The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-10-2019, 09:03 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
James' children will be Mountbatten-Windsor and if he has a son then the name will continue.

George's line will also pass it down via a second son as will Louis' and Archie's via any sons.

Daughter's will have it as a maiden name - as Louise does today - but give it up on marriage.
You're right, I was forgetting about second+ sons.

Still, there's been a lot of chatter about the Mountbatten-Windsor name being one that barely gets used to this point. It must feel nice to Philip to see one of his grandkids proudly presented to the world with it front and center.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

There's no doubt that Andrew is frustrated that his daughters are not being allowed to be full working royals and I do believe that it's because Charles wants to restrict the working royals to those in the main line to the throne. It would make no sense at all for Harry's children to be HRH's in the future just to end up like Beatrice and Eugenie, floating around as a prince or princess with no real role within the family.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM
Courtier

Charles is not yet king so the decision likely has little to do with him. I believe Beatrice and Eugenie aren't working royals because 1) their parents tainted their reputations so much that their daughters taking on larger roles isn't seen as an asset and 2) there simply is no need for them to be working royals right now. Maybe that will change when some of the older working royals have retired.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbigail View Post
Charles is not yet king so the decision likely has little to do with him.
I am not sure I quite agree with you. IMO, the Queen would have consulted with Charles, and possibly William, before taking a final view on the matter, as the decision would have implications through Charles and William's reigns.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
I am not sure I quite agree with you. IMO, the Queen would have consulted with Charles, and possibly William, before taking a final view on the matter, as the decision would have implications through Charles and William's reigns.
I think so to. I think the Queen does allow Charles a say in certain things regarding the future of the monarchy.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I think so to. I think the Queen does allow Charles a say in certain things regarding the future of the monarchy.
Yes, there is every indication that she's allowed him an advisory role for quite a while. She's visibly included him to an increasing degree in formal events (for instance, after decades of delivering the address to Parliament with only Philip by her side, she's had Charles accompany her for the past several years) and for any one thing we see in public there are probably countless related measures happening behind closed doors.

It makes sense; it's partly preparation for his time as king, partly to ensure a smooth transition after her time is gone. Anytime a member of the BRF is asked to talk about the Queen they, to a person, emphasize her strong sense of duty. Involving the son who will succeed her in decisions like that one is surely a key part of carrying out her duty to prevent a turbulent transition from her time to Charles'.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:07 PM
Courtier

Quote:
She may have very well consulted Charles but I don't think we can say this was his decision. We don't even know if indeed he wants to make any changes to the number of working royals. This is something that's just been assumed prematurely, imo.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Thank

Yes, but most of the courtesy peers who do not use their titles in everyday life use them nevertheless for formal communications. Use of the designation from their courtesy title as their informal last name suggests that they do use the full title when appropriate. For instance, until he inherited his father's peerages, Buckingham Palace consistently referred to Princess Margaret's son by the courtesy title of Viscount Linley, even though he used David Linley as his professional name (his legal last name being Armstrong-Jones).
Precisley.. I don't know what Meg and Harry seem to be doing..
Old 05-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Charles is not yet king so the decision likely has little to do with him.
Quote:
She may have very well consulted Charles but I don't think we can say this was his decision.
Slightly different messages in you first and second posts on this topic.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
For all we know and its a remote possibility, the plans for a soft transition into Charles' reign could have been idealized back when they had the now defunct Way Ahead group. We just don't know and probably won't have a lot of answers until the time comes.

Its going on 11 years since I was corrected quite a few times (thankfully) that it was said that Charles is the Defender of Faith (he'll actually be Defender of *the* Faith but there was a rumor going around that Charles wishes to change this. Its been a subsidiary title of the monarch since 1521.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:28 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Slightly different messages in you first and second posts on this topic.
It doesn't matter, lol. The point remains the same. Charles is not king, it's ultimately not his decision and since we don't really know his thoughts, we can't put this on him.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
For all we know and its a remote possibility, the plans for a soft transition into Charles' reign could have been idealized back when they had the now defunct Way Ahead group. We just don't know and probably won't have a lot of answers until the time comes.
I have no doubt the issue would have been discussed between some of the family in the 1990s, when a lot of the "re-engineering" of The Firm took place. The Way Ahead Group was certainly of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Its going on 11 years since I was corrected quite a few times (thankfully) that it was said that Charles is the Defender of Faith (he'll actually be Defender of *the* Faith but there was a rumor going around that Charles wishes to change this. Its been a subsidiary title of the monarch since 1521.
I do remember the debate in last decade in the Press about whether Charles would be "Defender of Faith" as opposed to "Defender of the Faith". The issue fell away when somebody pointed out that the latter title would require disestablishment of the Church of England. So I am not sure if it was ever one of Charles' ideas, or something thought up by journalists.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:50 PM
Majesty

'Defender of the Faith' is one of the titles given by parliament. Remember the 'faith' in this case is the established church. It's not up to Charles to decide.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
She may have very well consulted Charles but I don't think we can say this was his decision. We don't even know if indeed he wants to make any changes to the number of working royals. This is something that's just been assumed prematurely, imo.
No we don't know precisely what he'd like the future monarchy to look like but he provided a very strong indication at the diamond jubilee when the balcony appearance was just his immediate family. None of his siblings or their families were included (much to their annoyance it was reported). He might have softened a bit since then of course, having realised that his sister in particular is a huge asset to the BRF. I think since 2012, Charles has a great deal of influence over decisions made that will impact on his reign eg who will be HRH and/or working royals.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:16 PM
Courtier

Did the Royal Family explain why Prince Edward was created an Earl instead of a Duke, thereby not making his children HRHs?

At what age can Louise and James reclaim their HRHs? At 18 maybe?

I've noticed in official communication that Louise is styled as Lady Louise Windsor (not Mountbatten-Windsor). When did they officially drop the Mountbatten?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Did the Royal Family explain why Prince Edward was created an Earl instead of a Duke, thereby not making his children HRHs?

At what age can Louise and James reclaim their HRHs? At 18 maybe?

I've noticed in official communication that Louise is styled as Lady Louise Windsor (not Mountbatten-Windsor). When did they officially drop the Mountbatten?
I understood that this was the wish of Edward and Sophie, who were not working royals at the time of their marriage. but their children are so far down the succession that its unlikely they would ever be "used" as workign royals. So as far as I know they wont be "reclaiming" their HRH's. In due course Ed wil become Duke of Edinburgh and James will inherit that title
Old 05-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Majesty

We have to remember no one has a 'right' to royal styles and titles. They are granted at the sovereigns pleasure and can be granted, revoked or altered at anytime.

The LP of 1917 are just an expression of the sovereigns pleasure. The Queen isn't bound by them.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
We have to remember no one has a 'right' to royal styles and titles. They are granted at the sovereigns pleasure and can be granted, revoked or altered at anytime.

The LP of 1917 are just an expression of the sovereigns pleasure. The Queen isn't bound by them.
the queen can take away an HRH, but not as far as I know a peerage. Once she gives a peerage it is subject ot the normal rules of inheritance. Ie it can only be inherited by a male heir (unless it was granted with the understanding that it would go to a female heir like Lord Mountbattne's). She could not change the law that says that Philip's peerage will descend to his eldest son, Charles.. and give it to Edward
Old 05-10-2019, 01:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
the queen can take away an HRH, but not as far as I know a peerage. Once she gives a peerage it is subject ot the normal rules of inheritance. Ie it can only be inherited by a male heir (unless it was granted with the understanding that it would go to a female heir like Lord Mountbattne's). She could not change the law that says that Philip's peerage will descend to his eldest son, Charles.. and give it to Edward

It has been speculated that Edward will inherit his father's dukedom? So Charles is the one to make that decision?
Old 05-10-2019, 01:53 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
I has been speculated that Edward will inherit his father's dukedom? So Charles is the one to make that decision?
More than speculated, as far as I know.. It was announced that it was the queen's wish that Edward would become Duke of Edinburgh. he can't directly inherit.. because the queen can't change the rules for a peerage. Charles will have to create Edward Duke of Ed when he is king...

Tags
british royal family, consort, duke of york, kate, princess beatrice, queenmother, spouse, styles and titles, titles uk styles