed to attend - but surely will have marked the day privately.

HM always looks at some of her most engaged at events like this. I'm glad the BBC also included her visit to the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior earlier in the week during the broadcast.

And that they had the 5 High Commissioners there to represent all nations of the Commonwealth and they weren't overlooked, especially Nepal as it still provides thousands of Gurkhas.

It was a bit obvious that Andrew was missing considering the rest of the Queen's children were all there, but he also "retired" and if he had been then the event would also have become all about him.

How moving and poignant...HM wiping away a tear, Charles and William standing side by side, the veterans insisting on gathering to honor their fallen comrades...

Victoria Arbiter tweeted this poem that was written by 14 year old Joshua Dyer to accompany a hymn called “On the Road to Passchendaele” for a veteran’s concert last year...It’s stunningly beautiful.

'One Thousand Men Are Walking'

One thousand men are walking

Walking side by side

Singing songs from home

The spirit as their guide

they walk toward the light milord

they walk towards the sun

they smoke and laugh and smile together

no foes to outrun

these men live on forever

in the hearts of those they saved

a nation truly grateful

for the path of peace they paved

they march as friends and comrades

but they do not march for war

step closer to salvation

a tranquil steady corps

the meadows lit with golden beams

a beacon for the brave

the emerald grass untrampled

a reward for what they gave

they dream of those they left behind

and know they dream of them

forever in those poppy fields

there walks one thousand men

Thank you Betspaige for that boys touching words.

From the great Siegfried Sassoon the heartrending poem Aftermath:

Have you forgotten yet?…
For the world’s events have rumbled on since those gagged days,
Like traffic checked while at the crossing of city-ways:
And the haunted gap in your mind has filled with thoughts that flow
Like clouds in the lit heaven of life; and you’re a man reprieved to go,
Taking your peaceful share of Time, with joy to spare.
But the past is just the same–and War’s a bloody game…
Have you forgotten yet?…
Look down, and swear by the slain of the War that you’ll never forget.

Do you remember the dark months you held the sector at Mametz–
The nights you watched and wired and dug and piled sandbags on parapets?
Do you remember the rats; and the stench
Of corpses rotting in front of the front-line trench–
And dawn coming, dirty-white, and chill with a hopeless rain?
Do you ever stop and ask, ‘Is it all going to happen again?’

Do you remember that hour of din before the attack–
And the anger, the blind compassion that seized and shook you then
As you peered at the doomed and haggard faces of your men?
Do you remember the stretcher-cases lurching back
With dying eyes and lolling heads–those ashen-grey
Masks of the lads who once were keen and kind and gay?

Have you forgotten yet?…
Look up, and swear by the green of the spring that you’ll never forget

Last edited:
HM always looks at some of her most engaged at events like this. I'm glad the BBC also included her visit to the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior earlier in the week during the broadcast.

And that they had the 5 High Commissioners there to represent all nations of the Commonwealth and they weren't overlooked, especially Nepal as it still provides thousands of Gurkhas.

Who were the five High Commissioners in attendance?

Malta (also laying on behalf of Cyprus)
Bangladesh (also laying on behalf of India, Pakistan, Singapore and Malaysia)
Malawi (also laying on behalf of all the African countries in the Commonwealth)
Papua New Guinea (also laying on behalf of Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga)
St Vincent and the Grenadines (also on behalf of Canada, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Domenique and Belize)

As well as the Ambassadors for the Republic of Ireland and Nepal.

One from each continent representing the others.

Malta - Europe

Bangladesh - Asia

Malawi - Africa

Papua New Guinea - Oceania

St Vincent & the Grenadines - the Americas

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom