The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-13-2021, 04:58 PM
Nobility

Did we ever establish that the decision to refer to Harry and Meghan as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex was a "mistake?" (This is an honest question.)

As far as I know, it was announced that they would be referred to that way, and many people pointed out that they "could not" be referred to this way because that was the correct (style? manner of referring to?) a woman divorced from The Duke of Sussex. Of course, that is quite correct.

But as far as I know, just because that is the way a divorced Duchess of Sussex would be referred to, this is no reason it could not also refer to this particular situation, which is unprecedented. Now, it may not be the most sensitive thing to do- referring to Meghan the same way she would be referred to if she were divorced from Harry, and Harry the way he would be if in some world the title belonged to his wife and he divorced her- but that is not grounds for saying it was wrong or a mistake. Just perhaps that it should be reconsidered and something more sensitive thought of. Unless, of course, there was some acknowledgement that a mistake had been made.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:15 PM
Serene Highness

Isn't she Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex? Wasn't that what they (the palace) came up with?

Hence the annoying way journalists (& not just them) confuse "The" & "the" when writing about the couple.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:16 PM
Aristocracy

Bear in mind the situation at the time of the Wessex marriage. In 1999, William and Harry were just coming of age, with Beatrice and Eugenie right behind them. Four HRH grandchildren. Edward and Sophie were destined to work at paying jobs, and there was no immediate (or otherwise) plan for them to join The Firm. So by the same reckoning neither would their children.
And there was an underlying movement to "slim down" the monarchy. So it made sense that the children not be styled in a way that would imply they would be working royals. Fast forward 10 years. Beatrice and Eugenie are told to get "real jobs", that they are no longer needed. Then another 10 years. Andrew is benched and Harry and Meghan are making a fast exit from The Firm. It wouldn't surprise me if at least one of the Wessex children is being considered to take on some royal work. Louise has accompanied her mother on the occasional engagement and seems to enjoy it. (I don't know if James has or not.) If this happens, I can see Lady Louise transforming into HRH Princess Louise and fulfilling her duties with aplomb. JMO
Old 01-13-2021, 05:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post
Did we ever establish that the decision to refer to Harry and Meghan as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex was a "mistake?" (This is an honest question.)

As far as I know, it was announced that they would be referred to that way, and many people pointed out that they "could not" be referred to this way because that was the correct (style? manner of referring to?) a woman divorced from The Duke of Sussex. Of course, that is quite correct.

But as far as I know, just because that is the way a divorced Duchess of Sussex would be referred to, this is no reason it could not also refer to this particular situation, which is unprecedented. Now, it may not be the most sensitive thing to do- referring to Meghan the same way she would be referred to if she were divorced from Harry, and Harry the way he would be if in some world the title belonged to his wife and he divorced her- but that is not grounds for saying it was wrong or a mistake. Just perhaps that it should be reconsidered and something more sensitive thought of. Unless, of course, there was some acknowledgement that a mistake had been made.
There was somewhat of an acknowledgement of a mistake. Buckingham Palace apparently told Sky News that it "believe[d] that was said erroneously", which is slightly more equivocating than if they had simply stated that it was erroneous.

https://news.sky.com/story/royal-rev...woman-11913741

However, in the event that the Palace reconsidered after being surprised by accusations of insensitivity, it is doubtful that they would acknowledge that openly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
Isn't she Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex? Wasn't that what they (the palace) came up with?

Hence the annoying way journalists (& not just them) confuse "The" & "the" when writing about the couple.
The Palace now refers to her as The Duchess of Sussex.

https://www.royal.uk/duchess-sussex

She herself has at times used Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex commercially.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGoalHighDreams View Post

Good point. I think that the staff at BP were probably snowed under with work at that particular time and if that way of referring to Meghan etc was wrong by the usual standards.. it is due to pressure of work. ANd since it was an unprecedented situation there may not have been great clarity on how the couple should be referred to, when they were n ot allowed to use their HRH...
Old 01-13-2021, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

IF there is no clarity the easy option is NOT to answer the question until you know what it is (going to be) - or tell that it 'hasn't been decided yet'. Blaming 'it was so busy and unprecedented' is not a convincing argument that BP never makes mistakes; implying that we should trust 100% whatever they say answering any other question.
Old 01-13-2021, 06:18 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
IF there is no clarity the easy option is NOT to answer the question until you know what it is (going to be) - or tell that it 'hasn't been decided yet'. Blaming 'it was so busy and unprecedented' is not a convincing argument that BP never makes mistakes; implying that we should trust 100% whatever they say answering any other question.
Im sure they were under pressure from the Press who were agog with excitement over the issue of Harry and Meghan leaving and I'm sure they were getting questions from the public as well...
Not answering questions right then was not an option and its quite possible they made a mistake in their haste. However for someone on the BP staff writing a reply to a written enquiry on an issue that had been decided years before, and getting it wrong seems much more unlikely to me. Of course people in offices make mistakes at times.. but I think it is much more likely that staff might make a mistake at a time of crisis, when they had been working very hard, and been chased up by the Press about the Harry issue....than someone writing a reply to a routine question, at a time of no particular crisis....
Old 01-13-2021, 09:53 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
If this happens, I can see Lady Louise transforming into HRH Princess Louise and fulfilling her duties with aplomb. JMO
I very much doubt that Louise would be asked to step up when there are two ladies who have been princesses since birth ahead of her in the line of succession.

It is clear that Beatrice and Eugenie aren't going to be asked having already been told they are not wanted or needed. If the 9th and 10th in the line of succession aren't wanted or needed why would the current 13th who will be 14th very soon?

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles