Queen Mother Memorial Opening, The Mall, London: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalProtocol

Courtier , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Belfast
Country
United Kingdom
It has been announced by Buckingham Palace that Her Majesty The Queen accompanied by HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh will unveil the new memorial to Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother on Tuesday,February 24th 2009 in the Mall, London SW1

Nearer the time please psot any photographs of the unveiling ceremony or the memorial or links to stories etc. regarding the Memorial.

February 22

The tribute will include a bronze statue of the royal matriarch in Order of the Garter robes and will stand beneath a sculpture of her late husband King George VI, off The Mall in central London.

Details of £2 million memorial to Queen Mother unveiled - Telegraph

The Prince of Wales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Prince William and Prince Harry will attend the unveiling of the Memorial to Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother in The Mall, London.

The Prince of Wales - Tuesday 24th February 2009

Last edited:
The following members of the Royal Family will be present at the Memorial Unveiling

Her Majesty The Queen
His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
Their Royal Highnesses The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall
His Royal Highness Prince William of Wales
His Royal Highness Prince Harry of Wales
Their Royal Highnesses The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal
Their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
His Royal Highness The Duke of Kent

There has been no confirmation of attendance by The Duke of York or his daughters or by Princess Alexandra.

I am sure that others too will attend: Lord and Lady Linley, Mr. Daniel and The Lady Sarah Chatto, The Gloucester or Kent families, The Earl and Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne, The Queen Mother's Scottish Family etc.

The Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, Dame Frances Campbell-Preston, The Hon. Mrs. Rhodes etc. as the Former Household-in-Waiting.

Members of The Government and representatives of regiments etc. with which Her Late Majesty was connected.

From Skydragon's Mail Online link:

"Cast in bronze, her ever-present smile shines through with a warm glow."

Hmmm... after that eternally warmly-glowing bronze, good luck to any biographer who is brave enough to try and penetrate the layers of chiffon and ostrich feathers for an accurate portrayal of her character. :rolleyes:

I think that it's quite appropriate that the Queen Mother be remembered for the role that she played as Queen Consort. Regardless of her nasty side, which is often hinted at, she did show the courageous face of Britain during WWII. Many people had their "finest hour" during that time, and the QM was no exception.

Don't worry, Warren. A nice statute doesn't preclude a tell-all biography.;)

From Skydragon's Mail Online link:

"Cast in bronze, her ever-present smile shines through with a warm glow."

Hmmm... after that eternally warmly-glowing bronze, good luck to any biographer who is brave enough to try and penetrate the layers of chiffon and ostrich feathers for an accurate portrayal of her character. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
According to Buckingham Palace the memorial will be unveiled at 12 noon, you can view it from St James's Park side of the Mall and are advised to arrive early.

Latest News and Diary

The ceremony will also be shown by BBC News 24 and by SkyNews live

The loveliest outfit the Queen has I think. The colour, the trim, the fit, the fur...simply devine!

So classy are the black gloves! Such a fashionista without even really paying attention to trends, as we, the general public, know them. HM truly is timeless!

HM looks great in this outfit ! and all the members of the royal family looks great specialy tha DOC and COW !

HM's hat looked terrible, all that fur! :eek:
Sophie, the hat was so awful.
Camilla, blue dress and hat, wonderful, spoiled by the black jacket.
Harry's tiny tach. :ermm:
The gents, not bad, weather OK :D QEQMs memorial - Brilliant!:D

BBC Video Link

Agree with Sky, Camilla's outfit was spoilt by the cape / shawl thingie. Nice new diamond and pearl earrings, not sure I have seen these earlier. I thought Sophe's dress was very smart, but the hat was just wierd. Beatrice did not look great, but that is no surprise!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to post this because if the memorial wasn't today, I went to the wrong event or I have been abducted by aliens! :D ------

The national memorial to the Queen Mother, which was unveiled by the Queen yesterday in the presence of three generations of the Royal Family, depicts her at 51 which was her age when her husband died.

National monument to the Queen Mother unveiled by the Queen - Telegraph

wish all you want!:D

Funny that an almost 83 year old lady continues to embarrass other people in terms of how to dress at an event:
QE II - every inch an icon

Mrs Brown - as dull as her husband
Camilla - suitable dress but spoilt by the black cape & stockings
Sophie - partly elegant, partly odd, as ususal
Eugenie & Beatrice - style will always remain a mystery to them. they look cheap in their short skirts.

It was nice to see the British royal family undertaking an official engagement. I wonder why Duchess of Cornwall and Countess of Wessex were dressed in light clothes, when it was obviously cold outside.

I wonder why Duchess of Cornwall and Countess of Wessex were dressed in light clothes, when it was obviously cold outside.

Funnily, it was not a cold in London at all today!

me too i had laugj when i read the title :lol:
but i think thats true , i like the outfit of queen today i think its a nice choice for such event , we can see that this style is from the 40's and this style was the queen mothers style , also she choose a hat a little bit simeller of the queen's mother famous hats .
an other remarque , the queen is wearing the queen mother brooch !
then i have a small opinion about Culture Secretary Andy Burnham's wife :i you have a terrible teste !!:eek:

Thanks for the photos, everyone! I think HM looks fantastic. And I actually like Sophie's outift and think it's very flattering for her. I don't think the York girls look too bad. In one photo I think Pss B bears a striking resemblence to a young Pss Anne. The men all look standard and the same. P Harry looks like he's put on some weight. Lady Helen is starting to really look like her mother! Who's Lady Paola? The Duchess of G is remarkably beautiful and youthful-looking!! It's a shame Pss Margaret's children don't resemble her. And the biggest question: Where's Prince Andrew?

Lady Paola Windsor is married to Lord Nicholas Windsor, the Duke and Duchess of Kent's younger son. In the picture here, she could have just stepped out of the 1920s!

I like Sophie's outfit as well, though I don't care for those "saucer" hats.;)

I thought that Princess Eugenie's outfit was nicer than Princess Beatrice's.

I also think that the Duchess of Gloucester looks simply amazing. The Duchess of Kent doesn't look well at all, unfortunately.:ermm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why Duchess of Cornwall and Countess of Wessex were dressed in light clothes, when it was obviously cold outside.
No, it was not very cold, although I had a light jacket on.

Thanks for the information! :flowers:It looked strange to me ... men in coats, Her Majesty in a winter outfit, other ladies in coats vs Countess of Wessex in a caplet and Duchess of Cornwall in a dress spoilt by a shawl.

http://i44.tinypic.com/dny893.jpg
Lady Helen wore the coat, which I liked a lot. She wore it in November, 2007 attending a service of thanksgiving at Westminster Abbey to celebrate the Queen and Prince Philip's Diamond Wedding Anniversary.

The above picture is courtesy of iceflower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom