The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-04-2020, 07:35 AM
Courtier

So "Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex" is in fact wrong then. Which was my original query. Now we know for certain. Thank you Tatiana Maria.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
So "Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex" is in fact wrong then. Which was my original query. Now we know for certain. Thank you Tatiana Maria.
Yes but from all possible wrongs this is a small wrongdoing.
It is much better than Duchess Meghan Markle anyway.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes but from all possible wrongs this is a small wrongdoing.
It is much better than Duchess Meghan Markle anyway.
Well yes I agree with you on that. I've never come across "Duchess Meghan Markle". Now that really is weird. Almost Yoda like.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:26 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I'm not sure about that. Apparently, "Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex" was used for the credits of a Disney film, not an official document, and I would guess that it was approved by the Duchess's agents, who may have asked for her first name to be included to improve recognition, especially for foreign audiences.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post

However, it was announced on the couple's website that they would "formally" remain known as HRH The Duke of Sussex and HRH The Duchess of Sussex.

And indeed, the official website of Buckingham Palace continues to address the Duchess of Sussex as Her Royal Highness.

So these two are actually the only proper, verified, information from the palace and the Sussexes spokes people. Everything else is sources, and frankly hearsay.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
So these two are actually the only proper, verified, information from the palace and the Sussexes spokes people. Everything else is sources, and frankly hearsay.
Proper, verified sources, including Buckingham Palace and the British government, often brief reporters without posting the information on their websites.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:08 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Proper, verified sources, including Buckingham Palace and the British government, often brief reporters without posting the information on their websites.

Do they? Because Palace sources, doesn’t mean squat to me. Unless it comes from The Royal Family in the form of a tweet, an announcement on the website, a placard in front of Buckingham Palace you get my drift. It’s not proper or verified.

If a reporter knows the information came from Buckingham Palace, then they can state that when they write their information. No need for Palace sources....
Old 04-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Do they? Because Palace sources, doesn’t mean squat to me. Unless it comes from The Royal Family in the form of a tweet, an announcement on the website, a placard in front of Buckingham Palace you get my drift. It’s not proper or verified.

If a reporter knows the information came from Buckingham Palace, then they can state that when they write their information. No need for Palace sources....
To me it is clear that Buckingham Palace communicated the information to reporters (the Rhiannon Mills article cites it by name), and does not consider it improper to communicate through such channels (or they would not do it habitually). But everyone is free to form their own judgment as to what is proper and verified, which is why I posted the links.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

When Harry registered the Travelix (?) webpage, he did not use his HRH but, as agreed, only his title. Which seems to be "Prince Henry Charles Albert David, duke of Sussex". That's correct, he is a prince of the Uk and Duke of Sussex.

What interests me is: how is the correct title of Meghan without the HRH? She, as his wife, shares his titles. So is she now "Princess Henry Charles Albert David, duchess of Sussex"? Or "Princess Henry, Rachel Meghan, duchess of Sussex"? Or just "Princess Henry, duchess of Sussex?" Or just Meghan, duchess of Sussex without the princely title?
Old 04-15-2020, 05:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
When Harry registered the Travelix (?) webpage, he did not use his HRH but, as agreed, only his title. Which seems to be "Prince Henry Charles Albert David, duke of Sussex". That's correct, he is a prince of the Uk and Duke of Sussex.

What interests me is: how is the correct title of Meghan without the HRH? She, as his wife, shares his titles. So is she now "Princess Henry Charles Albert David, duchess of Sussex"? Or "Princess Henry, Rachel Meghan, duchess of Sussex"? Or just "Princess Henry, duchess of Sussex?" Or just Meghan, duchess of Sussex without the princely title?
She is Princess Henry, Duchess of Sussex...
Old 04-15-2020, 05:21 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
She is Princess Henry, Duchess of Sussex...
I thought she is HRH The Duchess of Sussex, Princess Henry
Old 04-15-2020, 05:31 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I thought she is HRH The Duchess of Sussex, Princess Henry
But she's not allowed to use the HRH in business. I don't know if she can still use it in private life.. but for her official working life, she can't. And she's always Princess Henry.. but since she has the title of Duchess of Sussex that's what she's known by. Prince Michael of Kent did not get a dukedom, so his wife is known as Princess Michael.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:54 AM
Majesty

Quote:
But she's not allowed to use the HRH in business. I don't know if she can still use it in private life.. but for her official working life, she can't. And she's always Princess Henry.. but since she has the title of Duchess of Sussex that's what she's known by. Prince Michael of Kent did not get a dukedom, so his wife is known as Princess Michael.
If she really does not want to use royal titles, its Meghan Sussex as I see it.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:27 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
that's stil using a royal title. if she doesn't want to use her titles, she can be known as Meghan Markle or Meghan M Windsor..
Old 04-15-2020, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post

If we go by other official documents (for example the birth certificate of George for Catherine); hers would be 'Rachel Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex'.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:49 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
If we go by other official documents (for example for Catherine); hers would be 'Rachel Meghan, Duchess of Sussex'.
I thought that was the style for divorced wives... for a married wife.. it is HRH The Duchess of Sussex...
Old 04-15-2020, 08:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Sussex is her title; if she would not be using any title at all, she would be Rachel Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor (assuming she took her husband's surname and not kept her own).
Old 04-15-2020, 08:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I thought that was the style for divorced wives... for a married wife.. it is HRH The Duchess of Sussex...
The question was about what to use for business purposes; so when she is NOT allowed to use HRH. Of course, she is formally The Duchess of Sussex but if she would need to include her full name (so including first names); that would surely include 'Rachel Meghan', however, you might be right, that she would write it down as 'Rachel Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex'. My main point however was that she would not include the princess Henry-stuff in that case.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
The question was about what to use for business purposes; so when she is NOT allowed to use HRH. Of course, she is formally The Duchess of Sussex but if she would need to include her full name (so including first names); that would surely include 'Rachel Meghan', however, you might be right, that she would write it down as 'Rachel Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex'. My main point however was that she would not include the princess Henry-stuff in that case.
No I doubt if she would be likely to call herself Princess Henry. but I thought that a month or 2 ago, the palace said that they would be known as Harry Duke of Suss and Meghan Duchess of S for business purposes.. but then had to backtrack becuase it was pointed out that using Megan D of S, was the form for a divorced wife. Like Diana Princess of Wales as opposed to The Princess of wales.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:39 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Denville's argument is that as a married peeress she should not use her given name(s) at all. But in legal documents, it is correct form for peers and peeresses (no matter if they are royal or non-royal) to include their given names or even their surnames. As Somebody posted, the birth certificates for the children of the Duke of Cambridge (and for Archie Mountbatten-Windsor) showed the given names (e.g. William Arthur Philip Louis) of both parents, though not their surnames.

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles