Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cute_girl said:
can he marry his cousins?

I'm sure he would be allowed to marry second cousins and such. After all how was it that the Royal Families of Europe manage to keep royal marriages within their circle for such a long time? Besides, if he was to marry a Royal, they would be related one way or another, whether genetically or through a marriage.

As for William and Charlotte getting married, I highly doubt it would ever happen considering the fact that Charlotte is Roman Catholic, this is of course unless Charlotte relenquishes her Catholic faith and converts to William's religion.

Prince William will chose Royals Brides for future Queen of England. BUT William wanted Kate Middleton as Queen of England because his girlfriend from college in Scotland he would decides to getting married im not sure when he told reporter he will getting married at 28 or 30 but he really younger! but William still dating his girlfriend with Kate for more years!

Sara Boyce

Guys...i read that Prince Charles had to marry a virgin.....do you that if this could apply to William?

I believe that only the heir to the throne has to marry a virgin. This doesn't apply to any of the others.

So..he will have to marry a virgin......he´s 2 in the line of sucession...I will try to forget about sex for more about 7 years...hehehehehehehe,...kidding...

Wills doesn't have to marry a virgin. He can marry any girl he wants as long as she's not Catholic. If he's under the age of 25, the Queen (or King, if it's Charles by then) would have to approve of the girl.

AnitolaNova said:
Wills doesn't have to marry a virgin. He can marry any girl he wants as long as she's not Catholic. If he's under the age of 25, the Queen (or King, if it's Charles by then) would have to approve of the girl.

so, he would be allowed to marry someone who is jew, muslim or from another not christian religion?

Last edited:
stacy said:
so, he would be allowed to marry someone who is jew, muslim or from another not christian religion?

a muslim woman can't marry a christian man he should convert to Islam to marry her :D

Marriage restrictions

stacy said:
So, he would be allowed to marry someone who is jew, muslim or from another not christian religion?

The only legal restrictions on a marriage are by the Act of Settlement and the Royal Marriages Act:

* Up to the age of 25 he requires the permission of the Sovereign to marry;
* He can marry anyone, as long as she is not Roman Catholic.

If he does marry a Roman Catholic he forfeits his right to the Throne.

This is not the Queen's ruling, it is laid down by an Act of Parliament and can only be changed by the British Parliament.

Warren said:
The only legal restrictions on a marriage are by the Act of Settlement and the Royal Marriages Act:

* Up to the age of 25 he requires the permission of the Sovereign to marry;
* He can marry anyone, as long as she is not Roman Catholic.

If he does marry a Roman Catholic he forfeits his right to the Throne.

This is not the Queen's ruling, it is laid down by an Act of Parliament and can only be changed by the British Parliament.

have the Parliament ever proposed a change to the law?

william doesn't have to marry a virgin as a matter of law but it is a tradition so i wouldn't be suprised if he does since the rf is very traditional. :)

Jo said:
william doesn't have to marry a virgin as a matter of law but it is a tradition so i wouldn't be suprised if he does since the rf is very traditional. :)

well unless he'll marry someone very young he might have a hard time finding one :)

stacy said:
have the Parliament ever proposed a change to the law?

I think they have thought of changing that law. I remember reading something about it.

is there also a rule that the lady cant become a queen unless shes british born?Cause if this isnt true, then why was there such an uproar when king edward wanted to marry Wallis?because she was a Catholic and refused to convort?

Wallis Simpson

there was such an uproar because :

1. She was divorced
2. Still married to her second husband
3. Did not have "acceptable" breeding to join the royal family.

in those days mistresses did not become Queen and the royal family were even more concerned with appearances and the rules that governed royal behavior manly look respectable and any "hanky panky" stayed quiet.

ksenia said:

1. She was divorced
3. Did not have "acceptable" breeding to join the royal family.

in those days mistresses did not become Queen and the royal family were even more concerned with appearances and the rules that governed royal behavior manly look respectable and any "hanky panky" stayed quiet.

The real reason for the abdication was none of the above of course but this was the reason that the government of the day gave the people knowing that they would accept that rather than the idea that the king was not doing his job properly. He was not security conscious. At one dinner Wallis Simpson mentioned something to one of the government ministers who realised that the only way that she would know this information was if she had read it and she admitted that she had done so. Edward didn't secure the government boxes and anyone who was in the house at the time could read them - remember this was 1936 and a man named Hitler was flexing his muscles.

As to marrying a commoner - why not? Since World War Two only the late Duke of Kent and the present Queen Elizabeth II have not married commoners. Remember that in Britain everyone is a commoner if they are not royal or noble - to be noble a person must have a title in their own right therefore the Queen Mum, Diana, Fergie, Sophie, Camilla etc were all commoners on their wedding days. Sure they may have had noble fathers and even had the 'title' Lady but they were still commoners.

The RMA insists that the monarch must give consent not only to the person up until they turn 25 but at any stage. Charles had to have the consent of his mother to marry Camilla and he is over 25. Once the person turns 25 they can notifiy the government of their desire to marry without the monarch's consent and after a year if neither house of parliament objects then the marriage can take place. Without the monarch's consent or the consent of parliament as described above the marriage is not legal.

It is not the RMA that restricts the religion but the Act of Settlement 1701. Technically, William can marry anyone he wants so long as they are not Roman Catholic so yes he could marry a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Hindu, an atheist, an agnostic or any other protestant denomination. This made sense at the time but not now however there are problems repealing this law as it would have to be done so as not the repeal the whole Act of Settlement or the senior Catholic claimant could claim the throne, which would create some form of crisis.

Excellent explanation chrissy57. Thanks.

to convert the religion was a usual matter for royal brides at all times ( for ex., Russian's princesses had a strong choice: to marry for royal and convert religion or to go to the monastery)
what's about William..... think the rules will become more flexible
the future King and the head of anglican's church can't be divorced:) but the goverment don't forbid to Charles to heritate the throne.

Alice Vilghelmina said:
]the future King and the head of anglican's church can't be divorced:) but the goverment don't forbid to Charles to heritate the throne.

Can you please tell me in which Act of Parliament this is stated? It isn't in either the Act of Settlement or the Royal Marriage Act.

I hope you aren't basing this on the abdication of Edward VIII because her divorce wasn't the reason for the abdication but was the excuse put to the people so that they would accept it.

chrissy57,

I didn't study official docs so carefully.
I heard from Euronews and read in the serious newspapers that Charles didn't lose his rights on the throne after his wedding. Also the goverment found point ( don't remember the name of act) which let Camilla to pretend on the title of Queen when Charles will became the King. Am I not right?

chrissy57 said:
......It is not the RMA that restricts the religion but the Act of Settlement 1701. Technically, William can marry anyone he wants so long as they are not Roman Catholic so yes he could marry a Jew, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Hindu, an atheist, an agnostic or any other protestant denomination. This made sense at the time but not now however there are problems repealing this law as it would have to be done so as not the repeal the whole Act of Settlement or the senior Catholic claimant could claim the throne, which would create some form of crisis.

crises? why? It's the Parliament which in the end decides who will be king - so in fact anyone could claim to be the 'rightful' monarch - if the Parliament doesn't agree they have no case

ksenia said:

1. She was divorced
how can some1 be divorced but still married?sorry but I couldnt get this

houri said:
a muslim woman can't marry a christian man he should convert to Islam to marry her :D
muslim women can marry men from any religion,there's no limitatian as far as I know

Wills marring a comooner will be ok. For be "royal" (i don`t think that some people are more impotant that others) you aren`t "different" for a normal girl. If he loves a girl, and she has no past (i mean, if she has a bad past, it doesn´t is very nice), studies , it will be great.
I think that is bad that Wills can´t marry a Catholic girl, if he can marries girls of most of religions, why not a Catholic?.

Piewi said:
Wills marring a comooner will be ok. For be "royal" (i don`t think that some people are more impotant that others) you aren`t "different" for a normal girl. If he loves a girl, and she has no past (i mean, if she has a bad past, it doesn´t is very nice), studies , it will be great.
I think that is bad that Wills can´t marry a Catholic girl, if he can marries girls of most of religions, why not a Catholic?.

Check out this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Act_of_Settlement_1701

stacy said:
crises? why? It's the Parliament which in the end decides who will be king - so in fact anyone could claim to be the 'rightful' monarch - if the Parliament doesn't agree they have no case

Don't forget that the succession is not decided by parliament but is laid down by the Act of Settlement and common law practices built up over centuries. In Britain the courts have a huge say in the interpretation of the laws passed by parliament as they have a three way system of government - legislature, executive and JUDICIAL. All three are involved in making the laws and not just the parliament. If the courts ruled that someone other than the parliament's choice was the rightful monarch based on acts of parliament that exist or have been repealed there is a crisis.

If Parliament repealed the Act of Settlement they would have to deal with two claimants - 1) the incumbant (currently Elizabeth II) and 2) the descendent of the senior line disinherited by the original Act of Settlement.

If the original Act of Settlement, or just the anti-Catholic clauses therein, is repealed there are quite a few claimants with better blood claims than the current House of Windsor - there were 58 people with better blood claims than George I in 1714 when the Act of Settlement was first applied, but they were barred due to their Roman Catholicism. Their descendents could make a claim, using the British legal system which interprets the laws passed by parliament, once the Act of Settlement, which barred their ancestors from the throne, is repealed. In other words they could put a claim before the courts the instant the law is repealed and the legal system would take over preventing further legislation on the issue until the courts make a ruling. There claim would be along the lines of their ancestor being barred from the throne due to a factor that no longer applies and therefore they should have the throne. This could take quite a while. The government would have to deal with this problem before it could repeal any aspect of the Act of Settlement or it could have a constitutional crisis on its hands. Remember that the British constitution is unwritten so the courts are a major part of the interpretation of the laws passed by parliament.

Last edited:
chrissy57,
so what about Charles's divorce and his rights on the throne?
I thought that the question " Will be Charles the King after his second wedding" is almost closed. Am I mistaken?

Last edited:
Alice Vilghelmina said:
chrissy57,
so what about Charles's divorce and his rights on the throne?
I thought that the question " Will be Charles the King after his second wedding" is almost closed. Am I mistaken?

Sorry I didn't see your post earlier.

Charles' divorce never had any bearing on his rights of succession nor did his marrying a divorcee. Where people got that idea was from Edward VIII's divorce, which was said was due to his desire to marry a divorcee, however there was never any law that said he couldn't - only government opinion and public opinion at a time when divorce was frowned upon. I have explained about Edward's failings as king which was the real reason anyway elsewhere but I will explain it again if you like.

As Britain doesn't have any provision for a morganatic marriage, or unequal marriage, Camilla is legally entitled to all of Charles' titles since their marriage. According to this she is right now entitled to be called The Princess of Wales but has announced that she will use Charles' second title Duke of Cornwall and be known as The Duchess of Cornwall. In time she will be entitled to be called HM Queen Camilla but has said, at this stage that her intention is to be known as Princess Consort - again using a lesser title to that which she will be entitled to use.

Some people claim that due to various clauses in the Marriage Acts of 1949 and 1953 that members of the British Royal Family can't contract a legal marriage in a civil ceremony, in England, but the highest legal official of the government, the Lord Chancellor, has advised otherwise. Unless a court rules differently, which personally I doubt that they will now but who knows with courts, then the marriage is legal and Charles remains the heir to the throne with Camilla to be his official consort. There is a minister of the Church of England who has put in a number of protests about the marriage and he may take the matter to court but unless the court rules the marriage illegal it is legal.

Chrissy57,
many thanks for explanations!!!
I knew about titles of Camilla, but forget about the protest which was taken to court.
so....it turns out that the marriage of Charles&Camilla can be recognized illegal.....hm....
I doubt that the court rules the marriage illegal. The most important question is heritation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom