The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-23-2017, 01:54 PM
Aristocracy

I wonder how The Princess Margaret would receive Meghan?

Margaret was a no-nonsense princess, she would have had a small rift in my opinion.

She had rifts with her nieces-in-law, Diana and Sarah, and probably her ex-nephew-in-law, Mark.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Courtier

Relationships between Members of the British Royal Family

Princess Margaret only cut ties with her nieces in law once they embarrassed the Queen publicly, which for Margaret was a red line. I know that the inevitable response is “She was a hypocrite” but rightly or wrongly, Margaret was very welcoming to outsiders for as long as they played the game. I don’t think she would have any problem with Meghan. She always preferred the company of creative types. Though of course we can never really be certain.

I’ve never come across any issue that she had with Mark Phillips however. That’s a new one to me.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Bakery View Post

Margaret was a no-nonsense princess, she would have had a small rift in my opinion.

She had rifts with her nieces-in-law, Diana and Sarah, and probably her ex-nephew-in-law, Mark.
She probably would have received Meghan into the family the same way the other members are doing. Kindly, courteously and very happy for Harry.
Margaret didn't have any rifts with Diana and Sarah until she had reasons for having one.

These people were brought up with manners.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
She probably would have received Meghan into the family the same way the other members are doing. Kindly, courteously and very happy for Harry.
Margaret didn't have any rifts with Diana and Sarah until she had reasons for having one.

These people were brought up with manners.
Margaret also moved in show-biz circles and herself married (and divorced) a photographer who kept his day job, so I don't think Meghan's circumstances would be an impediment to a pleasant relationship.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:38 AM
Majesty

Quote:

I certianly woudnt say she was "no nonsense". I think she was "full of airs and graces" and nonsensical fuss about her status.
She had a rift with Diana over Dis public quarrels with the RF and the queen, to whom she was always loyal. I don't know of any rift with Sarah because I don't believe she was ever friendly with Sarah.. NEVER heard of her having any rift with Mark Philips. Why would she? I don't think she was close to him or Anne..
Where do you get this information please?
Old 12-24-2017, 06:40 AM
Courtier

If a Princess can’t be full of airs and graces, who can?
Old 12-24-2017, 06:46 AM
Majesty

Anyone who wnts to can, but it doesn't make them admirable.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

This whole thread is just hineininterpretieren as the Germans say. How would the sister of Harry's granny react to Ms Markle? Come on....
Old 12-24-2017, 06:50 AM
Courtier

Quite true but there was plenty to admire about Princess Margaret - even if it was only as a great Bohemian who lived a remarkable life. Certainly other members of the Royal Family seem to do so. Prince Charles pretty much alluded to that in his tribute.

It’s interesting because in looking at how the relationships between Royal Family members over the decades, Margaret sort of disappears for a while to become a jet setter but when she comes back, the Queen seems almost relieved. The photographs of the two sisters with their mother when they were much older shows this perfect little trio but with very little in common other than blood. The Queen has certainly changed a lot since their deaths.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Thus while thread is just hineininterpretieren as the Germans say. How would the sister of Harry's granny react to Ms Markle? Come on....
But there is endless speculation of ths kind about all sorts of royals. Would George VI have liked X, would the RF be different if he had lived to old age. Would Harry's mother like Meghan or Kate? Will Meg's dog like the..? WIll Meghan wear white..
IMO this is goingto go on till the wedding,
Old 12-24-2017, 06:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudete View Post
Quite true but there was plenty to admire about Princess Margaret - even if it was only as a great Bohemian who lived a remarkable life. Certainly other members of the Royal Family seem to do so. Prince Charles pretty much alluded to that in his tribute.

Is.
Bohemian? Great??
Old 12-24-2017, 07:00 AM
Courtier

Without a doubt. She belonged to a pantheon of society names who turned London into a playground and lived a kind of throwback existence to the days of Edwardian excess but coupled with the new and strange morality of the 1960s. It must have been a fascinating time to be alive and Margaret was very much at the forefront of all that. It was before the Sloanes made everything dull and boring, way before the sterile culture of today where everything is measured and pale. She was a true Princess in so many ways, a kind of Marie Antoinette. It’s testament to how much they loved each other that the Queen (who is the antithesis of all that) would never let anybody speak badly of Margaret. Guilt perhaps? A little jealousy? But I certainly believe the story that the Queen would call her sister at least once a week and say “No harm done”. It was almost as if the Queen saw it as compensation for what Margaret had been made to suffer. And certainly other members of the Royal Family seemed to delight in her company. If nothing else, it’s quite an achievement to be all that she was said to be and yet still be so loved.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Imperial Majesty

Excellent post Gaudete. If anything, the family that was known as "us four" remained a close and filled with unconditional love no matter what any of the four got up to. There may have been times when the Queen or the Queen Mum didn't particularily care for what Margaret got up to but underlying everything was a deep and abiding love. That made a world of difference.

Thinking back on this "us four" happy family, its made me kind of realize just how blatantly obvious it must have been for the Queen ascending the throne at such a young age with young children. One of the big sacrifices that she must have known that she had to make was with her role as Queen and with it, the responsibilities, she would have instinctively known that the price would be that she would not ever have the "us six" close type of a family that she grew up with.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
But there is endless speculation of ths kind about all sorts of royals. Would George VI have liked X, would the RF be different if he had lived to old age. Would Harry's mother like Meghan or Kate? Will Meg's dog like the..? WIll Meghan wear white..
IMO this is goingto go on till the wedding,
And I don't see how anyone would ever know for sure. The times they lived in were different and therefore they haven't had the experiences of the past 20 or 60 years to affect their thoughts and attitudes.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I certianly woudnt say she was "no nonsense". I think she was "full of airs and graces" and nonsensical fuss about her status.
She had a rift with Diana over Dis public quarrels with the RF and the queen, to whom she was always loyal. I don't know of any rift with Sarah because I don't believe she was ever friendly with Sarah.. NEVER heard of her having any rift with Mark Philips. Why would she? I don't think she was close to him or Anne..
Where do you get this information please?
She was close to Anne, Anne looks a bit like her aunt Margaret.

She was next in the pecking order of precedence with Mark at weddings and events in the 1970s and 1980s.
Old 12-24-2017, 05:54 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think the closest and intimate familial relationship that continued though was Margaret's son, David's relationship with the Queen Mum. Now that I think about it, it must have been really a double loss for David losing both his mother and his beloved grandmother in a span of less than two months.
Old 12-25-2017, 02:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
And I don't see how anyone would ever know for sure. The times they lived in were different and therefore they haven't had the experiences of the past 20 or 60 years to affect their thoughts and attitudes.
I'm not one of the people who tends to raise these sorts of questions. I find them hard to understand, as the answer generally is " we can't say"....

Quote:
She was close to Anne, Anne looks a bit like her aunt Margaret.

She was next in the pecking order of precedence with Mark at weddings and events in the 1970s and 1980s.
Anne looks nothing like Margaret. Margaret was pretty, Anne well not so much. I can't see the slightest resemblance phsycially or mentally... and I've never heard that Anne and Margaret were close. Anne is totally into "horsey" country life, Margaret was one of the few royals who didn't like that at all. I don't know what you mean about Mark,
Old 12-25-2017, 02:33 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
I'm not one of the people who tends to raise these sorts of questions. I find them hard to understand, as the answer generally is " we can't say"....
I'm a huge fan of alternate histories but when it comes to the relationships between members of the BRF, we don't even really know the factual details of any of their personal and private relationships let alone try and come up with alternate "what if" relationships. As the general public, we only see these people with their "game faces" on when they're working and appearing in public.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

A too rarely seen father and son moment: Charles and his "darling boy" Harry.

Prince Harry tells his father that he 'picks his brains' | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Courtier

Is there a thread for the relationship between Kate and Meghan?

Tags
british royal family, princessanne, relationship, relationships, siblings