The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Old 09-09-2022, 01:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
A quick glance at Wiki on the Duke of Edinburgh calls him Prince Phillip and describes him as the Queen's consort. Since Queen Elizabeth alluded to Philip's position, wanting the same for Prince Charles, namely Queen Camilla as Charles consort is hardly a stretch.
"Consort" is just the way that the spouses of royalty and nobility are described. Philip was The Queen's Spouse, her Consort. Letizia, Sonja, Silvia, Maxima, and Mathilde are all "Queen Consorts" but the "Consort" bit is not usually used in normal communications.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think that if the Dukedom of Edinburgh will not be given - another Dukedom will be conferred on Edward and Sophie. Something less controversial
what is controversial about it?
Old 09-09-2022, 03:31 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
Or not at all. I don't think people are ready for another Queen. Today as I thought about things, I just saw Charles as a bridging monarch. I will never sing God Save the King unless I am here when William becomes King.
well up to you but Charles IS the King. and Camilla is his queen consort
Old 09-09-2022, 03:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
well up to you but Charles IS the King. and Camilla is his queen consort
I know that obviously but it's weird.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:38 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FigTree View Post
I know that obviously but it's weird.
why is it weird? This is an hereditary monarchy. Once the queen died, Charles became king and his wife became queen. Saying that he is an interim king or you wont sing GoD Save the King, wont change that.
Old 09-09-2022, 03:48 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

A specific thread for the titles of Prince William and his family has been created, please continue discussion on their titles below:

https://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...ml#post2488658
Old 09-09-2022, 05:34 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelot23ca View Post
As time passes I think she’ll be informally called Queen Camilla, although probably not “the Queen” because I think for many adults in the UK THE Queen will always be Elizabeth II.
The press may not necessarily refer to Camilla as Queen Camilla or as The Queen Consort. Some reporters may refer to her as The Queen.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:26 AM
Royal Highness

I read somewhere that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor and her daughter Lillibet are now technically a prince and a princess due to rules set out by King George V in 1917. Is it correct?

Old 09-09-2022, 06:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
The press may not necessarily refer to Camilla as Queen Camilla or as The Queen Consort. Some reporters may refer to her as The Queen.
As a wish of late Queen Elisabeth II she will be called Queen Consort.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imanmajed View Post
I read somewhere that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor and her daughter Lillibet are now technically a prince and a princess due to rules set out by King George V in 1917. Is it correct?
Yes, adherence to the rules in the letters patent of 1917 would lead to the children of the Duke of Sussex being known as Prince Archie of Sussex and Princess Lillibet of Sussex.

They have not yet been mentioned in any communications from the Palace, so we do not know if such adherence is to be expected. It will be one of the many mysteries to be resolved for us as things advance. (The line of succession page still calls them Master Archie Mountbatten-Windsor and Miss Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor, but there don't seem to have been any changes other than a renumbering, e.g. the Duke of Cambridge is not yet also called the Duke of Cornwall.)
Old 09-09-2022, 06:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
yes. whether they will use the titles or not is anyones guess
Old 09-09-2022, 07:57 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
I see where you are coming from. Been hearing a lot of "the Queen Consort" in the news instead of just calling her Queen Camila. I hope this will change though in the days ahead.
The Royal Family themselves used 'The King and The Queen Consort' in their announcement of the late queen's death, so it makes sense that the media follows suit.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:59 AM
Imperial Majesty

They're probably workng up to Q Camilla in due course. At present, the queen means ELiz II.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Do you think a rule that people from 1st to 6th place of succesion must ask for official permission from the King to marry, will still apply?

1. William (married)
2. George (it seems rather obvious)
3. Charlotte
4. Louis
5. Harry (married)
6. Archie (who would probably live in the US)

Or does King Charles III may change it to require only direct heirs to the throne?
Old 09-09-2022, 09:03 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Succession to the Crown Act makes it very clear - the first six MUST have the permission of the monarch to marry or face the consequences - removal from the line of succession for themselves and any descendants that result from that marriage.

Charles can't change it. It would take legislation in the UK and the other realms, and in the case of Australia, the six Australian states.

If Archie is still in the top six when he wants to marry he will be clear on the requirements - either have consent or give up place in the line of succession for himself any any descendants. It isn't that hard to write a letter and ask for the monarch to say 'yes' at a Privy Council meeting.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:03 AM
Royal Highness

On the occasion of the death of Queen Elizabeth II, I did some research on the British monarchy. I read an interesting fact that I hadn't known before. Charles II lacked a legitimate heir to the throne - but almost all of his illegitimate children were officially recognized by Charles II and he bestowed on them titles of nobility. His best-known descendants today are the late Diana and Camilla, the new Queen Consort. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 09-09-2022, 09:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
As a wish of late Queen Elisabeth II she will be called Queen Consort.
Yes, I think that meant she wished Camilla to have the same title as all other wives of Kings, rather than the proposed 'Princess Consort'. The Queen's mother and grandmother were Queens Consort, known as Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary. In time, I'm sure Camilla will be referred to as Queen Camilla because that's the tradition and they'll want it to continue for the next Queen Consort ie the future Queen Catherine.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:29 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The Royal Family themselves used 'The King and The Queen Consort' in their announcement of the late queen's death, so it makes sense that the media follows suit.

I don't think it will change. "Consort" is not being used as a mere adjective. Instead "The Queen Consort" is being used as a title, in the same way as Prince Albert or Prince Henrik were "The Prince Consort". I don't expect Camilla to be ever referred officially as "The Queen" only, as the other queens consort in Europe are. I believe the practice of using the style "The Queen" will only resume when William ascends the throne.

It remains to be seen though whether she will informally called "Queen Camilla". Probably yes.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:40 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
"Consort" is just the way that the spouses of royalty and nobility are described. Philip was The Queen's Spouse, her Consort. Letizia, Sonja, Silvia, Maxima, and Mathilde are all "Queen Consorts" but the "Consort" bit is not usually used in normal communications.
Maybe in time the media will just get used to calling her Queen Camila just like the other Queen Consorts. As for now, I can only here the news saying King Charles III and the Queen Consort which is rather odd for me.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:45 AM
Majesty

Quote:
On the occasion of the death of Queen Elizabeth II, I did some research on the British monarchy. I read an interesting fact that I hadn't known before. Charles II lacked a legitimate heir to the throne - but almost all of his illegitimate children were officially recognized by Charles II and he bestowed on them titles of nobility. His best-known descendants today are the late Diana and Camilla, the new Queen Consort. Can anyone confirm this?
This wikipedia article indicates that Diana is a descendant of two illegitimate sons of Charles II, specifically: Henry Fitzroy, 1st Duke of Grafton and Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond.

So, William is expected to be the first British monarch descending from Charles II.

Camilla is also a descendant of Charles II by Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond (see this short biography).

Note that also the former Duchess of York, born Sarah Ferguson, is also a descendant of Charles II (so that's something that Beatrice and Eugenie have in common with their cousins William and Harry) - again by Charles Lennox, 1st Duke of Richmond but also by (Charles II eldest son) James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth.

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles