Prince William and Prince Harry: Charity Motorbike Trek in Africa - October 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that info, Charlotte. :flowers:

I'm surprised that the minimum charitable donation is only £1500 if the participation fee is almost £5000. You'd think they'd ask for matching funds, with an equal amount going to charity as to the administrative/travel money. The kind of person who'd go on this type of trek surely could splash out £10,000 with no problem.

The participation fee is 3,500pounds as the 1,500 for charity is taken out. Also participants can and do raise more money, the rider from the blog I found raised 20,000pounds for charity. Since the Enduro site posts ideas as to how to raise the money, I don't think that generally the people who do it are wealthy, more just the weekend warrior types wanting a touch of adventure. This is a trek they can sign up for, all the logistics are taken care of and there's the feelgood part of it too as they've made a contribution to charity. Part of the trek is on the rest day they do some voluntary work with the local people. This year ( again referring to blog) there were 2 treks, William and Harry's and the previous week, the one from the blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I don't think so. There is no need for further control. because the system of Royalty as it works today can only work in future time if the people born Royal show that they are decent people with understanding of the people they should head due to their birth. Charles is decent even though he enjoys his personal wealth. We have unfortunately yet to see if his sons are decent as well. Come to think of it: his nieces yet have to pass the public's examination as well.
I disagree Jo, I believe that there should be strict controls on what the royals can pass off as cost associated with charity. As we are sadly seeing, none of the younger royals seem to be willing or able to step up to the mark. If tighter controls are not brought in, many more will become disillusioned with the concept.

The participation fee is 3,500pounds as the 1,500 for charity is taken out. Also participants can and do raise more money, the rider from the blog I found raised 20,000pounds for charity. Since the Enduro site posts ideas as to how to raise the money, I don't think that generally the people who do it are wealthy, more just the weekend warrior types wanting a touch of adventure. This is a trek they can sign up for, all the logistics are taken care of and there's the feelgood part of it too as they've made a contribution to charity. Part of the trek is on the rest day they do some voluntary work with the local people. This year ( again referring to blog) there were 2 treks, William and Harry's and the previous week, the one from the blog.

Perhaps William and Harry should nothing else, it seems to be doing so much good they could give up their army "careers" and go on treks all year round. They could feel good, have a good time and the charities seem to be benefitting enormously :cool:

Read the information from the Enduro Africa site, I've posted the link in another post.
It would be really nice Charlotte, if you could stop advising others to read this, do research etc, it is in my opinion, ill mannered. The Enduro Africa expedition is advertised regularly in many of the major motorcycle publications, which tend to be reasonably reliable, oh and did I mention that I know a little about motorcycles, the cost of the kit etc. :rolleyes:----snipped----
All the news article stated was that William and Harry contributed the 1,500pounds minimum to charity and didn't raise more money. But to have participated they along with their entourage would have paid the total fee. Also in the past the motorbikes were donated to Riders for Health, so another charity benefited.
Even though you have tried to boogle the figures, the amounts remain the same. Nowhere have I claimed that they expected the UK taxpayer to pick up the tab for the hire of their motorcycles or the purchase of their own clothing. They have apparently allowed the taxpayer to pick up the entry fee + costs of clothing etc of their protection officers, who could in fact have joined the support teams in the 4 wheel vehicles, for which there would have only been overseas and overtime allowances.

This list of extra kit required/recommended from the official site, available to anyone who can use google etc,

PROTECTIVE TROUSERS (ESSENTIAL), GLOVES (ESSENTIAL)
MOSQUITO REPELLENT AND NET,ROLL MAT
FIRST AID KIT,SCARF / BANDANA (TO PROTECT NECK)
TOWEL, EAR PLUGS
gradient4.jpg
spacer.gif
MAGNETIC MAP CARRIER (ESSENTIAL), UPPER BODY ARMOUR (ESSENTIAL)
MOTORCYCLE BOOTS (ESSENTIAL),SUNGLASSES
TORCH,SLEEPING BAG
SUN CREAM (HIGH FACTOR),FLEECE / PULLOVER
TRAINERS OR SANDALS,CASUAL TROUSERS
WASH BAG

Enduro Africa - the ride for life - Kitlist

So who do you think picked up these extra costs? I could be incredibly boring and find you the prices for much of this gear, but safe to say that none of it was free and I believe you are keen on Google! This is on top of the entry fee and charges for the hire of the m/cs, guides etc.

Well you specifically stated that out of the donation of 1,500pounds that William and Harry made to Enduro that the cost of the accommodation, bikes, etc would come out of that. I pointed out that according to the Enduro site you were wrong as the entry fee is 5,000 pounds and out of that 1,500 goes straight to charity, 1,500 is used by Enduro to pay for staff, advertising, guides etc and 2,000 goes to accommodation, etc. I was merely correcting misinformation, if you find that insulting so be it. I thought I was being helpful in pointing out where information could be found. I believe that it's better that the correct information be available to all rather than whatever slant a poster wishes to promote.

I did not mention anything about the cost of security, that is your hobby horse to flog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not mention anything about the cost of security, that is your hobby horse to flog.

I gather you are not a British tax payer so it wouldn´t bother you at all but for people paying in Britain the cost of security is definitely something for them to think about and definitely in their right to criticize if they think that their money is being spent unnecessarily. :ermm:

Well you specifically stated that out of the donation of 1,500pounds that William and Harry made to Enduro that the cost of the accommodation, bikes, etc would come out of that.
Nobody minds being corrected for something they may have missed or phrased badly, but your IMO bad mannered approach is shown clearly by your reply.
I repeat -
Nowhere have I claimed that they expected the UK taxpayer to pick up the tab for the hire of their motorcycles or the purchase of their own clothing. They have apparently allowed the taxpayer to pick up the entry fee + costs of clothing etc of their protection officers, who could in fact have joined the support teams in the 4 wheel vehicles, for which there would have only been overseas and overtime allowances.
It is also worth remembering that this is a profit making orgnasation
charlotte1 said:
Oh dear, what do you think Personal Protection Officers do if not security, have you really missed the point regarding the amounts paid for their security team. Do you really believe that it is purely regarding the extra holiday or is your rudeness, IMO, perhaps because there is no defense regarding the extra costs, the 6 x £4995, overseas, overtime and the clothing? :rolleyes:

As a fully paid up member of many animal charities, I do not believe in flogging horses or any other sentient creatures!

Last edited:
I am amazed this carping has gone on as long as it has. Get a life, guys!

:previous:
Yes, and it's also become boring.
The debate about the costs of William and Harry's motorbike trek is now closed.

Warren
British Forums moderator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom