Remembrance Day Services 1: 2003-2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love love Kate's hat, young and totally appropriate for the somber occasion. I think it's suede and lether (maybe wrong).

On the other part, did you have a look at Sophie's Hat? I like this girl but really I ask myself what did she have in mind for putting this hat on today? It's for a wedding not this kind of celebration today.

A very moving ceremony - as always. I agree with Rospru this is an occasion that reflects well on the UK. It is good to see people from all classes cultures & creeds coming together. The Royal family have always been at the heart of this, & it's fitting to see William now part of this tradition.

At the festival of remembrance on saturday evening, there was a man and a woman stood behind Princess Alexandra and Prince Michael of Kent. Does anyone know who they were?

I do wonder what Camilla and Catherine were chatting about. Would love to be the fly on that wall. The way the royals place the wreaths at the Cenotaph? Is it done in rank order or succession order?

The press, the people, your royal family, your goverment, ...We should really take your country as an exemple from this point of view.
The remembrance weekend is one weekend which is practically untouchable. Our press and our government should never be used as "good" examples to any country. We remember the fallen, I do not know why we do in such a significant and profound way, it has just always been done.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:

I don't know but it's another proof, if needed, that they appreciate each other very much.

Thanks for the photos!
The ceremony was beautiful and deeply moving.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2s0e6g9.jpg(originally posted by iceflower)
It is nice to see Prince and Princess Michael. I wish she had a different hairstyle.

Last edited:
Isn't the hat Sophie is wearing the one she wore to Albert and Charlene's wedding? I like her hair up, it looks really lovely, but I am not loving the hat.

Catherine and Camilla looked good, as did the other members laying wreaths. It really bugs me how people get annoyed at Edward wearing the uniform and laying a wreath yet happily accept Anne in uniform and laying a wreath when she has not served time in the miltary either. At least Edward went to the Marines as a university student too.

I do wonder what Camilla and Catherine were chatting about. Would love to be the fly on that wall. The way the royals place the wreaths at the Cenotaph? Is it done in rank order or succession order?

I believe the order is by precedence, with the Queen coming first, then the DoE, then PoW then the rest of his siblings and Duke of Cambridge.

I believe the order is by precedence, with the Queen coming first, then the DoE, then PoW then the rest of his siblings and Duke of Cambridge.

Well then precedence was broken today, as it went HM, Prince Phillip, POW, William, Duke of York, Prince Edward, Princess Royal and The Duke of Kent. I'm thinking it's succession because it can't be rank.

Last edited:
:previous:

I don't know but it's another proof, if needed, that they appreciate each other very much.

I certainly hope they appreciate each other and get along splendidly. The royal family could use some harmony among its members after years of divorces and other issues.

But let's not forget that photos can be very deceptive. Royals are by training very good actors. They will present the for the particular situation proper behaviour. Let's not use photos for determination of family harmony. That will be the last place we will notice any issues.

But let's not forget that photos can be very deceptive. Royals are by training very good actors. They will present the for the particular situation proper behaviour. Let's not use photos for determination of family harmony. That will be the last place we will notice any issues.

I must admit it would be an oscar-winning performance !
Oh well ...

Well then precedence was broken today, as it went HM, Prince Phillip, POW, William, Duke of York, Prince Edward, Princess Royal and The Duke of Kent. I'm thinking it's succession because it can't be rank.

Thanks for the info--I didn't see any video (yet), so if that's the caes I'm not too surprised. I've noticed that William has been placed just after PoW, rather than after the Princess Anne in various cases, such as Court Circular, etc. It could be by succession, but I think the line of succession doesn't mean anything much to them, not as much as precedence at any rate. Hence I think the Queen has choosen to move the Duke of Cambridge higher in the precedence to be just after PoW and before the rest of PoW's siblings. Note that in the pictures of the royal folks in the boxes, the Duchess of Cornwall was on the leftmost, then Catherine, then Sophia and finally Tim, as if they were lined up by order of precedence. Or maybe it didn't happen that way, but I suspect they plan everything down to where people stands and sit.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the Cambridges now come in just after PoW and Duchess of Cornall in the Queen's private precedence (if not also the official public one).

Of course I could be completely wrong though, but that's just my educated guess. :flowers:

Photos Showing Good Relations between BRF Members

Other posters referred today to photos that suggested good relations between Catherine and other royals; another commented rightly that photos can be deceiving.

I thought that one image in particular was very revealing: a shot of Camilla and Catherine looking into each others eyes and sharing a moment of genuine humour. If they didn't get along, they might laugh together, but not look deep into each other's eyes with such intimacy as that look suggested.

Not proof by any means, I admit, but the evidence is strong.

This service is one to witness in person. Most moving.

The Duchess of Cornwall dressed, imo, perfectly for the occasion.

The Countess of Wesssex's hat looked quite splendid also I thought. An expected choice given her evident love for the design, but nonetheless this particular hat was quite lovely.

I do wonder why Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Lawrence is relegated to the sidelines after a distinguished career as a naval officer, and thus is not given any opportunity to present a wreath himself, while his wifes military postings are 'merely' ceremonial.

He may not be a royal, but he is a member of the royal family and has well and truly earned his spot amongst princes!

It doesn't sit well with me at all.

I was looking at many galleries about the event, and I found an amazing pic of Catherine. This is my very personnal taste, but her face is so full of dignity here, she looks like a real lady, the future queen of England. This pic could have been perfect for a paint gallery.

I was looking at many galleries about the event, and I found an amazing pic of Catherine. This is my very personnal taste, but her face is so full of dignity here, she looks like a real lady, the future queen of England. This pic could have been perfect for a paint gallery.

That's really strange how two people can view the same picture in totally different ways. I think she looks bored and can't be bothered to concentrate on what's going on beneath her, whereas you see it as dignified and elegant. :)

do wonder why Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Lawrence is relegated to the sidelines after a distinguished career as a naval officer, and thus is not given any opportunity to present a wreath himself, while his wifes military postings are 'merely' ceremonial.

Well i know it's from the Mail (so a grain of salt) but you'll maybe find this quote interesting :

"Protocol dictates that those married into the family, with the exception of the Duke of Edinburgh, watch from a distance."

From here:

Regal Duchess of Cambridge attends her first Remembrance Sunday ceremony as a member of the monarchy | Mail Online

That's really strange how two people can view the same picture in totally different ways. I think she looks bored and can't be bothered to concentrate on what's going on beneath her, whereas you see it as dignified and elegant. :)
And I was thinking: "wow she has aged!" Seriously I can't believe it - not to mention the as always too dark eyebrows - she really looks old. Alas the once pretty girl is gone. Sophie looks younger than her in my opinion....

She is. Kate's make-up and weight loose added her 10 years.

In 2009, the wreath laying order was the Queen, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Harry who was laying the wreath for his father who was in Canada at the time, Prince William, Duke of York, Earl of Wessex, Princess Royal & Duke of Kent. So William being fourth isn't new for this year. Last year, William was in Afghanstan.

The Princess Royal does what she wants. Remember, she walked behind the Queen Mum's casket with her brothers instead of riding in a car with Queen. I would not be suprised when her parents pass that she will guard the casket with her 3 brothers like was done for George V & the Queen Mum.

I don't think that Catherine looked bored in that picture. She is the wife of a serving officer who flys dangerous missions in rough terrain & weather. She is a granddaughter of a WWII vet who passed away around this time last year.

Looking solemn and looking bored can look the same. Plus, she likely was feeling sad about her grandfather. Lots of things to remember about him at the Remembrance service. Grief isn't a flattering look.

I don't think that Catherine looked bored in that picture. She is the wife of a serving officer who flys dangerous missions in rough terrain & weather. She is a granddaughter of a WWII vet who passed away around this time last year.

Back
Top Bottom