Queen Mother Memorial Opening, The Mall, London: February 24, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Gloucester is so elegant - she really knows how to dress to suit the occassion

The Queen's outfit isnt new she has worn it quite a few times but it isnt one of my favourites - love the touch of wearing that brooch in tribute to the Queen Mum and it is one of the most beautiful ones she could have choosen

Not a fan of the statue as i dont think it looks like her very much but those type of things never really do look that great

Great to see so many of the royals turing out

Thanks for the information! :flowers:It looked strange to me ... men in coats, Her Majesty in a winter outfit, other ladies in coats vs Countess of Wessex in a caplet and Duchess of Cornwall in a dress spoilt by a shawl.
You might have been shocked to see some young women in sleeveless tops, now they made me feel cold! :D My jacket was a lightweight wool, perhaps Camilla and Sophie also wore wool.:flowers:

Thanks for the photos, everyone! I think HM looks fantastic. And I actually like Sophie's outift and think it's very flattering for her. I don't think the York girls look too bad. In one photo I think Pss B bears a striking resemblence to a young Pss Anne. The men all look standard and the same. P Harry looks like he's put on some weight. Lady Helen is starting to really look like her mother! Who's Lady Paola? The Duchess of G is remarkably beautiful and youthful-looking!! It's a shame Pss Margaret's children don't resemble her. And the biggest question: Where's Prince Andrew?

The WENN Photo Libary has one picture (#37) showing him next to Princess Eugenie. There is also one pic of Princess Anne The Princess Royal. Like her hat :flowers:

With so many Royals around the press probably focused on the more interesting :whistling: members.

The WENN Photo Libary has one picture (#37) showing him next to Princess Eugenie. There is also one pic of Princess Anne The Princess Royal. Like her hat :flowers:

With so many Royals around the press probably focused on the more interesting :whistling: members.

Thanks Avicenna. Tho interesting is in the eye of the beholder :wub:

Lady Paola Windsor is married to Lord Nicholas Windsor, the Duke and Duchess of Kent's younger son. In the picture here, she could have just stepped out of the 1920s!

The Duchess of Kent doesn't look well at all, unfortunately.:ermm:

She's not Lady Paola Windsor, but Lady Nicholas Windsor, in British nobility woman take their husband's titles. ( eg Princess Michael of Kent) She would only be Lady Paola if her father were a Duke ( eg Lady Helen Taylor) an Earl ( eg Lady Sarah Chatto) or a Marquess. In the picture you can see the back of her sister-in-law Countess of St Andrews who is married to the Duke of Kent's oldest son, she's an academic at Cambridge.

I'm quite surprised to see the Duchess of Kent as this is the second major royal event she's attended in the past year, the other being last June's Trooping of the Colour. Unfortunately she suffers from a condition that makes her face droop and that then makes it appear she's not well. But in the last few years she's given a number of interviews as she's heavily involved in supporting a foundation for young musicans. She's retired from royal duties but not from her passion for music.

( I have to say that i´m a little jealous of Skydragon who could be there and watch the ceremony live...:D:whistling:)
Sorry. :flowers::D The thing that slightly irks me, is magnificent as it is, why was it deemed necessary to make it so much lower than her husband, a couple of feet would have been enough!:ermm: (Women's rights, equality and all that)!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I choose to see Princess Beatrice & Eugenie's fashion style(s) as " a work in progress " ... they're both still very young ;)

Let's just hope that their fashion sense as well as taste will become more refined & sophisticated as they mature :flowers:

* What on earth were Camilla & Princess Sophie wearing?!! the Fashion Police should have them arrested * :p

Sorry. :flowers::D The thing that slightly irks me, is magnificent as it is, why was it deemed necessary to make it so much lower than her husband, a couple of feet would have been enough!:ermm: (Women's rights, equality and all that)!:D

I was wondering the same thing! :) , her statue should be directly beside King George VI's one :glare:

My favorite outfits: Sophie (very chic and flattering IMO; even the hat which I think goes well with the retro feel of the outfit), Queen, Paola and Helen

Worst: Bea and Eugenie! they throw on all the latest fads regardless of whether it suits them, the rest of the outfit or the occassion. Those heels with a short skirt for a memorial unveiling?!

Camilla: she should have just worn a coat rather than that droopy shawl.

Could it have been that there were displays around George VI's statue that shouldn't be moved or destroyed? If she had been put at the same height in front of him, he would have disappeared.:D

I was wondering the same thing! :) , her statue should be directly beside King George VI's one :glare:

I don't think the statue looked like the Queen Mum at all. And what was the deal with the feathers being so perky?

Hated Sophie's hat again, wish she'd buy a new one. And Beatrice looked mismatched. Her jacket was very odd with ruffles around the top of the arms and then some odd patchwork on the sides and pockets on her breasts. All that amplification isn't good for a woman who isn't small (I know I can't get away with pockets on my chest!).

And where was Zara? I can understand Peter being gone since he's living on the other side of the world, but where's the other one?

Doesn't the Queen look fabulous? And at 82 - I love the brooch.

Camilla - looks like she added the black shawl at the last minute as it seemed chilly.
The Queen puts her to shame.

Princess Anne - looked very good - new hat?

Sophie - trying too hard. The capelet (jacket?), please save that for Ascot. How does she move her arms? And the flying saucer hats are getting really old - time for a new hat style.

Eugenie looks so much better than her sister. Beatrice looks awful - another juvenile dress with a mismatched jacket combo with a hat slapped onto her ungroomed hair-do.
Sisters: Killer stilettos do not atone for bad outfits.

The Duchess of Gloucester - Perfection. I don't care if I have seen her outfit a million times, she always looks good.

Sarah Chatto - I love her style and her choice of outfit - she's got real style.

Helen Taylor - looks very appropriate.

Wife of the Conservative politician - You are not Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and you are going to meet the Queen. You are going to an official event and not a garden party at the Palace. Grow up, dress correctly and don't embarass your husband again.

I think the memorial is quite suitable!
Thanks for all of the pictures!:flowers:

Wife of the Conservative politician - You are not Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm and you are going to meet the Queen. You are going to an official event and not a garden party at the Palace. Grow up, dress correctly and don't embarass your husband again.
It was the wife of the Labour culture secretary, which just goes to show the standard of culture in the UK.:whistling:

Hi,

Did The Queen actually have to go over and greet this poor distastefully dressed horror? :nonono:
Can you imagine what she would be thinking, although she, of course, could never and would never remark on that outfit. :whistling:

Bet her and Philip had a good laugh back at the Palace over lunch...

Larry

I have the feeling that Queen Elisabeth II was very satisfied by the result.The statue is really impressive,in my opinion.And yes,many ladies were not dressed appropriately for the occasion.But let's discuss these things at the fashion threads.

HM, the Duchess of Cornwall and Eugenie looked fabulous. the statue....a big disappointment. i agree...something resembling what she looked liked towards the end of her life would have been better.

I like the idea somehow of showing her as Queen Elizabeth before she became Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. She was in her prime then as the King's consort.

For those of us who are too young to remember the Blitz and the early 50s, it's good to have a statue of her as Queen Elizabeth; it's a reminder of who she was before her husband died. :flowers:

HM, the Duchess of Cornwall and Eugenie looked fabulous. the statue....a big disappointment. i agree...something resembling what she looked liked towards the end of her life would have been better.

The Queen - even at her advanced age - always puts the young ones to shame fashion-wise. She never disappoints - and in the last few years has shown even better choices of fashion. Her fashion advisor and dresser - I believe her name is Angela Kelley - has really helped the Queen. Their joint collaboration has given the Queen's wardrobe a breath of fresh air and I eagerly anticipate each new outfit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom