Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read a couple of years ago that the Queen and Prince Philip went regularly to have tea at Edward and Sophie's home and catch up with the family. With Prince Philip's increasing frailty don't know whether that still happens, though.

I read a couple of years ago that the Queen and Prince Philip went regularly to have tea at Edward and Sophie's home and catch up with the family. With Prince Philip's increasing frailty don't know whether that still happens, though.

If Philip is living at Sandringham that kind of regularity would seem to be less. :ermm:

But what you say reinforces that Edward and Sophie seem to have always been the more accessible domestic household. (And likely Anne's, too, I have always thought, since Anne is the daughter, and daughters just are more accessible to their mothers). :flowers:

Also, let's not forget Sophie has known the Queen for longer than her marriage itself. I remember seeing pictures of them together as early as 1993.

Also, let's not forget Sophie has known the Queen for longer than her marriage itself. I remember seeing pictures of them together as early as 1993.

I didn't know that. :flowers: I do know that the drama that swirled endlessly around the Wales' marriage at the time impacted the timeline of the Wessexes' relationship into engagement and marriage. There was always 'something' that forced Edward and Sophie to hold off (that's my memory/impression) hence the long courtship.

From something I read here on TRF my understanding is the Queen was very solicitous of Sophie in the early years of her marriage when Sophie was having harrowing medical events happen around pregnancies. :sad: For example, having Sophie ride with her (the Queen) at events so Sophie didn't have to walk or stress herself, etc. At that time they became close. (The fact that Edward and Sophie are the royal couple that always go abroad to attend continental royal events suggests that they are able to socialize effortlessly and agreeably).

It helps that Edward and Sophie live very close to Windsor. I have always had the sense that Edward and Sophie are the family that show up at Windsor to visit the Queen on a Sunday afternoon on a regular basis. :flowers: Others can correct me if I'm wrong.

Dare I dip into a comparison? ;) In many ways Sophie and Meghan share a similar background: both are coming from careers that require personability and an ability to not only get along with most anyone but be able to put people at their ease. I would think that alone was refreshing for the Queen.

It's why I think if Meghan and Harry get a house near to the Queen (and Charles), like in the Cotswolds, it is more likely that there will be a steady interaction between Harry's family and the Queen and Charles, as well as Edward and Sophie, and Anne's family, who all live in that area.

But everyone always speaks highly of the Queen. :cool: It appears to be a given. To do otherwise would be unthinkable methinks. That's not to say Sophie does not have genuine admiration for the Queen. Especially given that they appear to be friends as well as in-laws.

BTW I have also read here on TRF that the Queen has been especially solicitous to Sophie's widowed father. Once his wife passed, the Queen made every effort to include the father at royal events, in carriage rides with her (the Queen), etc. That speaks to a close family relationship amongst that particular family grouping, I would say. Looks it to me. :flowers:

LATER: Ah, this post....:flowers:

Yes, this speaks to that kind of regular, every-day relationship. I'm not aware of any other family (outside of perhaps Anne's) that socialize with the Queen the way Edward and Sophie do. (Not even William and Kate).
Wow thanks for the information. Did not know a lot about their relationship. Kind of wish Kate would make an effort like Sophie has with The Queen. I believe Kate and The Queen have a heir like relationship since she is married to William a future king.

Wow thanks for the information. Did not know a lot about their relationship. Kind of wish Kate would make an effort like Sophie has with The Queen. I believe Kate and The Queen have a heir like relationship since she is married to William a future king.

It's a totally different kind of relationship. Sophie is the wife of the Queen's son and she has known her for 20-something years.

Kate is the wife of her grandson and much younger. It's not even comparable.

I have also read that if Andrew is at Royal Lodge - with or without one or other daughters - that he also visits the Queen regularly at the weekends.

It is Anne and Charles who see her less due to not living as close as Edward and Andrew, whose main homes, are in Windsor Great Park.

I think Charles hardly ever sees the Queen apart from joint official engagements and major family events.

I believe the Queen has only ever visited Highgrove about 4 times in the last 30+years.

Beatrice, Eugenie and Harry have all commented that they dropped in for tea with Granny and since they all lived at KP that would work well. Since William and Catherine have been married since 2011 how close they are is unknown to me. However, William takes regular instruction/chats and probably tea with Granny so it seems her "private personal tea time" was observed by her children, while her grandchildren "just drop in".

Interestingly, Sarah seems to take tea with HM and spends time at Sandringham when Philip is not there. She regularly says she adores the Queen and that she is the most forgiving person she knows.

Note: I remember reading that Harry is someone HM feels very confident about. So much so that when the Olympic stunt was floated she said she'd ask Harry what he thought before deciding.
Honestly, since the relationship with Meghan first hit I have been doing so much extraneous royal reading I can't remember what I read where!

I think the Queen has warmed to Camilla extraordinary well too. Even though they probably don't see each other that much, they seem to get along rather well.

I think Charles hardly ever sees the Queen apart from joint official engagements and major family events.

I believe the Queen has only ever visited Highgrove about 4 times in the last 30+years.

This doesn't jive with reports made in memoirs. :ermm: It sounds like the Queen has 'dropped in' at Highgrove to visit with Charles (we know that from one memoir: 'The Housekeeper's Diary').

Where do you get only 4 times in 30+ years? This is difficult to ascertain as both the Queen and Charles are not talking. :cool: Plus servants are bound by confidentially agreements. So how have you figured 4 times across 4 decades? Wondering.

It's a totally different kind of relationship. Sophie is the wife of the Queen's son and she has known her for 20-something years.

Kate is the wife of her grandson and much younger. It's not even comparable.

You can still have the same relationship. Its also unconditional love.

Beatrice, Eugenie and Harry have all commented that they dropped in for tea with Granny and since they all lived at KP that would work well. Since William and Catherine have been married since 2011 how close they are is unknown to me. However, William takes regular instruction/chats and probably tea with Granny so it seems her "private personal tea time" was observed by her children, while her grandchildren "just drop in".

Interestingly, Sarah seems to take tea with HM and spends time at Sandringham when Philip is not there. She regularly says she adores the Queen and that she is the most forgiving person she knows.

Note: I remember reading that Harry is someone HM feels very confident about. So much so that when the Olympic stunt was floated she said she'd ask Harry what he thought before deciding.
Honestly, since the relationship with Meghan first hit I have been doing so much extraneous royal reading I can't remember what I read where!
So William talks to the Queen regularly? How regularly? I did not know that about Harry and The Queen. That's interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:

On the contrary - I have heard that they regularly have morning/afternoon tea together when free when both are in London and they do see each other quite a bit in Scotland.

:previous: Needless to say "regularly" is as specific as BP, CH and KP get.

On the contrary - I have heard that they regularly have morning/afternoon tea together when free when both are in London and they do see each other quite a bit in Scotland.

Only makes sense given that Charles is taking over more and more of the Queen's daily work. :cool: Absolutely they would have to be talking to each other, I would think, and if the Queen (his mother) is in any way 'failing' it's likely Charles would want to keep in touch with her pretty 'regularly'.

Scotland makes sense, too. :flowers: So far away it seems to me Charles and Camilla would be 'regular' guests to Balmoral and vice-versa. Makes sense. Why think otherwise?

There’s just no way to know how often members of the family interact with each other privately. I remember when it emerged that Catherine was taking George to BP regularly to swim in the pool there, it’s quite possible Catherine and the Queen have interactions we are unaware of. I’ve read that Zara and Peter and William are close, but had no idea that Eugenie and Harry were until it emerged that she’d set him up w/ Cressida and I assume Eugenie is close to William & Catherine since she attended Pippa’s wedding.
Regarding Sophie it must be a relief to the Queen that at least one of her children had a successful first marriage.

Overall, I think each member of the royal family has his or her own close relationship with the Queen and Philip. Sophie and Edward most likely do see more of the Queen than the other siblings because of living within close proximity. We often see Lady Louise out riding in Windsor Great Park and recently has taken up carriage driving which must tickle Philip pink as that is one of his passions.

When the Queen is at Windsor Castle, its been known that she goes around visiting. She used to often pop into cousin, Margaret Rhodes, home there for tea after church or visit with her horse trainer and stable master. William used to walk over the bridge from Eton to spend Sunday afternoons with his granny.

A lot of this kind of stuff doesn't come to be public knowledge because its their private time and to the Queen, her private times are sacrosanct. Its hard to believe that the Queen is anything but well loved by her family.

well they are certainly not going to advertise family ups and downs and quarrels. But I think the queen is certainly highly respected by all her relatives, and especially as she gets older, depends on them for companionship.

If proximity is a reason for visiting the Andrew would be with his parents as much or more than Edward as he lives a lot closer at Royal Lodge - 4.8 km compared to 18 km for Edward and Sophie.

I also imagine that another reason Edward and Sophie are often seen at Windsor with the queen is due to still having young children. Louise and James are still young enough to not have regular plans at the weekend with friends (although I imagine Louise is starting to get there) so they go to Granny’s to see her to make sure they’ve seen their grandparents regularly. The other grandchildren spent a lot of time with their grandparents as children so Louise and James are doing what the rest have done, only they’re doing it 20 years later.

I also imagine that another reason Edward and Sophie are often seen at Windsor with the queen is due to still having young children. Louise and James are still young enough to not have regular plans at the weekend with friends (although I imagine Louise is starting to get there) so they go to Granny’s to see her to make sure they’ve seen their grandparents regularly. The other grandchildren spent a lot of time with their grandparents as children so Louise and James are doing what the rest have done, only they’re doing it 20 years later.
That's true.I think that Ed and Sophie because they married add had their children late, are still at the "staying home with the kids" stage, whereas the other children have long since passed that stage. Their children are grown up, working and have children and busy lives...

I wonder what the relationship is between Meghan and her aunts and uncles-in-law?

Meghan and Edward? Does Princes Andrew and Edward get along with their niece-in-law?

I've read Andrew doesn't care for Meghan. But I only read that once, with no corroboration with any other press, so I assumed it wasn't true.

One mention in the totally reliable :whistling: Express, that Andrew had been cold to her on first meeting her. :ermm: We all know how reliable these 'sources' are from private family events.

I doubt Meghan has spent enough time with any of them to have really built any kind of relationship with them. Other then Harry, William and Kate, and Charles and Camilla. She will have met the uncles and cousins at things like Easter and Christmas but likely not much else. And since they spent Christmas at Amner, not at the main house, would have seen the rest of the family at church and the formal family meals.

I've read Andrew doesn't care for Meghan. But I only read that once, with no corroboration with any other press, so I assumed it wasn't true.

The press like to stir remember.

It was only a year or so back that press stories were so bad about Andrew and Charles' relationship that Andrew released a statement denying any rift. That hasn't stopped the press continuing to portray Andrew in a bad light. His work is never covered - and he is very involved in helping young people get together with investors through Pitch@Palace but that doesn't rate ...

The press has had a narrative for decades:

one royal = good
next royal = bad

so 'good Elizabeth' and 'bad Margaret'

then 'good Charles' and 'bad Andrew'

soon it will be 'good William' and 'bad Harry'

The heir has to be built up at the expense of the second and Andrew therefore has to be portrayed as disliking Charles' future daughter-in-law just as Charles has to be shown as regarding Andrew's daughters as not up to standard.

As I stated in another thread, the media has a storyline that goes back decades, whoever is king or is going to be King/Queen is good while the other one is bad, and it only happens with the ones who are the same gender:
Albert Victor and George
Edward VIII and George VI
Margaret and Elizabeth
Charles and Andrew
William and Harry
In 2036 we can start seeing the commentators painting George as a saint and Louis as the bad boy prince.

The heir has to be built up at the expense of the second and Andrew therefore has to be portrayed as disliking Charles' future daughter-in-law just as Charles has to be shown as regarding Andrew's daughters as not up to standard.

To be fair, the media and public's dislike of Andrew isn't all because he's the second son. He's made questionable choices long past an age where it's understandable.

As I stated in another thread, the media has a storyline that goes back decades, whoever is king or is going to be King/Queen is good while the other one is bad, and it only happens with the ones who are the same gender:
Albert Victor and George
Edward VIII and George VI
Margaret and Elizabeth
Charles and Andrew
William and Harry
In 2036 we can start seeing the commentators painting George as a saint and Louis as the bad boy prince.

Except that with Albert Victor and George, or Edward VIII and George VI, it was actually the other way around, i.e. the older brother bad and the younger good. And, with William and Harry, I have never seen any such comparisons.

Let's get back on topic which is relationships between members of the BRF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom