Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Again another incredibly moving ceremony, with only a slight glitch. It was cold but it is November. Well done to all who took part, especially such revered veterans.

The Duchess of Gloucester was nicely turned out.

The BBC report about the Armistice events mentioned Prince and Princess Michael attending one today. There are good photos of this on Rex Features if anyone is interested.

The BBC report about the Armistice events mentioned Prince and Princess Michael attending one today. There are good photos of this on Rex Features if anyone is interested.

Here are some of the pics:

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent at Armistice Day Service at the
National Memorial Arboretum, Staffordshire, Britain - 11 Nov 2008

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Remembrance Services 2009

poppy.jpg

  

Last edited:
Prince Harry to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph for first time - Telegraph

He will represent the Prince of Wales who is in Canada with the Duchess of Cornwall on an official tour.
The 25-year-old second lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, who is third in line to the throne, will follow the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh in the ceremony to honour the fallen.

He is unusually taking precedence over Prince William, who is a future King, because he is standing in for his father the heir to the throne.

Prince Harry will lay his father’s wreath, complete with the feathers of the Prince of Wales, and a personal handwritten note in honour of the war dead. He will be dressed in the blue and scarlet uniform of an officer in the Household Cavalry Division.The Queen approved the decision to invite Prince Harry to step in for his father. He has been practising wreath laying at St James’s Palace where he shares an office with Prince William.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the first pics from yesterday:

Queen Elizabeth, the Duke of Edinburgh and the Duke of York arrive
at the Royal Albert Hall in London to attend the Royal Festival of
Remembrance in tribute to those who gave their lives fighting for
their country. London, November 7 2009.

More members of the family attended as well, but no pics so far.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Beautiful ceremony so far. Harry laying a wreath for his father is wonderful. :flowers:
The Queen looked stunning last night, i'm surprised she departed from her usual floor length gown.

Thank you for the pictures, Princess Anne did us proud with the reading. The acoustics/sound set up in the AH were not brilliant for some reason. As it was a moving service, I was a little surprised by the picture of Andrew, even if he did have a jolly good time, it was inappropriate at such a solemn ceremony!

BBC NEWS | In Pictures | In pictures: Remembrance Sunday

Thousands of people across the country have honoured the men and women killed in conflicts past and present with a two-minute silence.
The Queen laid a wreath at the Cenotaph in London in front of the prime minister, military leaders and Commonwealth representatives

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8348225.stm

The Queen today led the nation is paying respect to Britain's war dead in the Remembrance Sunday ceremony.
The Monarch, warmly clad in a black coat against the autumn chill, placed the first wreath in the annual event at the Cenotaph in Whitehall.
Skies were threatening but the rain held off as the Queen was followed in placing wreaths by the Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Harry, on behalf of the Prince of Wales who is on an official visit to Canada, and Prince William

Read more: Queen leads Remembrance Day ceremony in first year without World War I veterans | Mail Online

Last nights festival of remembrance -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00ntlgy/Royal_British_Legion_Festival_of_Remembrance_2009/

One question:

I know that the British commemorate their servicemen and women on the Sunday closest to Remembrance Day but... do you also have some acknowledgement on the day itself.

Here is Australia we will have a minute's silence at 11.00a.m. but then our major commemoration day is ANZAC Day not Remembrance Day.

We have a 2 minute silence at 11 a.m. on the 11th day of the 11th month. This is observed throughout the country, in towns, cities, banks, offices, train stations, shops etc. Most people observe the silence, but not all. :flowers:

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but I notice that the Earl of Wessex was wearing the poppy in his hat. Is that correct? Does it have some special relationship to the uniform he was wearing (why aren't the other royal men wearing the poppy in their hats?)?

And I notice that Sophie was wearing several poppies on her hat too (instead of wearing them on the coat as royals regularly do). I have never seen a royal lady doing that at this ceremony, and I find it very puzzling.

This is just a question regarding the past, anyone knows why didn't Princess Margaret often attend the Remembrance Sunday? I could not recall her attending this solemn event in her later years at all.

I don't believe there is a rule that you must where the poppy on your uniform, or coat in Sophie's case. Prince Harry is also wearing one of the side of his hat.
Edward possible wore the poppies there because they wouldn't stay on his jacket. :)

Pardon my ignorance, but I notice that the Earl of Wessex was wearing the poppy in his hat. Is that correct? Does it have some special relationship to the uniform he was wearing (why aren't the other royal men wearing the poppy in their hats?)?

And I notice that Sophie was wearing several poppies on her hat too (instead of wearing them on the coat as royals regularly do). I have never seen a royal lady doing that at this ceremony, and I find it very puzzling.
I do not believe it is correct and has no special relationship to the uniform he was wearing, afaik. It is not supposed to be a fashion statement and was a highly inappropriate way for Sophie to wear the poppy of remembrance.

Having done some research on the question of wearing a poppy, it seems that some regiments do wear them in their ceremonial caps (I googled "how should poppy be worn on uniform" and the question appears to have been asked by a number of servicemen/women). One correspondent simply replied that one should simply wear the poppy with pride and another described how it should be attached to the badge on the cap. Having said that, there may have been a change in the regulations/dress code. Presumably, if Harry has worn his poppy incorrectly, he will be reprimanded about it and if called to lay a wreath next year, we shall see if the poppy's position has been changed.

Last edited:
Princess Margaret used to participate in Remembrance Day. I believe once she became ill (I think it was the burning of the feet) she started to limit her public engagements.

It is always a pleasure to see Her Majesty with her grown-up grandsons attending the ceremony and Lady Thatcher alongside other Primer Ministers participating in the event.
Prince Edward and Countess of Wessex wore the poppies on their hats ..? It is rather odd thing to do.

Having done some research on the question of wearing a poppy, it seems that some regiments do wear them in their ceremonial caps (I googled "how should poppy be worn on uniform" and the question appears to have been asked by a number of servicemen/women). Presumably, if Harry has worn his poppy incorrectly, he will be reprimanded about it and if called to lay a wreath next year, we shall see if the poppy's position has been changed.
Just out of interest, I also googled and could only find sites pertinent to the various cadet forces, so could I ask you to send me the link? If worn on the cap for them, it is behind the cap badge, for some but not all, regiments it is behind the left chinstrap button

It is the first time, IB, that Edward has worn the poppy in his hat band and it would appear Harry has followed suit. It looked silly and inappropriate, especially compared to others in the same uniform as Harry who had it pinned to their lapel.:flowers:
It is worth remembering that the poppy is not part of any military uniform, the RAF do not wear them on parade at all, nor do many of the regiments unless the Parade Commander has explicitly asked for it.

Many senior officers have no idea where to place a poppy, Mr S always asks me which side it goes on, when he is in civis.

Look at Getty images. Search Remembrance Sunday 2007. You can see Edward and William worn the poppys in the hat band.

Look at Getty images. Search Remembrance Sunday 2007. You can see Edward and William wore the poppys in the hat band.
Thank you Conny, you are right, as did Charles. It looks entirely wrong, IMO!:eek:

Last edited:
I'm speaking in correction, but in South Africa you wear the poppy on your hat by regimental badge if you are wearing a covering coat or jacket. Women wear the poppy on their hat if they are wearing a military badge or unrelated brooch on their lapel. If the brooch and poppy are worn together it is signifying that the wearing direct relation died in the conflict and served in that regiment. Sophie was wearing the Queen Mary Army Nursing Corps badge. Unless she has family who served and died in battle, wearing it on her hat is right.
Our prot officer thinks it is a highly odd question as far as she concerned it will be on your hat if you are outdoors especially at cenotaph ceremonies and Armistice memorials. She says that out of uniform you can wear it in any way you want. Just not on a red armband, that is a no - no :) Thanks Bernice,

Women wear the poppy on their hat if they are wearing a military badge or unrelated brooch on their lapel. If the brooch and poppy are worn together it is signifying that the wearing direct relation died in the conflict and served in that regiment. Sophie was wearing the Queen Mary Army Nursing Corps badge. Unless she has family who served and died in battle, wearing it on her hat is right.
I am not sure what a PROT is, it does not appear to be a term used by our military. You are correct regarding wearing the poppy above medals, if the medals you are wearing belonged to someone who has died in a conflict. You do not have to have served yourself, (hence the wearing of the poppy above war medals by widows/partners/children), but not a brooch or other military badge. If you do not wish to wear the poppy on the left, because of a military badge, it is worn on the right. It is worth noting that Sophie was not wearing a proper poppy, just an adornment on her hat.
Our prot officer thinks it is a highly odd question as far as she concerned it will be on your hat if you are outdoors especially at cenotaph ceremonies and Armistice memorials. She says that out of uniform you can wear it in any way you want.
Perhaps things are different in other countries because here, many in the military, wear it on the lapel of their coat/jacket.

Last edited:
When I lived in Canada, in my distant past, I remember people wearing them on their lapels or jackets/coats. In the U.S. poppies used to be sold by organizations like the Veterans of Foreign Wars, but nobody I remember ever wore them...

The variability of the locations of the poppies worn by the Royals this year struck me as very strange.

But I was very pleased to see William and Harry taking their places with the family. Although Harry appeared to be swamped by his coat... (but this cougar did find him to be very handsome!)

Yes, it was nice to see serving soldiers laying their wreaths, alongside the rest of the royals. Harrys coat did seem a little on the large size, perhaps he has lost weight.

Same here. Many churches have a two-minute silence as part of a Remembrance observance on Sunday as well.

We have a 2 minute silence at 11 a.m. on the 11th day of the 11th month. This is observed throughout the country, in towns, cities, banks, offices, train stations, shops etc. Most people observe the silence, but not all. :flowers:

Back
Top Bottom