Princess Alexandra of Kent and the late Sir Angus Ogilvy Part 1: July 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess Alexandra on Derby Day during the Investec Derby Festival at Epsom Downs on June 4:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Wimbledon Men's Final 2016

Princess Alexandra joined other Royals at the Wimbledon Men's Final on Sunday - interestingly she was seated next to her cousin Princess Elizabeth of Yugoslavia (Lady Annabel Goldsmith was on her other side).
Princess Elizabeth is the mother of American actress Catherine Oxenberg (of Dynasty fame). Milos Raonic who was beaten in the final was born in the part of the former Yugoslavia that is now Montenegro.

Kate Middleton and David Cameron among stars in the Wimbledon royal box | Daily Mail Online

On July 14 Princess Alexandra attended a reception in the grounds of Winchester Cathedral to mark the 40th anniversary of the Good Neighbours Support Service:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On September 21 Princess Alexandra opened a new wing at the New Victoria Hospital in Kingston upon Thames.

** fb gallery **

On that occasion the hospital shared some photos of her opening the Alexandra Ward nearly 30 years ago:

** fb gallery **

:previous: Ah, I live nearish to Bromley and my great-aunt was a patient at St. Christopher's. Being a lover of royals too, I'm sure she would have greatly appreciated a visit from Princess Alexandra but sadly she passed away in 2014. It's still nice to know that Alexandra was near my neck of the woods!

I do remember the drama and it was something to behold. The Daily Mail article of course, is not reporting the facts correctly, if I recall.

The Marina scandal happened before the birth of her eldest child if I recall and it was nasty. I think she had a registry wedding [not that there is anything wrong with that] and the royal representatives being only her parents and her brother and that was it. She wore a black velvet dress with a striking hat [at least I liked it.] The Queen gave her approval, but she didn't include the normal phrase her beloved cousin as she had included in the past, so you got the idea that she wasn't happy. She accused her parents of some pretty nasty stuff [drinking, being horrible absentee parents pushing for an abortion because her boyfriend was common, etc.] and she was persona non grata on the royal scene for a couple of years. She was not present at the Trooping, Christmas events, weddings, etc. I thought Charles was her godfather.

At the time it was all shocking because what the Daily Mail got right...when you thought of Alexandra you didn't think of scandal.

At one time, Alexandra was the only young beautiful British Princess besides Margaret [before Katharine of Kent and Brigitte of Gloucester and Anne was too young] and she was very popular. I mean she even married in Westminister Abbey, that's like Beatrice, Zara or Eugenie marrying the Abbey now...people would have a fit. I read in her biography that she wanted to go to nursing school but she was needed for royal duties so that idea was scratched.

That's why the talk of the cousins being pushed to the side for the younger royals to shine annoys me....both Alexandra, Edward and Richard [and their spouses] gave up their personal ambitions to assist the Queen.If they choose to slow down that is one thing but they shouldn't be kicked to the curb because there is a shiny new toy on the scene. I am glad she recognizes it if no one else does.

Last edited:
I thought that the Daily Mail article was extraordinarily snide. It was quite a way to "honour" Princess Alexandra as she approaches her 80th birthday. :glare:

On Sunday, January 22, Princess Alexandra as Patron of the Chopin Society in London attended a gala concert of the Chopin Society. She was accompanied the Duke of Kent.

** Photos ** Photos 2 ** Photos 3 ** fb gallery **

Princess Alexandra as Vice-Patron of the Young Women's Trust attended the first Young Women's Trust awards and reception in London yesterday, February 21:

** Pic **

Princess Alexandra is back on duty and presented (as Patron) the awards during the Alzheimer's Society's annual People Awards ceremony at St James's Palace on April 26:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

On June 14 Princess Alexandra as Patron of the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art attended the gala opening celebration of the new facilities at London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art:

** Pic ** lamda: Celebrating our new home **

I do remember the drama and it was something to behold. The Daily Mail article of course, is not reporting the facts correctly, if I recall.

The Marina scandal happened before the birth of her eldest child if I recall and it was nasty. I think she had a registry wedding [not that there is anything wrong with that] .
No Marina married in church but she wore black for some reason and looked really silly.. and very pregnant.
first she wnet to the papers and accused her parents of being unpleasant about the pregnancy, and suggesting that she have an abortion.. not because of his being "common", but because she was known to be pregnant -and she wanted to get married after she had had her baby and not look fat at the altar. And then she said that her parents cared more for the scandal than for her and were pressuring her to get an abortion and then marry later.
Not a very charming girl IMO. she then was indeed persona non grata for the scandal and talking to the press... but her marriage broke up in a few yaers.

Yesterday, July 27, Princess Alexandra visited the Bedford Citizens Housing Association and opened Bedford Charter House and Oak Way House in Bedford:

** belga gallery **

Princess Alexandra attended the 'The Art of Sir Oswald Birley' private view at Philip Mould & Company in London yesterday, September 25:

** rex gallery **

Back
Top Bottom