The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-13-2020, 07:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Much to the relief of the royal family, Harry’s relationship with William is said to be “much better than it was.” The brothers are in regular contact, and the Sussexes have sent Christmas gifts to the Cambridge family. “I have no doubt they will be video calling each other over Christmas,” said the friend.
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...year-in-review

This makes me happy... I feel comfortable in saying that Harry and Meghan have a good relationship with Charles, and that things are probably fine with HM and Philip (especially Harry, even if Philip may still be annoyed with him, lol). Obviously, the biggest concern was H’s relationship with William. I’m glad it’s in a much better place...that’s encouraging.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:11 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...year-in-review

This makes me happy... I feel comfortable in saying that Harry and Meghan have a good relationship with Charles, and that things are probably fine with HM and Philip (especially Harry, even if Philip may still be annoyed with him, lol). Obviously, the biggest concern was H’s relationship with William. I’m glad it’s in a much better place...that’s encouraging.
I would be happy for William and Harry if things betwee them are, indeed, better. That said, I remain wary of how true this is, or if this is just more drivel or spin.

Old 12-13-2020, 09:13 AM
Serene Highness

[QUOTE=acdc1;2358672]I certainly hope that William and Harry’s relationship will heal over time, and time and space will certainly help things, but I have a feeling that as of right now none of the things you say the Sussexes should do to help amend the situation from their end (stop using their titles and playing at royalty) aren’t going to happen. They seem pretty bound and determined to have their own Court of Montecito and establish themselves as celebrity-philanthropist-royalty hybrids. They aren’t going to stay out of the limelight, and as a vaccine makes it possible for things to open up more and for them to actually get out and do work I have a feeling we will be seeing and hearing MUCH more from Harry and Meghan, and they will probably continue to be “thorns in the family’s side” in that way. I know that there were probably things that William did on his end that were hurtful to Harry and that he needs to rectify as well (certainly when he told Harry to put the breaks on the relationship with Meghan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he might not have been super chummy or welcoming to her all the time).

I would be interested in your source that you know these things.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I would be happy for William and Harry if things betwee them are, indeed, better. That said, I remain wary of how true this is, or if this is just more drivel or spin.
I agree. I doubt if Wills friends are going to say anything and if they do it wont be anything negative ie they're not likely to say that Will and Harry are still on bad terms. But I think that the episode in March showed that the 2 of them were very uneasy and could not even manage to look polite at a public event... so given that all through the year, Harry and Meghan have shown themselves to be moving further and further away from the UK and the royal way of life.. I doubt if William's negative feelings have been soothed as yet.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

[QUOTE=Hallo girl;2360414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I certainly hope that William and Harry’s relationship will heal over time, and time and space will certainly help things, but I have a feeling that as of right now none of the things you say the Sussexes should do to help amend the situation from their end (stop using their titles and playing at royalty) aren’t going to happen. They seem pretty bound and determined to have their own Court of Montecito and establish themselves as celebrity-philanthropist-royalty hybrids. They aren’t going to stay out of the limelight, and as a vaccine makes it possible for things to open up more and for them to actually get out and do work I have a feeling we will be seeing and hearing MUCH more from Harry and Meghan, and they will probably continue to be “thorns in the family’s side” in that way. I know that there were probably things that William did on his end that were hurtful to Harry and that he needs to rectify as well (certainly when he told Harry to put the breaks on the relationship with Meghan, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he might not have been super chummy or welcoming to her all the time).

I would be interested in your source that you know these things.
There is no source, I probably should have said “I strongly suspect” rather than “I know.” I assumed people would know what I meant, but I guess it was confusing.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:35 AM
Royal Highness

Whilst I do hope everyone has mended some fences I'll take everything with a pinch of salt as it seems to come in waves "they made up when Charles (and William) had Corona" two months later "still at daggers drawn!" another two months "talking and sending prezzies" etc. It depends on who's writing the article, who made any leaks to the press and if there's a book or TV show about the issues to publicise.

We're also unlikely to get a full picture of what HM and Phillip's relationship with them is like both on a personal level and as a former boss/still head of the family. Again I do hope things are better between everyone on a personal level even if I remain sceptical about harmony on a working level but I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavs View Post
Whilst I do hope everyone has mended some fences I'll take everything with a pinch of salt as it seems to come in waves "they made up when Charles (and William) had Corona" two months later "still at daggers drawn!" another two months "talking and sending prezzies" etc. It depends on who's writing the article, who made any leaks to the press and if there's a book or TV show about the issues to publicise.

We're also unlikely to get a full picture of what HM and Phillip's relationship with them is like both on a personal level and as a former boss/still head of the family. Again I do hope things are better between everyone on a personal level even if I remain sceptical about harmony on a working level but I don't think we can say for sure one way or the other.
Agree. I don't think that Philip is happy with Harry and probably the queen's a bit negative too. Charles has probably remained sympathetic, but he must be wary of how volatile his son is. I think that Will probably is much less sympathetic than Charles.. he must feel upset and abandoned.. and perhaps he blames his brother's wife for persuading him to walk out...
Old 12-13-2020, 11:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Of course we don’t know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, but I imagine that William helping to support (along with Charles, etc..) Harry and Meghan after the miscarriage would have started the healing process. I think Kate Nicholls is a pretty good source, so while we can’t absolutely say for certain this is true until we get multiple sources (or even from Scobie), I think there’s a good chance this is true.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

I didn’t know that Charles and Andrew were once close...it’s a shame (and I’m not even referencing Andrew’s issues) that they developed a rivalry.

Quote:
”There absolutely has been rivalry between Andrew and Charles but my understanding is that that rivalry developed at a later stage in life and that actually, when they were young handsome princes enjoying their early years of marriage, they were the 'Fab Four'," Nicholl tells 9Honey.

"They were the ones going on holidays together, they were the ones skiing together. And they had these sort of bright, gorgeous, exciting, new royal wives and there was actually, I think, more companionship between them at that stage in their life than perhaps at any other.

https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pri...4-678c0ba22011
Old 12-17-2020, 04:56 PM
Majesty

When Sarah joined the Royal family she and Diana, who had known each other previously, became close for several years sharing together their not always favorable impressions of Palace life and courtiers.

However, from everything I have read Charles and Andrew were never close at any point of their lives really. Eleven years age difference, very different temperaments, different interests, different stages of life, different positions in the Royal family, in some ways a different upbringing, as Andrew was more indulged as a child by his parents who had a bit more time for him. Charles was mainly brought up by Nannies Lightbody and Anderson until he went to school.

By the time Andrew was conscious of his surroundings Charles was away at Gordonstoun, and Timbertops in Australia. He was a university student when Andrew was at prep school. And, as I've said, nothing in their characters or interests have brought them close since, apart of course from being from the same parents and sharing some family memories. That's not to say that they aren't civil/cordial to each other most of the time when they meet of course, however, because of the large age gap etc I wouldn't say that Charles was close to either Andrew or Edward.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When Sarah joined the Royal family she and Diana, who had known each other before, became close for several years sharing together their not always favorable impressions of Palace life and courtiers.

However, from everything I have read Charles and Andrew were never close at any point of their lives really. Eleven years age difference, very different temperaments, different interests, different stages of life, different positions in the Royal family, in some ways a different upbringing, as Andrew was more indulged as a child by his parents who had a bit more time for him. Charles was mainly brought up by Nannies Lightbody and Anderson until he went to school.

By the time Andrew was conscious of his surroundings Charles was away at Gordonstoun, and Timbertops in Australia. He was a university student when Andrew was at prep school. And, as I've said, nothing in their characters or interests have brought them close since, apart of course from being from the same parents and sharing some family memories. That's not to say that they aren't civil/cordial to each other most of the time when they meet of course, however, because of the giant age gap etc I wouldn't say that Charles was close to either Andrew or Edward.
This is what I’ve heard, as well.... Siblings can love each other and not be close.....I do love that Charles created a story for Andrew and Edward; that’s very sweet and loving.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
When Sarah joined the Royal family she and Diana, who had known each other before, became close for several years sharing together their not always favorable impressions of Palace life and courtiers.

By the time Andrew was conscious of his surroundings Charles was away at Gordonstoun, and Timbertops in Australia. He was a university student when Andrew was at prep school. And, as I've said, nothing in their characters or interests have brought them close since, apart of course from being from the same parents and sharing some family memories. That's not to say that they aren't civil/cordial to each other most of the time when they meet of course, however, because of the giant age gap etc I wouldn't say that Charles was close to either Andrew or Edward.
I tend to agree with you. Growing up, Charles and Andrew were very far apart in age, and subsequently, had very diiferent paths. I am sure there is familial love, but I doubt there is much friendship there in the way Charles and Anne will be close.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
This is what I’ve heard, as well.... Siblings can love each other and not be close.....I do love that Charles created a story for Andrew and Edward; that’s very sweet and loving.
that was when they were children and he was a much older brother...I'D Imagined he was almost like an uncle to them then.
I think that in the 1980s, Andrew was old enough to do royal duties and was in the Navy.. and so he and Charles had a bit in common while Edward was still at University... Charles had been in the Navy, and was now a full time working royal. Diana and Fergie were close in age and had been good friends before Fergie married Andrew, so it was natural that for a time, they might spend time together but I think it was more the wives being good friends.
I think that over time there was a rivalry and it developed between Di and Fergie as well as Andrew and Charles.. The Yorks were reasonably popular iwth the public... for a short time.. but they were much less rich than the Waleses and I think that they both became resentful of their secondary position... and began to try and make money in dubious ways. Diana and Sarah also had an off and on rivalry as "princesses who were loved by the public". Sarah got more press criticism and Diana was the Teflon Princess...
Old 12-18-2020, 06:15 AM
Royal Highness

Actually when referring to his distance to Edward, Charles replied that he was almost a second father. I will find the video (it is on Youtube) But I don't think that it was in a reality. Edward was sent to be with Anne up at Gatcombe when his parents were away and weekends when possible, especially when he was at Gordonstoun. Andrew went to the Queen Mother. Never understood why the two were split up. Neither went to Charles. Although I expect that Charles would have been more then likely at the Queen Mother.
Edward is very close to the Princess Royal. Prince Andrew isnt really close to any of his siblings.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Actually when referring to his distance to Edward, Charles replied that he was almost a second father. I will find the video (it is on Youtube) But I don't think that it was in a reality. Edward was sent to be with Anne up at Gatcombe when his parents were away and weekends when possible, especially when he was at Gordonstoun. Andrew went to the Queen Mother. Never understood why the two were split up. Neither went to Charles. Although I expect that Charles would have been more then likely at the Queen Mother.
Edward is very close to the Princess Royal. Prince Andrew isnt really close to any of his siblings.
Interesting post, especially on Edward's relationship with Anne, as well as Andrew's relationship with his sibling. I would also like to point out that Andrew is also godfather to Harry and Zara. Of course things could have changed since the 1980s when Andrew may have been closer to his siblings or when there are more possibilities of having the parent's sibling as the newborn baby's godparent, compared to now.

I'm not quite sure about Andrew's relationship with his nephews and nieces. Judging by some pictures, Beatrice and Eugenie are close to their paternal cousins. In terms of the York Princess's relationship with their paternal aunt and uncles, I think they are closer to Edward.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:36 AM
Majesty

I think that Andrew's scandals and his louche way of life have probably impinged on his having close relationships with his siblings..
I doubt if Charles was a "father" to the younger boys but I think he was a good and affectionate older brother when they were kids. Then as he grew up and went away to the Navy and so on, they were still very young and at school or univeristy... I think that Andrews bumptious personality probalby grated on Charles, and apart from a few years while he was newly married, they weren't all that close.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
that was when they were children and he was a much older brother...I'D Imagined he was almost like an uncle to them then.
I think that in the 1980s, Andrew was old enough to do royal duties and was in the Navy.. and so he and Charles had a bit in common while Edward was still at University... Charles had been in the Navy, and was now a full time working royal. Diana and Fergie were close in age and had been good friends before Fergie married Andrew, so it was natural that for a time, they might spend time together but I think it was more the wives being good friends.
I think that over time there was a rivalry and it developed between Di and Fergie as well as Andrew and Charles.. The Yorks were reasonably popular iwth the public... for a short time.. but they were much less rich than the Waleses and I think that they both became resentful of their secondary position... and began to try and make money in dubious ways. Diana and Sarah also had an off and on rivalry as "princesses who were loved by the public". Sarah got more press criticism and Diana was the Teflon Princess...
Of course it was when Andrew and Edward were children..

Your post makes sense...

General comment - It feels like the rivalry developed because Andrew was jealous of his older brother, the future King, though I wonder if Charles was envious of the attention Andrew got from their mother. I don’t think that latter is the case with Edward, though, so there has to be more than that.

I’ve read that Charles and Edward have a good relationship. It doesn’t mean they are especially close, but I wouldn’t expect that with such a huge age difference.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:04 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Of course it was when Andrew and Edward were children..

Your post makes sense...

General comment - It feels like the rivalry developed because Andrew was jealous of his older brother, the future King, though I wonder if Charles was envious of the attention Andrew got from their mother. I don’t think that latter is the case with Edward, though, so there has to be more than that.

I’ve read that Charles and Edward have a good relationship. It doesn’t mean they are especially close, but I wouldn’t expect that with such a huge age difference.
I think that while Andrew was never an angel, the break up of his marriage didn't improve his character. I think he was hurt by Sarah's leaving him.. and he never seems to have had a serious relationship that might end in marriage - perhaps he's never felt able to have a real love affair or trust anyone...but he's remained loyal to her. However that's not good because Sarah always wanted money and I think that by keeping up a close relationship with her, he got dragged into a need to make more and more money in dubious ways. so i feel that as he's grown older he's envious of Charles for being POW, and having a lot more money than he has, even if he's Mum's favourite child. And again that feeling of resentment has made him more unpleasant....
Wiht Edward I think becuase he's so much younger, he hasn't palled up with anyone especially- and there's not the same resentment and tension between him and his older brohter as there is with Andrew....
Old 12-18-2020, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I think that while Andrew was never an angel, the break up of his marriage didn't improve his character. I think he was hurt by Sarah's leaving him.. and he never seems to have had a serious relationship that might end in marriage - perhaps he's never felt able to have a real love affair or trust anyone...but he's remained loyal to her. However that's not good because Sarah always wanted money and I think that by keeping up a close relationship with her, he got dragged into a need to make more and more money in dubious ways. so i feel that as he's grown older he's envious of Charles for being POW, and having a lot more money than he has, even if he's Mum's favourite child. And again that feeling of resentment has made him more unpleasant....
Wiht Edward I think becuase he's so much younger, he hasn't palled up with anyone especially- and there's not the same resentment and tension between him and his older brohter as there is with Andrew....
Could be - that’s interesting, and it makes sense.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:51 PM
Royal Highness

Plus, I truly believe that Edward has Sophie who seems to be well liked and a rather calming way of just getting on with her responsibilities without a lot of fanfare. Edward seems to really adore her and together neither seem to be a threat in any way to the rest of the royals. I remember watching a video years ago when Sophie was so very ill after giving birth to their first child and Edward mentioning Anne being in constant contact thru it all. Just a few off the cuff words but you could tell he seemed close and had soft feelings for his sister. Gave me a much warmer side to Anne who usually doesn't project that part of herself in public. But now that someone mentioned that Edward stayed with his sister while his parents were gone for weeks on official business, I can see how that bond was strongly formed. Nice

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings