Princess Alexandra of Kent and the late Sir Angus Ogilvy Part 1: July 2003-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An elegant lady indeed -she has always been one of the British Royal Familiy's best ambassadors imo. I can't recall her receiving any bad press. Early pictures of her reveal what a beautiful princess she was & she remains a very attractive woman in her later years.

I agree and it's indeed amazing that she never had any bad press. At least, apart from the "scandal" concerning her daughter Marina, I can't remember any bad headline either. One day I would love to see an interview with Princess Alexandra. I'm almost sure she would have many nice anecdotes to tell and she appears to be such a nice lady.

^ Or a(n) (auto)biography, I'd love to read more about her life!

A great looking Princess Alexandra in a fantastic evening combination attended the American
Associates of the Royal Academy Trust Annual Gala held at The Pierre Hotel, New York City,
October 25, 2011.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Shouldnt their children be their Hon. also?

When Princess Alexandra and Angus Ogilvie married, the Queen
wanted to bestow a title upon Angus. He respectfully declined.
From having researched the protocol for several years now, it
would seem that persons of royal lineage have the privilege of
deciding whether or not their children will have a title, if in
fact the children are entitled to such. Princess Margaret's husband
Anthony-Armstrong Jones accepted the title Earl of Snowdon,
thus entitling their children to be known as "the Honorable".
Since Angus Ogilvie declined a title it is reasonable to assume
that their children would not have a title.

Angus was the younger son on an Earl which is why he had the "Hon" style. As he was not a peer he had no titles to pass along to his children, although his son remains in line to the earldom should the current earls line die out.

On January 30, 2012, Princess Alexandra visited Colinton Primary School and the Regiment
and families at Redford Infantry Barracks in Edinburgh.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Oh my, she looks absolutely lovely here. I do love the deep burgundy coat and her hat is so beautiful. The contrast of the lighter burgundy scarf is just perfect. Thank you Iceflower for this photograph.

Princess Alexandra has attended a Citizenship Ceremony at Wandsworth Town Hall, London
on April 23, 2012 to mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

** Pic **

Always a lovely lady, with a slightly Edwardian taste in fashion.

How is the relationship between Alexandra , Marie-Christine and Marina ?

:previous:

It's almost as if she was playing peek-a-boo with the journalists. :D
As always, thanks for the pictures, Iceflower. :)

One thing that bothers me the way how media handles these distant non-central royals. First of all they are very less covered.And upon that, they always make a point to tell their place in line to the throne.
For example,
Princess Alexandra, today attended so and so at so and so..
She is the cousin of QEII and is 40th in line to the throne.

This digging up the so-called line to throne has become a fashion, not just for this Princess, but in case of every other royal.
When someone from this generation sees that they will never give her a slightest significance.But media seems to measure everything in terms in "in line to throne" which will be very much understating the Princess.

People should realise that she and Duke of Kent have literally granted Independace to nations, chaired the State Openings of their Parliaments, things which William, Harry, Beatrice, Eugenie (leave alone Kent n Gloucester kids) will never be able to in their lifetime, how much ever "senior" they are..

I am not saying her "number in line" shouldnt be mentioned. But there should be something little more written about their significance, not just a number.

And one more..I often wonder..Had someone like Princess Alexandra been in place of Princess Margaret, the perception of British Monarchy would have been much different..especially during the transitions of late 60s and 70s..

Last edited:
Princess Alexandra was a very hard working royal as she and the Princess Margaret were the only princesses of her generation, except the Queen of course, and she was very popular at the time. The difference is that today Beatrice and Eugenie are doing almost nothing and are as much popular as she was working hard.

Princess Alexandra was a very hard working royal as she and the Princess Margaret were the only princesses of her generation, except the Queen of course, and she was very popular at the time. The difference is that today Beatrice and Eugenie are doing almost nothing and are as much popular as she was working hard.

There is lot of difference between the popularity of Alexandra in her heydays and the present-day popularity of Beatrice and Eugenie.If you measure it by the rate of appearance on newspapers, then its same. But today B&E are nothing but celebrities, and all that is discussed is what dress they wore and which club they partied at and their boyfriends.
But we cant blame them.They are not groomed that way and not given any royal duties..
Actually, the key point is..
Monarchy badly needed Alexandra back then (even Parliament found her much better than margaret to bank on for overseas visits)
Monarchy does not need Beatrice and Eugenie now. Ps:And pls dont blame Charles for this. Its just the changing time and family size and age

Yes, that's true. I think she still has a place in the hearts of older people who remember her time but now she is not a celebrity at all and IMO that's good. she does not need to be a celebrity. It's just how our culture works today. It's a pop culture.

Princess Alexandra as Joint President has attended the Cancer Research UK Christmas Carol Concert at St. Paul's Cathedral yesterday, December 11, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages gallery **

Back
Top Bottom