Prince Louis and the Dukedom of York

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Westfield Bakery

Aristocracy
City
Westfield, New Jersey
Country
United States
Prince Louis of Wales is expected to be crowned Duke of York, when his father, Prince William becomes King William V.

The Dukedom of York is given to the second son of the monarch......Prince Andrew, his great-uncle, currently holds the title.

His uncle, Prince Harry was expected to be given the title one day, but as long as Andrew is alive, it's not happening...

The Dukedom of York is noted for not having male heirs.....King George VI, who was Duke of York before becoming king, did not have male heirs......or else there would have never been a Queen Elizabeth II......

Do you think the dukedom will good for Louis, or will the baggage of previous members be a stain?

If there ia any baggage of previous Dukes of York, these should be overlooked. Prince Louis is the present and the future.

It seems too early to speculate on this matter. I don't know if it makes sense, at this moment, to have a topic on this subject in the forum, you can probably discuss this topic in another TRF topic.

Prince Louis of Wales is expected to be crowned Duke of York, when his father, Prince William becomes King William V.

The Dukedom of York is given to the second son of the monarch......Prince Andrew, his great-uncle, currently holds the title.

His uncle, Prince Harry was expected to be given the title one day, but as long as Andrew is alive, it's not happening...

The Dukedom of York is noted for not having male heirs.....King George VI, who was Duke of York before becoming king, did not have male heirs......or else there would have never been a Queen Elizabeth II......

Do you think the dukedom will good for Louis, or will the baggage of previous members be a stain?

It's far too early to speculate about a dukedom that's still in use possibly being given to a child who hasn't even started school yet. William may not give the dukedom to Louis. He may give him another one or maybe an earldom. Maybe by the time he's king, he won't give Louis a peerage at all. Maybe the monarchy will end with Charles and the United Kingdom will cease to exist. Maybe the sun will explode and we'll all be vaporized into dust.

Lots of things can happen between now and when this hypothetical bestowing would occur. It's too early to discuss it.

The current Duke of York is still very much alive. Prince Louis is a pre-schooler.

I agree that this thread is at least 20 years premature.:ermm:

I mean, hell, Charles could write new Letters Patent allowing Beatrice to inherit the title, thus becoming Duchess of York in her own right, with the dukedom being inherited by her eldest legitimate son. If she didn't have any, it would pass to Eugenie, if she were still alive, and then to her eldest son August.

Yes, it is much too early. Who knows what is going to happen to the monarchy in several decades time.
In theory Beatrice could inherit after Andrew’s death if the laws of inheritance manage to catch up with the 21st century.

And as Andrew is only 62, youthful by Windsor standards, he may well not die until his mid-90s or even later. That would leave Louis with no Dukedom on his wedding day, if the custom of giving such Dukedoms continues into King William’s era (that is supposing the British monarchy will be still around) unless Louis doesn’t marry until he’s nearly 40.

Harry was never in line for the Dukedom of York. He was given Sussex on his wedding day as his Uncle Andrew was still alive and well and expected to remain so.

As well, Royal Dukedoms don’t usually pass to another recipient until the previous holder has been dead for some time, leaving aside the expectation that, like previous Dukes of York, Andrew will have no son and heir.

Last edited:
Aren't these ducal titles lifetime? So it is too early to discuss about Louis' future title since Andrew is only just 62 years. So we probably should wait something like at least 30 years.

...Maybe by the time he's king, he won't give Louis a peerage at all. Maybe the monarchy will end with Charles and the United Kingdom will cease to exist. Maybe the sun will explode, and we'll all be vaporized into dust.

Lots of things can happen between now and when this hypothetical bestowing would occur. It's too early to discuss it.

:lol: As we speak, I'm checking outside my window :ermm:

Kidding aside, it's too early and the Duke of York will probably have a healthy long life like his Windsor kin. Louis will have to get a different title while he is on the Duchy of York waiting list

:lol: As we speak, I'm checking outside my window :ermm:

Kidding aside, it's too early and the Duke of York will probably have a healthy long life like his Windsor kin. Louis will have to get a different title while he is on the Duchy of York waiting list

Agree. Louis probably gets some title when he marries.

And there is possibility that in couple decades rules of ducal titles are changed so that these can be passed through female lineage.

A few notes:

1. Andrew's dukedom is inheritable by 'heirs male of the body' as are all the other royal dukedoms and earldoms.

2. Highly unlikely Charles would issue new LPs as things currently stand but ... if he were to strip Beatrice and Eugenie of their HRHs I can see him compensating by allowing the Dukedom to descend via his nieces.

3. It should be noted that it is customary not to create a new title while anyone is alive who still uses or has used that title. Although Beatrice and Eugenie seem to have dropped the 'of York' since they married they are still Princesses 'of York' and so it would be inappropriate to even think about giving the York title to anyone else while either of them are alive ... and before anyone starts on the previous two creations it should be noted that the 'of York' is both situations had been 'promoted' to 'of UK'. Even so both The Queen Mum and Princess Margaret were consulted before Andrew was given the York Dukedom in 1986 and they were happy for that to happy as neither had used 'of York' since December 1936 when they became HM The Queen and HRH The Princess Margaret.

4. Every so often there is an attempt to force a change in law to allow daughters to inherit i.e. having parliament over rule the 'heirs male of the body' in the original Letters Patent. One of the reasons why parliament is looking into the situation is that there are 92 elected hereditary peers in the House of Lords and it is virtually impossible for any of them to be female under the existing system whereby the vast majority of hereditary peerages descend only via males. If this were to change by law then Beatrice would inherit York, followed by Sienna.

As far as I am aware a new 'Duke of York' title would need to be created with a different remainder for Beatrice to be able to inherit the dukedom. I don't think the remainders of a peerages can be changed (or at least have been changed up til now).

They only reason they could keep giving the Duke or York title to second sons is because they either had no sons or became king. So, if at some point a Duke of York has male-line descendants (assuming that is still the remainder), it will no longer be available for 'second sons'. So, in that respect it is very different from for example the Duke of Cornwall title that goes to the heir apparent automatically.

And I doubt William would rather give his uncle's ducal title to his son than his own. Making him 'Duke of Cambridge' seems far more likely imho - that will of course only be possible if William himself is king - as long as Louis' grandfather is king, the title is not available (as it remains one of the titles of William).

N.B. I don't think anyone is 'crowned' with a dukedom either :flowers:

People don't even get 'invested' with a Dukedom anymore. There is no ceremony at all.
There used to be a sort of ceremony in the House of Lords when the peer took his seat there but that ended when they ended the automatic membership of the House of Lords.

Of course new LPs would have to be issued but that isn't that hard if the will is there - which I am not sure there is. Unless Charles really is going to strip the York princesses of their HRH Princess styles (and despite what some people say the two go together according to the 1917 LPs so if you have one you have both) I can't see him changing the LPs for Beatrice. I would like to see him do it as a woman but I don't think he is that progressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom