Princess Margaret and the Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westfield Bakery

Aristocracy
City
Westfield, New Jersey
Country
United States
Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon was obviously close to her sister, The Queen (Lilibet), her mother, The Queen Mother, and her children, David and Sarah Linley.

She was close to her brother-in-law, the Duke of Edinburgh who walked her down the aisle.

However, I wonder how she got along with her nieces and nephews?

I know she adored Charles, her eldest nephew, her Heavenly Nephew.

I wonder if she and William and Harry got along after she trashed their mom, Diana after that 1995 TV interview.

I know she did not even want to attend the funeral.

I wonder how she got along with the Yorks, since she was born a York.

Princess Margaret's relationship with her mother was variable. They clashed over many things.

What would being born under one creation of a dukedom have to do with getting along with members of a subsequent creation?

(I cannot imagine she was fond of Sarah Ferguson.)

Princess Margaret's relationship with her mother was variable. They clashed over many things.

What would being born under one creation of a dukedom have to do with getting along with members of a subsequent creation?

(I cannot imagine she was fond of Sarah Ferguson.)

Because they are your heirs. Margaret York had to witness her nephew Andrew turn into a York, and she must have felt that Sarah was not suitable to hold the title that her mother had.

Oh yea, I don't think she was fond of Sarah. Nor Eugenie or Beatrice, they have the same name Margaret had until she was 10.

Because they are your heirs. Margaret York had to witness her nephew Andrew turn into a York, and she must have felt that Sarah was not suitable to hold the title that her mother had.

Oh yea, I don't think she was fond of Sarah. Nor Eugenie or Beatrice, they have the same name Margaret had until she was 10.

I base this on absolutely no facts at all but after everything I have read about Margaret I have a feeling any incomer i.e commoner marrying in, would have to prove themselves worthy.

Knowing very little of what their personal relationship was, the video of the 90th Birthday celebrations had William and Harry watching Eugenie’s baptism. Two things stand out. Harry saying: look there’s mummy. William saying: There’s Aunt Margot, putting on a voice and saying ‘keep me away from the children.’ They both laughed. So I would say that as a family unit they were funny and involved. Margaret was close with Diana for many years until all the panorama bit.

True but I think that when Margo fell out with someone they stayed out, unless she changed her mind. She was fond of Diana, but they had rows, over a butler and also, I think over Diana's talking ot the press and then although they were neighbours at KP, Diana was not invited into Margo's flat again.
I dont know however of any evidence that she adored Charles.

They aren't. Her 'heirs' are her children of whom her eldest son inherited his father's title (which happened after her death). Margaret was only 6 years old when her father became king and she was no longer 'of York'.

They aren't. Her 'heirs' are her children of whom her eldest son inherited his father's title (which happened after her death). Margaret was only 6 years old when her father became king and she was no longer 'of York'.

True, I dont see how the current York family could be Marg's heirs. I dont know if she was ever friendly with Sarah or the nieces. She has never struck me as the sort of adult who loves to play with kids.

True, I dont see how the current York family could be Marg's heirs. I dont know if she was ever friendly with Sarah or the nieces. She has never struck me as the sort of adult who loves to play with kids.

Hence ‘Keep me away from the child.’ There is evidence in books that she took a fierce interest in at least Princess Anne’s education. And she herself was an extremely responsive parent with her children making sure they went to the schools that suited them.

Hence ‘Keep me away from the child.’ There is evidence in books that she took a fierce interest in at least Princess Anne’s education. And she herself was an extremely responsive parent with her children making sure they went to the schools that suited them.
Even if she didn't play with her young relatives it's obvious from different royal documentaries how fond of Margo most of her relatives were. She was by most accounts a complicated person (though aren't we all), but one who would have gone through fire to protect her family.
I myself hate playing games with my nieces and nephews, but they seem to be fond of me anyway. Children need adults to talk to, read them books, explain the news on TV etc... and I can see Margo playing that part as well.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if this counts to this thread, but I think Princess Margaret was friends with some foreign royals like Prince Nikola of Yugoslavia. Plus she adored Princess Marina who she admired for her fashion sense.

Even if she didn't play with her young relatives it's obvious from different royal documentaries how fond of Margo most of her relatives were. She was by most accounts a complicated person (though aren't we all), but one who would have gone through fire to protect her family.
I myself hate playing games with my nieces and nephews, but they seem to be fond of me anyway. Children need adults to talk to, read them books, explain the news on TV etc... and I can see Margo playing that part as well.

i dont quite see it myself, and Margo fell out severely iwth Diana, so odds are that she didnt see much of the Wales children when they were kids.

I think Princess Margaret was very fond of Charles. A few years ago there was an auction of some of her letters to her friend, Sharman Douglas inviting her to come and see Charles and calling him her 'heavenly nephew'. Here's an article about the letters https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/pr...-douglas/0cdbc32c-c725-4ed4-b076-6e0a593a2026 Margaret was also one of Charles's godparents and held him at his christening. When she was unwell after suffering a number of strokes Charles visited and during to comfort his aunt. When she died in 2002, Charles made a TV broadcast describing Margaret as his 'darling aunt' BBC NEWS | UK | Charles: My darling aunt

Back
Top Bottom