The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 05:14 AM
Majesty

I wonder if the impending retirement is at least in part a belated consequence of the Times investigation of influence-peddling in Russian government circles by Prince Michael and his business partner. I was a bit surprised by the lack of consequences for his official role, especially as the incident was captured on video, but I hope Princess Michael is not being punished for her husband's actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
I agree that they were in a no-win situation. Yes, she called herself HRH Princess Michael on the front covers of her books, but what was she supposed to put? Marie-Christine Windsor?
Marie-Christine Kent would be the traditional option (see the professional names of Katharine Kent, Beatrice York and Eugenie York). But Marie-Christine Windsor or Marie-Christine von Reibnitz would be perfectly acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie25 View Post
I don't know why this issue even came up in the last few posts to be honest.
In message #973, you recounted marks of favor given by the Queen to Prince and Princess Michael (Royal Victorian Order, honorary titles and a place at state events). Duc_et_Pair, quoting your message, was adding another item to your list: the grace and favor home.
Old 06-18-2022, 07:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
I wonder if the impending retirement is at least in part a belated consequence of the Times investigation of influence-peddling in Russian government circles by Prince Michael and his business partner. I was a bit surprised by the lack of consequences for his official role, especially as the incident was captured on video, but I hope Princess Michael is not being punished for her husband's actions.

Marie-Christine Kent would be the traditional option (see the professional names of Katharine Kent, Beatrice York and Eugenie York). But Marie-Christine Windsor or Marie-Christine von Reibnitz would be perfectly acceptable.

In message #973, you recounted marks of favor given by the Queen to Prince and Princess Michael (Royal Victorian Order, honorary titles and a place at state events). Duc_et_Pair, quoting your message, was adding another item to your list: the grace and favor home.
No, I felt Duc et Pair was being critical of them having the apartment and it was being mentioned in that context. All of the previous posters had been commenting on the work they had done and the house and it's size just sort of got launched into the mix which I didn't think was relevant.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

I am afraid your perception that everyone is against this couple clouded your interpretation of Duc_et_Pair's comment. Nothing in his comment suggests criticism against this couple. It is a matter of fact description of how the queen was so kind to provide them with a royal apartment for a very affordable price. Only due to public outcry she had to change course.

His previous post even praised the couple.
Old 06-18-2022, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
I am afraid your perception that everyone is against this couple clouded your interpretation of Duc_et_Pair's comment. Nothing in his comment suggests criticism against this couple. It is a matter of fact description of how the queen was so kind to provide them with a royal apartment for a very affordable price. Only due to public outcry she had to change course.

His previous post even praised the couple.
I don't have a perception that everyone is against them.
Old 06-18-2022, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

There was publicity at the time it was revealed about the grace and favour home, urged on by the media, nothing new there then. To be fair I really do believe they were given it almost as compensation for the work that they did without any recompense from what was the civil list, now the Sovereign Grant. As I said earlier they were in a limbo situation with regards how they earned a living because of their closeness to the crown.

I know certain royal watchers view them as an old couple, along with the Kents and Gloucesters , who do not do much but lets remember they were not always in their 70's and 80's.

With regard his work with Russia, there was a time when closer links were encouraged by government agencies.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:29 AM
Nobility

The impending retirement of the Kents is the end of an era.

Once I observed Princess Michael wearing the same outfit, with the same hat, with only slight variations in jewelry, three events in a row, I had to wonder what was going on. She definitely seemed to be a bit unsettled on her feet at the St. Paul's service and her long battle with Covid-19 certainly could have taken a toll.

They have been around for half a century and added some pizzaz to the Royal Family and gave the tabloids some fabulous fodder. They have always cut a very glamorous figure. Perhaps history will look back on them as being a tad frivolous, but life needs a bit of frivolity and a bit of frothy fun, and the Kents delivered on that in spades.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent spent decades at the proverbial ball.
Old 06-20-2022, 06:29 AM
Imperial Majesty

Its not the frivolity that is objected to, it is the grasping for money
Old 08-26-2022, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 6: July 2011-

It's time to close this thread. You can find the new one here.

Tags
prince michael of kent, princess michael of kent