Prince and Princess Michael of Kent Current Events 6: July 2011- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
Maybe that's because:
Princess Michael never really worked for the RF, so she has no record of public service on behalf of the Queen
Sarah, Duchess of York was in the family effectively for 6 years, while the last year (two?) before separation was already hard for the couple. So I think it was too short to get her an order.

Earlier wives basically got the RFO within a year of marriage - up to and including Diana but with Sarah the Queen changed tack and made them 'earn' it by working and being married for a number of years. Princess Michael is the odd one out - being before the marriages all started to fail and the idea of earning the RFO being made but hasn't been given it for some reason, or maybe she has been offered it and refused for some reason and we haven't been told ... I can't imagine it but it is an idea.

The Duchess of Kent, for instance, got the RFO in 1961 the same year she married the Duke of Kent and The Duchess of Gloucester was given hers in 1973, a year after she married Prince Richard of Gloucester (as he then was).

Sophie married 1999 and was given the RFO in 2004, Camilla married in 2005 and was given the RFO in 2007 while Catherine married in 2011 but wasn't awarded the RFO until 2018.

Princess Margaret never received the order of the Garter ?
I think her Cousine Princess Alexandra received it.

Its hard to understand.. Possibly prior to Sarah the queen gave it out fairly quickly because she assumed that royal wives would be part of the family and the marriages would last. Then with the rumblings of problems in the C and DI marriage, and the Yorks getting to the point of separation witihn a few years, she realised that not all royal marriages mgith last and became cautious...

I don't believe Marie Christine turned down an order. She seems to be so grandiose. Thus, there must be a reason the Queen still doesn't want her to have a very personal award, a sign of membership in the RF, her personal order. I agree the other orders are for public and royal service and the Princess simply doesn't fit for them. But the RFO?

I think she was never fully accepted by her husband's relatives. They might just don't like her privately. The RFO is a sign of inclusion into the family.

But maybe it's because she's not a working member! But again, as you said, when she came into the RF it wasn't earned at it is today.

An Ard Do, the medals you've mentioned are given to those who simply take part in the events they commemorate. So those don't count in our discussion.

Marie Christine does not hold any British Royal Orders however she is a Papal Dame of the Order of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mercy as well as being a Dame Grand Cross of Honour and Devotion of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta.
From QEII
Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal
Recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal

Princess Michael was given/awarded the Order of the Starry Cross. This order verified and confirmed her blue-blooded bloodline.

Last edited:
Princess Michael was given/awarded the Order of the Starry Cross. This order verified and confirmed her blue-blooded bloodline.

And her Roman Catholicism helped ;)

It verified she was a catholic blue blood. It’s only awarded to aristocratic women who are Catholic and show devotion to the faith through charity.

Princess Margaret never received the order of the Garter ?
I think her Cousine Princess Alexandra received it.

I think that the Queen Mother opposed royal ladies having the Garter - other than Queen's, and female future monarchs such as Elizabeth herself who was given it in 1947, and so Margaret didn't get it.

Alexandra was given it AFTER both Margaret and the Queen Mum died in 2002. Alexandra was given it in 2003 - a year after both those ladies died.

That would suggest to me that had Margaret outlived her mother she may very well have been given it but not while The Queen Mum lived.

:previous:
Thanks for the update!
It is nice to see Prince Michael representing the UK in Sweden.

Has this been planned long in advance? Or is he taking over from one of his cousins (Andrew more likely than Harry I'd say although 'road safety' is not necessarily a theme I associate with either one of them) who would normally have taken this one on? Because in the latter case we might be seeing some redistribution and sharing of workload.

Prince Michael is patron or president of the Royal Automobile Club and Motorsport UK which may explain this visit. Interesting if it is an "official visit by a member of the RF" as usually Prince Michael is only very very rarely considered undertaking official duties.

It wasn't an official visit - as it wasn't mentioned in the CC.

I have it listed as an unofficial engagement (including the fact he did the event with a 'foreign Head of State) in my spreadsheet as I did with Beatrice and her meetings with the President and Prime Minister of Pakistan.

Oh dear not good. Hope she gets well

I do hope the princess feels better soon and has a full recovery - her symptoms sound awful for her.

I wish her a speedy recovery. I can feel with her. Had the virus,felt like I got run over by a train.

I hope she gets well soon.

Thanks for the links, Alisa. Pretty disgraceful behaviour all round if the story is true and it appears to be from the Marquess’s apology. I suppose quite a nice little extra income could result from these deals.

The BBC has video of the Prince accepting a fee of $200,000 (£143,000), and to use his home at Kensington Palace as a backdrop.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57042823

I'm appalled at such disgraceful behavior, especially given his age and decades of experience as member of the Queen's family.

Thanks for the links, Alisa. Pretty disgraceful behaviour all round if the story is true and it appears to be from the Marquess’s apology. I suppose quite a nice little extra income could result from these deals.
"Her Majesty's unofficial ambassador to Russia"...one can imagine the queen is not best pleased!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom