The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-20-2019, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Harry himself on the 'rift between the brothers'.

My take: they will always be brothers but currently they are in the 'bad days'-phase.

That was my take-away. “Different paths” indicated to me that their issues are on-going for now. But- they’re brothers; so they’ll always be there for each over.

I’d be surprised if William wanted this publicly acknowledged. Or the rest of the family.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Of course the brothers are on different paths now. They're no longer WilliamandHarry, Diana's sons. One is on the path to become the next Duke of Cornwall and perhaps Prince of Wales and then King. The other is going in a different direction with a focus on the Commonwealth (pretty clearly backed by HM, The Queen). Just as William joined the Royal Air Force and Harry joined the Army. That was going in different directions too. William's favorite color may be blue and Harry's green for all we know. Just because they're brothers doesn't make them clones of each other.

Different paths and perhaps even disagreements over time does *not* mean that the brothers are at war with each other. I seriously doubt that William is going to lose sleep over anything Harry's said and for all we know, William could playfully give him a punch on the arm the next time he sees him and quip "You forgot to add that our dogs don't get alone either!"

Old 10-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

^^
I understand what you’re saying. Obviously Harry and William have different life paths, but I don’t think that’s what Harry was referring to. He was specifically talking about the “rift.” That was the context of his response imo.

I don’t think it means that they’re at war either. Or estranged. This isn’t Cain and Abel.

I do think they are having some on-going differences of opinion of some kind. It happens. Families are never going to agree on everything. And they have the family business angle too.

I doubt William is losing sleep either- but I’d be surprised if he wanted this to be a publicly acknowledged fact.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Please note that several posts have been edited or deleted - let's stick to real rather than imagined relationships between members of the Royal Forums and let's avoid making speculative assumptions about their future relationships with one another. Thank you.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:53 AM
Majesty

I come from a somewhat larger family but we four girls bickered often. But these are but passing things we lived, loved and fought with equal passion. Things had been known to fly across the rooms. A mug of cocoa could result in a "surprise" ceiling, wall and window spring clean.

The point I am trying to make is when you are close and inheritors of your parents temperaments, genes will out. Tiffs, spats and angry arguments happen. But if you're solid it mean nothing unless some little earring stirs the pot.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:55 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
That was my take-away. “Different paths” indicated to me that their issues are on-going for now. But- they’re brothers; so they’ll always be there for each over.

I’d be surprised if William wanted this publicly acknowledged. Or the rest of the family.
Call me naive, but I understood different paths as meaning simply that. William is now on the path to become the heir and then the King, while he is forging a new role as a more junior member of the RF with a focus on the Commonwealth and Africa in particular.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:02 AM
Majesty

Nick Dixon of ITV says Prince William's team were 'taken back' by Prince Harry's comments after he appeared to confirm a rift with his brother.

https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1186155108641447938?s=21
Old 10-21-2019, 07:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Call me naive, but I understood different paths as meaning simply that. William is now on the path to become the heir and then the King, while he is forging a new role as a more junior member of the RF with a focus on the Commonwealth and Africa in particular.
Fair point. But even if there are differences, there is nothing to be gained, IMO, by airing them publicly. The interview would have been a very good chance for Harry to completely deny any rift within the family and the matter could have been dealt with privately.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I found the following artlcle from Metro and interesting read:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/10/21/princ...liam-10954571/

I do feel that the word "feud" is too strong a word in describing the current dynamics of the relationship between William and Harry. Not only is it alarmist but there doesn't seem to be any grounds for the use of such a word as it would point towards long-term bitterness and anger between them.

I think it's worth recognising that different personalities within a royal family (as indeed any family) are important not only in public presentation but also within the family itself.

The only problem with airing one's thoughts publicly about the state of our relationships - unless it is very carefully done - is that it can lead to more and more scrutiny.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:28 AM
Majesty

Harry can say anything he wants to. I just don't understand why he would choose to throw his relationship with his brother under the bus. Which is how I saw the comment. A simple "I love my brother" could have moved that question along. Instead we got what we got.

It will only add fuel to the fire. I don't care which royal generation you are, the press loves to find acrimony amidst and between them all. This was ill advised.

My only consolation is that these people are within a decade of being boring compared to the kids. The cycle will then repeat itself.

If Harry does not want to be the story, then he needs to quit being the story. JMO.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:46 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
Harry can say anything he wants to. I just don't understand why he would choose to throw his relationship with his brother under the bus. Which is how I saw the comment. A simple "I love my brother" could have moved that question along. Instead we got what we got.

It will only add fuel to the fire. I don't care which royal generation you are, the press loves to find acrimony amidst and between them all. This was ill advised.

My only consolation is that these people are within a decade of being boring compared to the kids. The cycle will then repeat itself.

If Harry does not want to be the story, then he needs to quit being the story. JMO.

Exactly! Harry and Meghan are being poorly advised. No, it’s not fair that she has been a target. However, the more they feed the press the more scrutiny and judgement they will face.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post

The full quote is “ we’re certainly on different paths at the moment.” To me, that clearly means he’s referring to the state of their relationship. (And he’s addressing the question being asked, which is their relationship.)

Their career paths in life are different for life. Nothing temporary about it.

As another poster stated, the problem with addressing this is that unless you are very careful with your words- in this case shut it down- you invite a ton more scrutiny and press. Which is what happened. I can’t tell you how many articles popped up on this subject doing a google search.

I certainly hope William wasn’t blindsided by this- which a report upthread indicates. That won’t help. I’d assumed he’d at least been made aware of Harry addressing the subject, but possibly not.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Since long drawn out question and answer sessions with the BRF never happen, any brief sentences can and will be interpreted/misconstrued the instant they make them..

That is what has happened to Harry today..

This is why [public] 'silence is golden', and why the 'let them bleat' in public is always a dire mistake..

By all means go to court [if you think you may win], and row in private [smash plates if you need to], seek help if you need to.. but do it in PRIVATE...

None of this helps the dynamics within the family, nor in the wider world.. and merely throws fuel on the [Tabloids] fire...
Old 10-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Since long drawn out question and answer sessions with the BRF never happen, any brief sentences can and will be interpreted/misconstrued the instant they make them..

This is why [public] 'silence is golden', and why the 'let them bleat' in public is always a dire mistake..

By all means go to court [if you think you may win], and row in private [smash plates if you need to], seek help if you need to.. but do it in PRIVATE...

None of this helps the dynamics within the family, nor in the wider world.. and merely throws fuel on the [Tabloids] fire...
Well said, Wyevale.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

The bond between the two brothers-which had been there from childhood-was really very special. I hope they rebuild their relationship soon because despite what either of them believes, they need
one other. When William comes to the Throne especially.

It would break Diana's heart to see their bond broken.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post

In our current society of internet trolls, social media and the fun British press, silence isn't golden either. There have been plenty of instances "not saying anything" was also interpreted by people. I've seen plenty of people saying/posting that lack of response (by whomever) was proof there is a rift/break/whatever.

Who was it that said: "For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible". Or something like that…
Old 10-21-2019, 10:52 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Nick Dixon of ITV says Prince William's team were 'taken back' by Prince Harry's comments after he appeared to confirm a rift with his brother.

https://twitter.com/gmb/status/1186155108641447938?s=21
There was no confirmation of a “rift” from Prince Harry. The press is just spinning it that way. He simply saying he and his brother have their ups and downs, but they support each other and love each other.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
There was no confirmation of a “rift” from Prince Harry. The press is just spinning it that way. He simply saying he and his brother have their ups and downs, but they support each other and love each other.

But- that’s your interpretation of what he said and meant. And that’s the problem. Harry opened a can of worms. He brought all this back into the public realm. And he failed to shut it down by the words he chose.

His hesitating before responding spoke volumes imo. Him saying they’re on different paths right now seemed telling, talking about how there are always issues in a pressure- filled family/business like theirs, they have good days/bad days. He invited further speculation, conclusions for people to draw.

I don’t take it to mean they’re estranged. But it was an acknowledgement of tensions imo.
How large or small- who knows. Families have issues- true. But- he opened a door I assume the family would prefer remained shut.

He needed to either make it a condition that the subject not come up- or simply say- there is no rift. The end.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:32 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
But- that’s your interpretation of what he said and meant. And that’s the problem. Harry opened a can of worms. He brought all this back into the public realm. And he failed to shut it down by the words he chose.

His hesitating before responding spoke volumes imo. Him saying they’re on different paths right now seemed telling, talking about how there are always issues in a pressure- filled family/business like theirs, they have good days/bad days. He invited further speculation, conclusions for people to draw.

I don’t take it to mean they’re estranged. But it was an acknowledgement of tensions imo.
How large or small- who knows. Families have issues- true. But- he opened a door I assume the family would prefer remained shut.

He needed to either make it a condition that the subject not come up- or simply say- there is no rift. The end.
Well, guess what? Siblings often have tensions between each other every now and then. That’s just how the cookie crumbles. Harry didn’t confirm a “rift”, but he went to talk about their love and support of each other and that most of the stories about their relationship is made up. They have a bond and love that most people simply don’t understand.

The press went on to spin his words and some people fell for the spin.

A.W. TOZER
Old 10-21-2019, 11:46 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
Well, guess what? Siblings often have tensions between each other every now and then. That’s just how the cookie crumbles. Harry didn’t confirm a “rift”, but he went to talk about their love and support of each other and that most of the stories about their relationship is made up. They have a bond and love that most people simply don’t understand.

The press went on to spin his words and some people fell for the spin.

Yes- they do. All families do. But it didn’t need to be discussed.

Harry did not say- yes, there is a rift. Fair enough. He failed to say- there is not a rift. And end it. Instead he rambled on about family issues- and acknowledged there are some. Make of it what you will. He opened the door. I can’t blame the media for his poor word choices in this case. Yes- they love each other, etc. But he needlessly opened the door imo.

My point is- Harry didn’t exercise good judgment with this. If he had to say something- say there isn’t a rift. Simple. For whatever reason- he opted out of the simplest, shortest answer that gave the press nothing.

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings