Questions about British Styles and Titles 2: Sep 2022 - Aug 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What perks do those without titles have? The only thing is that they will get is no media scrutiny but there are even those with titles like the Gloucester’s who get little to no scrutiny.

Money, connections. Opportunities they get by virtue on being so and so. Having a leg up in a start to life.

Occasionally, but the media doesn’t talk too much about them.

Zara is very well known. Everyone I know knows of her and discusses. Of course she has a public personality because or career.

Zara is very well known. Everyone I know knows of her and discusses. Of course she has a public personality because or career.

ZAra is well known becuase she's a professional horse woman. Other royals who have titles have jobs that dont get media attention....

Money, connections. Opportunities they get by virtue on being so and so. Having a leg up in a start to life.

\Anyone from a wealthy family has that sort of assistance. They have wealthy friends and relatives who have businesses or jobs that can be offered to them. There are plenty fo minor royals who have titles of some kind (Lady Helen Taylor) who probalby got a start in their careers because of who they were, but equally there are lots of rich kids out there who got the same start. Even working royals like the Gloucesters get very litlte media attention...

Will King Charles really bequeath Prince's Philip's dukedom to Prince Edward? I really thought it would already merge to the Crown.

Of course people know her as a granddaughter of the Queen, but Zara has no titles and is accomplished in her own right as a sportswoman.

Not everyone who has titles is marketable. The Gloucester’s are royals with titles but are barely known and are “boring” to the media. It depends on how well known you are and whether you want to take those opportunities.

Will King Charles really bequeath Prince's Philip's dukedom to Prince Edward? I really thought it would already merge to the Crown.

For now it has merged with the Crown.

It is merged in the Crown once Charles has become king... so Charles can re create it for Edward if he wishes.

I think that if the Dukedom of Edinburgh will not be given - another Dukedom will be conferred on Edward and Sophie. Something less controversial

I don’t think it’s that controversial is it? And the Queen and Prince Philip made it clear all those years ago that they wanted Edward to have that Dukedom.

As of today, Archie and Lilibet are legally HRH Prince Archie of Sussex and HRH Princess Lilibet of Sussex. It is unknown whether they will actually use the title or follow James and Louise's precedent, but unless the King rescinds it, the title of Prince/Princess is theirs by right as children of a son of a Sovereign of the United Kingdom.

As for the Cambridge children, as of now, they are styled HRH Prince/Princess [xxx] of Cornwall and Cambridge until their father is created Prince of Wales, which is not automatic and depends on the King's pleasure.

And it looks like that, as it had been previously announced, the King's wife will use a rather unusual style of HM The Queen Consort, rather than the usual HM The Queen.

That is correct but I believe some wait for the funeral to take the new style upon them.

The dukedoms of Cornwall and Rothesay are automatic. The dukedom of Lancaster as well (for King Charles).

The title Prince of Wales needs to be conferred. And the titles of the late Prince Philip have now merged with the Crown, now the holder of said titles has become King. It is upon the King to create his youngest brother Duke of Edinburgh as a new title aside Earl of Wessex and Forfar, Viscount Severn.

maybe they are just following Queen Alexandra’s example in not allowing herself to be called “The Queen” until
HM QeII is buried. just a thought

maybe they are just following Queen Alexandra’s example in not allowing herself to be called “The Queen” until

Or not at all. I don't think people are ready for another Queen. Today as I thought about things, I just saw Charles as a bridging monarch. I will never sing God Save the King unless I am here when William becomes King.

I think that if the Dukedom of Edinburgh will not be given - another Dukedom will be conferred on Edward and Sophie. Something less controversial

I can't think of anything LESS controversial than honoring Prince Philip by making certain his son carries forward his title.

Why would it be controversial to carry out his parents' wishes? It seems far more controversial to suddenly give Edward a different dukedom instead of the one the former holder for whom it was created wished it to be recreated for, to ensure it would be passed down among his descendants (as long as there are male heirs).

Calling her 'HM The Queen Consort' seems to be consistent with the Queen's expressed personal wish in February.

Calling her 'HM The Queen Consort' seems to be consistent with the Queen's expressed personal wish in February.
I think it is just easier at this time. When someone speaks about "the Queen" it is to Elizabeth they refer and it will be so until after her interment. Obviously, that is only my take on things but it just makes sense.

I wonder if she will be commonly referred to as "Queen Camilla" though, as the TRF team decided to do in her related forums. I suspect the British press will stick with the official style and cite her as 'the Queen Consort" instead.

I wonder if she will be commonly referred to as "Queen Camilla" though, as the TRF team decided to do in her related forums. I suspect the British press will stick with the official style and cite her as 'the Queen Consort" instead.

As time passes I think she’ll be informally called Queen Camilla, although probably not “the Queen” because I think for many adults in the UK THE Queen will always be Elizabeth II.

My guess is that formally they will be known as The King and The Queen Consort and more informally as King Charles (III) and Queen Camilla.

My guess is that formally they will be known as The King and The Queen Consort and more informally as King Charles (III) and Queen Camilla.

It won't even be informal. Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother was also the Queen consort and until her husband's death and her daughter's reign, she was simply called Queen Elizabeth.

Queen Camilla is in the same position.

Mbruno said:

We have decided to use 'Queen Camilla' as it is consistent with the form we use for other monarchs and consorts in this forum. This has never been a problem before. We are well aware that at this point it seems 'Queen Consort' will be used officially.

Using the exact official form of adress of each country will lead to a multitude of forums that would only speak of 'HM the King'. This is confusing, hence the inclusion of first names for most monarchs and their spouses.

We have never used 'The Prince Consort' in the Danish forum before 2016, even though that was officially Prince Henrik's title. If in the future another title/form will be used to refer to the new Queen and that still enables us to distinguish her from the other Queen Consorts, we will strongly consider using that form.

Last edited:

I see where you are coming from. Been hearing a lot of "the Queen Consort" in the news instead of just calling her Queen Camila. I hope this will change though in the days ahead.

A quick glance at Wiki on the Duke of Edinburgh calls him Prince Phillip and describes him as the Queen's consort. Since Queen Elizabeth alluded to Philip's position, wanting the same for Prince Charles, namely Queen Camilla as Charles consort is hardly a stretch.

A quick glance at Wiki on the Duke of Edinburgh calls him Prince Phillip and describes him as the Queen's consort. Since Queen Elizabeth alluded to Philip's position, wanting the same for Prince Charles, namely Queen Camilla as Charles consort is hardly a stretch.

"Consort" is just the way that the spouses of royalty and nobility are described. Philip was The Queen's Spouse, her Consort. Letizia, Sonja, Silvia, Maxima, and Mathilde are all "Queen Consorts" but the "Consort" bit is not usually used in normal communications.

what is controversial about it?

Or not at all. I don't think people are ready for another Queen. Today as I thought about things, I just saw Charles as a bridging monarch. I will never sing God Save the King unless I am here when William becomes King.

well up to you but Charles IS the King. and Camilla is his queen consort

I know that obviously but it's weird.

why is it weird? This is an hereditary monarchy. Once the queen died, Charles became king and his wife became queen. Saying that he is an interim king or you wont sing GoD Save the King, wont change that.

Back
Top Bottom