Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The below video probably circa 2007 - 2009 shows the jocular teasing side of Harry's and William's relationship that always existed between them as close-in-age brothers. There also appeared to be a bit of tension between them too in this video as they were answering questions about Africa (and the TUSK endeavor). They were clearly in Africa at the time. The house in the background may be where Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip stayed in the early years of their marriage after her father's death.

Tensions and competitiveness between brothers are normal, but William and Harry have currently undergone more intense strains in their relationship than usual. Still, as this video shows, they've always been competitive with each other, only it was more lighthearted when they were younger and when Harry was still single after William married. William does look a bit annoyed at times during this video, as does Harry but he shows it differently than William:

Clearly, from this video and the other I posted in #1230 above, Harry has a deep connection to Africa, but both brothers do apparently from what William also expresses in this video. It's kind of key that Harry says: "When I get a chance to get away, nine times out of ten, it's to Africa." So maybe it's true that Harry and Meghan spent some time in East Africa on their 2018 honeymoon. I think the brothers' emotional connection to Africa stems from the period when their father took them there to heal after their mother's death.

Last edited:
I did not know that William and Harry had always been competitive with each other. How they always always seemed very close.

I’m really very disappointed of how Harry is changing after his marriage. The relationship with his brother seemed to be unique and now this cold public relationship looks like the top of the iceberg. It is very sad after all...

Even if there is a difference, why blame Harry? To be honest, if it’s true that William wasn’t supportive of Harry’s relationship with Meghan, then I don’t blame Harry for being upset. Overall, though, these two young men are human and, despite their positions, are just like any siblings - having ups and downs in their relationship is no big deal.

There is a big deal and it is not because of they are royal, it is because they are brothers. The idea that William was not supportive can be read in many ways. He is the one that took years to decide if Kate was right or not. So advising to take things easy is not strange. He cared about his brother in my opinion. I don’t know what is the purpose of Harry, but somebody would need to remember him that the royal family exist because of his grandmother and will continue to exist if his father and brother are successful in keeping it united.

Some people fall in love and marry within a couple of years, others take longer. Age comes into play. People in their thirties often do not want to take eight years to decide to get married. That can mean remaining childless.

We don't know whether William was counselling his brother to wait or not. That story came from a newspaper. As far as we know however, Harry wasn't counselling his brother nine years ago about HIS love life. He allowed him to make up his mind himself.

IMO it's fine to offer advice if you are asked for it, but if you know that someone, whether a sibling or not, is desparately in love, then you have to be ready for them to react adversely, if you go ahead and proffer it yourself, depending of course on how you phrase things. IMO you also have to allow an adult to make his/her own decisions and fulfil their own destiny.

Last edited:
I’m really very disappointed of how Harry is changing after his marriage. The relationship with his brother seemed to be unique and now this cold public relationship looks like the top of the iceberg. It is very sad after all...

No need to be disappointed that Harry has changed. He is healthier (less smoking, drinking), his sense of direction is stronger (he is even more focused on the charities near and dear to his heart), he is a family man that is committed to the safety and happiness of his wife and child. These are not bad things.... everywhere else hey would be considered strong qualities too look for in a spouse.

The only different is Harry is not around to prop up another couple, but then again after 8 years of marriage that couple should be solid enough to prop themselves up. Harry should not be expected to give up his opportunity for happiness to be a life long third wheel to another another couple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Be upset if he is changing for the worst. This split will only give him and Meghan a platform to bring light on the causes they believe in.

No need to be disappointed that Harry has changed. He is healthier (less smoking, drinking), his sense of direction is stronger (he is even more focused on the charities near and dear to his heart), he is a family man that is committed to the safety and happiness of his wife and child. These are not bad things.... everywhere else hey would be considered strong qualities too look for in a spouse.

The only different is Harry is not around to prop up another couple, but then again after 8 years of marriage that couple should be solid enough to prop themselves up. Harry should not be expected to give up his opportunity for happiness to be a life long third wheel to another another couple.

Harry certainly seems like a happy man since his marriage, but I'm not sure we have any evidence that he is healthier, smokes and drinks less, or is any more dedicated to his chosen causes than he was before his marriage.

The idea that he is needed to prop up the Cambridges (!?!) is so odd I have no idea where that came from, or why he would be expected to give up his opportunity for happiness to do so. Could you please cite some sources for that information?

where on earth do you get your information from, you have absolutely no evidence to back up that last paragraph.

The hypocrisy on this forum is beyond belief, anything a media outlet, Daily Mail or RR's say in anyway to criticise the Sussexs are called everything on here, but if these same organisations are following THE agenda i.e flattering them or mis calling the Cambridges then what they say is taken as gospel.
you cannot have it both ways.

There is a big deal and it is not because of they are royal, it is because they are brothers. The idea that William was not supportive can be read in many ways. He is the one that took years to decide if Kate was right or not. So advising to take things easy is not strange. He cared about his brother in my opinion. I don’t know what is the purpose of Harry, but somebody would need to remember him that the royal family exist because of his grandmother and will continue to exist if his father and brother are successful in keeping it united.

So what they are brothers? And? Harry is entitled to live his life. He is not required to tag along with William and Kate for the rest of his days. People will read into these stories however they want. We have no idea but what we do know is that both couples are going their separate ways. It is for the best.

If The Queen didn't approve of these decisions they wouldn't be happening. The Sussexes and Cambridges be united when need to be but they are their own people with their own visions. As long as the overall goal is protecting and expanding the life of the monarchy then it is what it is. Everyone has their role to play.

Some people liked it more when Harry as the third wheel in the relationship and when he was unhappy. He grew up, fell in love, and wanted to have a separate household. All normal for adults in their 30s.

My disappointment is not because the separation of roles, duties or foundations. I don’t think The Cambridge needs a third or four wheel to carry their jobs. I am disappointed for how cold the brothers’ relationship is becoming at least in public, It is troubling to think about Meghan’s own relationship with her family and how different that is (was) from Harry’s relationship with his family and now instead of following on his steps, he is following on hers.

My disappointment is not because the separation of roles, duties or foundations. I don’t think The Cambridge needs a third or four wheel to carry their jobs. I am disappointed for how cold the brothers’ relationship is becoming at least in public, It is troubling to think about Meghan’s own relationship with her family and how different that is (was) from Harry’s relationship with his family and now instead of following on his steps, he is following on hers.

So you are basically blaming Meghan. Well, the Sun's Emily Andrews said someone told her it was Meghan who had tried to make peace between Harry and William.

Except we don't truly know how close (or not) these people are because they have very crafted images for the stake of the monarchy's profile. Take for example the "Fab Four" stuff they were pushing which was clearly not the case. Or even the two brothers being super super close when even now the reporters admit that hasn't always been true. Or heck.... their own parents. They were miserable for years and still played it up for the cameras.

We never know the real truths. Just what they want us to see but eventually things are revealed. As for Meghan. She is close to people she considers her family and extremely close to her mother. Not everyone is bless with non toxic surroundings. The fact that she thrived in spite of a lot of negativity on her paternal side should actually be a positive and I can see how that would appeal to someone who could be surrounded by it.

What we saw "in public" isn't necessarily the truth, and probably influenced by media narrative, and subjective opinion.

Well, Harry’s family certainly consistent more than his brother, so I fail to see how he’s distancing himself from his family. As for Meghan’s own family relationship, she’s close to those she loves and loves her back for her. It’s odd that she’s being blamed for cutting out people that are toxic. And certainly, two grown adults aren’t following in each other’s step. They can decide without grouping people into one group just because they are related.

My disappointment is not because the separation of roles, duties or foundations. I don’t think The Cambridge needs a third or four wheel to carry their jobs. I am disappointed for how cold the brothers’ relationship is becoming at least in public...

All siblings go through phases. For what ever reason, wives, jealousy, higher rank or more income. Makes no difference. There is not a person on this earth that has not argued with his/her sibling. Just that this is played out in public and the stupid media is taking sides. They are just stirring the pot. Like anything else, the brothers are different people with different personalities.

So you are basically blaming Meghan. Well, the Sun's Emily Andrews said someone told her it was Meghan who had tried to make peace between Harry and William.

> I don't believe Ariel is blaming Meghan, but it is not difficult to get to that conclusion: 3 people get on quite well, a 4th joins, it all falls apart.

> Do all 4 shoulder some of the blame, yes. Some more than others possibly, but it can't be confirmed and is speculation.

> That speculation can only mount when you look at the backgrounds, where 3 out of 4 come from close families, and grew up with businesses (if you can call The Firm that!) where family members work closely together. The fourth meanwhile, apart from one parent, could not even find one relative to attend her wedding. Does this background mean Meghan is solely to blame for any breakdown in family relationships and a work relationship: no, not really! But rightly or wrongly, it just leads credence to the story.

> I don't believe Ariel is blaming Meghan, but it is not difficult to get to that conclusion: 3 people get on quite well, a 4th joins, it all falls apart.

> Do all 4 shoulder some of the blame, yes. Some more than others possibly, but it can't be confirmed and is speculation.

> That speculation can only mount when you look at the backgrounds, where 3 out of 4 come from close families, and grew up with businesses (if you can call The Firm that!) where family members work closely together. The fourth meanwhile, apart from one parent, could not even find one relative to attend her wedding. Does this background mean Meghan is solely to blame for any breakdown in family relationships and a work relationship: no, not really! But rightly or wrongly, it just leads credence to the story.
Did 3 get on so well or did they just not spend so much time together? This goes back to the amusing reaction to Sussexes moving to Windsor to break up with the Cambridges. In fact, that is when most of the reports started regarding the rift.

Fact of the matter is, these people have lived different lives for years. Even before Cambridges got married, they were living in a rented home in Wales. Harry was either in London or wherever military training took him. And then the Cambridges were mostly in Norfolk even though they had an official home at KP. So, the idea takes root that they all live so close together. However, if we think about the amount of time they actually spent there until last year and whatever else Harry had going on, they actually don’t seem to spend that much time together or even live in KP that much at the same time. Even before Meghan came into the picture.

As the case with many extended families (and that’s what siblings are when they grow up and form their own families), distance is a beautiful thing. There is bound to be more friction any time people, who are now used to not be in each other’s space all the time, are in each other’s sphere more.

Last edited:

Did they get on quite well or is that just what they let us assume? Maybe it is harder to keep up an act with a fourth person. Maybe they tried their hardest and eventually crashed. Or maybe it was fine personally until the business aspect came into play and that is where the biggest clash reared. Families working together is not easy.

None of these people are perfect. I doubt any are completely innocent behind the scenes. All their lives have changes in the last few years. People grow. With that priorities shift and someones so do relationships. People's tolerance levels tend to decease over the years.

No family is more dysfunctional than the Windsors if we being truly honest.

Did they get on quite well or is that just what they let us assume? Maybe it is harder to keep up an act with a fourth person. Maybe they tried their hardest and eventually crashed. Or maybe it was fine personally until the business aspect came into play and that is where the biggest clash reared. Families working together is not easy.

None of these people are perfect. I doubt any are completely innocent behind the scenes. All their lives have changes in the last few years. People grow. With that priorities shift and someones so do relationships. People's tolerance levels tend to decease over the years.

No family is more dysfunctional than the Windsors if we being truly honest.

These are all very good points, especially the bolded.

Sibling relationships ebb and flow. That’s just the normal way of things. Families go through a period of resettling and rebalancing when a new personality marries in. Businesses and non-profits have to readjust when a new executive comes on board, and sometimes when they expand in too many directions, the only thing that makes sense is to spin off a piece and let it become its own thing. This is just how things work.

But a moment of tension or unsettled feelings doesn’t mean being off-kilter will become the new normal. What’s more likely is that this period of growing pains will be temporary and the Cambridges and Sussexes will settle into their new normal. And if (IF!) the root of any tension in the moment is from Harry and William butting heads, after they get used to being the bosses of their own offices and not having to agree on every detail together, they’ll likely have the emotional room they need to settle back into being supportive and loving brothers again.

their effort is not enough given that they've been married for 8 years.

I could not disagree more..They are doing THE most important job adults can do.. bringing up their children [and our future King, and Royal family], in a warm, secure and well adjusted family. Their children are yet young, and [God willing] there are years aplenty ahead to do charity stuff.
What matters to me, is a secure bedrock for the future, and the most important part of that is the well being of their children.

Sibling relationships ebb and flow. That’s just the normal way of things. Families go through a period of resettling and rebalancing when a new personality marries in. Businesses and non-profits have to readjust when a new executive comes on board, and sometimes when they expand in too many directions, the only thing that makes sense is to spin off a piece and let it become its own thing. This is just how things work.

But a moment of tension or unsettled feelings doesn’t mean being off-kilter will become the new normal. What’s more likely is that this period of growing pains will be temporary and the Cambridges and Sussexes will settle into their new normal. And if (IF!) the root of any tension in the moment is from Harry and William butting heads, after they get used to being the bosses of their own offices and not having to agree on every detail together, they’ll likely have the emotional room they need to settle back into being supportive and loving brothers again.

This I also agree with. I do think distance will help in the end. These men have their own paths and responsibilities. It was time for them to focus on that and have a clear way of doing that. Being attached at the hip was fine when they were both single men. They are now husbands and fathers. Let them grow and figure out who they are as men and brothers in this new chapter of their lives. It is life. It doesn't have to be this major thing. It is just that they unfortunately have the press who want to be all up in their business spinning it for clicks.

I’m not Team Cambridge or Team Sussex, I really liked Wills and Harry’s mother, for so long didn’t believe all the bad press she had, and hoped it was just rumors. Hopefully, all the bad press being said about her children is not true, but who really knows what happens under the curtains. The fact is that if they choose to live public lifes they need to follow some rules. Being a royal is not being a celebrity, they don’t need to win a popularity contest against each other. None of that will change who the next king will be.

My disappointment is not because the separation of roles, duties or foundations, the only reason for my post being in this thread is because the administrator moved it here. I don’t think The Cambridge needs a third or four wheel to carry their jobs. I am disappointed for how cold the brothers’ relationship is becoming at least in public, It is troubling to think about Meghan’s own relationship with her family and how different that is (was) from Harry’s relationship with his family and now instead of following on his steps, he is following on hers.

And you blame Harry for that.........and apparently Meghan for her lack of relationship with her father who doesn't act like much of a father (and that's being extremely kind). Nothing you say makes sense, I'm sorry.

People remember William and Harry as little boys who were always together, but boys grow up - and they develop their own interests, their own personalities. It would be almost impossible for them to be as bound to each other as when they were young because they each have their own lives to lead. Sometimes they will disagree - and maybe it means they don't get along for a period, but that happens with siblings; it happens with people in general. It's really no big deal.

Last edited:
My reference was to the fact that William's role, status, and future are on a divergent course from Harry's and that at some point in the future they won't be just two brothers, they will be the sovereign and subject, and Harry will be subordinate to, and to a degree, dependent on William. That's a lot to absorb, especially since Harry now may see how this will impact not only himself, but his wife and children. Especially if he and William are currently at odds with each other over something (unknown and unspecified).

With power comes responsibility often followed by blame when something goes wrong and because of this William has to be very careful. He has to earn respect and win hearts and minds of the people. Being a king in 2040 - 2080 will be entirely different ball game. Having squabbles with your younger brother does nothing for an image of the king.
Harry on the other hand has plenty of freedom.

With power comes responsibility often followed by blame when something goes wrong and because of this William has to be very careful. He has to earn respect and win hearts and minds of the people. Being a king in 2040 - 2080 will be entirely different ball game. Having squabbles with your younger brother does nothing for an image of the king.
Harry on the other hand has plenty of freedom.

So as the older brother, in your estimation, William should bend to his younger brother's wishes in order to keep the peace?

No, just no. Sometimes younger siblings are wrong.

I also think William is more cautious, less impetuous and deliberates longer than Harry. Those two differing personalities can find it difficult to work together.

Last edited:
You are writing things that I didn’t say, I don’t blame Meghan for her lack of relationship with her family.
You know what, Im not going to loose more time trying to explain my point to you,
And you blame Harry for that.........and apparently Meghan for her lack of relationship with her father who doesn't act like much of a father (and that's being extremely kind). Nothing you say makes sense, I'm sorry.

People remember William and Harry as little boys who were always together, but boys grow up - and they develop their own interests, their own personalities. It would be almost impossible for them to be as bound to each other as when they were young because they each have their own lives to lead. Sometimes they will disagree - and maybe it means they don't get along for a period, but that happens with siblings; it happens with people in general. It's really no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom