Possible Scottish Independence and the Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm jubilant and relieved, but above all PROUD of my Scots compatriots whose wisdom and common sense won out yesterday.

There will need to be big changes ahead, and I fully expect to see the emergence of a more Federated solution to the governance of these Kingdoms, one that takes account of ALL the different regions that make up these islands.

I'm also very pleased for the Queen and the Royal Family who will certainly have known of the
Republican sub-text to the Nationalist campaign.

God bless the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and God save the Queen !

I'm jubilant and relieved, but above all PROUD of my Scots compatriots whose wisdom and common sense won out yesterday.

There will need to be big changes ahead, and I fully expect to see the emergence of a more Federated solution to the governance of these Kingdoms, one that takes account of ALL the different regions that make up these islands.

I'm also very pleased for the Queen and the Royal Family who will certainly have known of the
Republican sub-text to the Nationalist campaign.

God bless the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and God save the Queen !

I agree, I am glad common sense prevailed. It will be interesting to see how economic activity in Scotland, especially the Glasgow area, can be revived when the skill levels are so low.

Alex Salmond resigns

Alex Salmond this afternoon dramatically quit as Scotland's First Minister after voters rejected independence in yesterday's referendum.
The First Minister said he would stand down in November to let the next generation take over the fight to lead Scotland out of the Union.
Mr Salmond announced his departure at a press conference this afternoon. He said his 'party, Parliament and country' would benefit from 'new leadership'. But he fired a warning shot at David Cameron not to go back on his promise to transfer sweeping new powers to Holyrood within six months.
This afternoon's announcement came after he was forced to accept that a majority of Scots had decided 'at this stage' not to become an independent country. The 'No' campaign secured 55 per cent of vote to the nationalists' 45 per cent.
Alex Salmond resigns hours after Scotlant votes no to independence | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
In fairness, Salmond did not offer any practical solutions to alternatives; he didn't realize that Scotland has no standing military of her own and second, older voters weren't given a clear and concise plan on how the economy would be structured. Even the US Founders had a clear idea of how things should be and presented a full plan on how the US would be modeled if we won the war for our freedom.

In fairness, Salmond did not offer any practical solutions to alternatives; he didn't realize that Scotland has no standing military of her own and second, older voters weren't given a clear and concise plan on how the economy would be structured. Even the US Founders had a clear idea of how things should be and presented a full plan on how the US would be modeled if we won the war for our freedom.

Well, to be fair - we had the army because we fought a war for independence. And as to the economic plans we had - they were a bit foggy and vastly different if you were a Federalist or a Republican. And the government tussled on deciding the economy for decades. Ellis's bio of Washington, His Excellency, does an excellent job of describing the economic issues faced by the nascent nation.

Alex Salmond resigns

Quel dommage.. I sigh *sarcastically*

It is nice that the referendum circus is over. With each passing day, whining and whinging became less and less bearable.
Hopefully referendum organisers in other European countries will learn from Scots' mistakes and will succeed in gaining Independence.

Last edited:
[QUOTE Whining and whinging were becoming unbearable.][/QUOTE]

Nobody FORCED you to follow it...

Scottish independence: Doubts over Queens future - The Scotsman

Anti-monarchy group Republic has called for a parliamentary inquiry into the actions of the Queen and her advisers, saying they would be writing to the Commons political and constitutional reform committee as well as the Justice Secretary.

Republic’s chief executive Graham Smith said: “The monarchy and the Queen have been around long enough to know what they’re doing. Comments made by the Queen last weekend and widely reported in the press as pro-Union were a deliberate attempt to influence the vote.

“We’re calling on MPs to investigate the role of the Queen in this referendum campaign and the convention of royal impartiality.

“Of course, the Queen is damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t - but the bottom line is that the rules are there and the Queen can’t pick and choose when to follow them.”

Mr Smith said: “Republic takes no position on whether Scotland should be independent, but it’s unacceptable for the Queen to be interfering in this way while still asserting her neutrality.”

Don't make me laugh!

I don't think that is entirely true. The first ten years or so of the independent United States under the so-called Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union were actually a chaos and the country was on the verge of bankruptcy with rampant inflation and a do-nothing government. It was only in the late 1780s that the "Founding Fathers" got their act together with the constitution of the United States, which created a much stronger federal government capable of levying taxes, borrowing money, providing for common defense and mantaining the value of the national dollar. If that had not happened, I guess several crypto-loyalist states like New York would have switched their allegiance back to the British Crown.

The Queen's message following the Scottish referendum result:

After many months of discussion, debate, and careful thought, we now know the outcome of the Referendum, and it is a result that all of us throughout the United Kingdom will respect.

For many in Scotland and elsewhere today, there will be strong feelings and contrasting emotions – among family, friends and neighbours. That, of course, is the nature of the robust democratic tradition we enjoy in this country. But I have no doubt that these emotions will be tempered by an understanding of the feelings of others.

Now, as we move forward, we should remember that despite the range of views that have been expressed, we have in common an enduring love of Scotland, which is one of the things that helps to unite us all. Knowing the people of Scotland as I do, I have no doubt that Scots, like others throughout the United Kingdom, are able to express strongly-held opinions before coming together again in a spirit of mutual respect and support, to work constructively for the future of Scotland and indeed all parts of this country.

My family and I will do all we can to help and support you in this important task.

ELIZABETH R.

After many months of discussion, debate, and careful thought, we now know the outcome of the Referendum, and it is a result that all of us throughout the United Kingdom will respect.

For many in Scotland and elsewhere today, there will be strong feelings and contrasting emotions – among family, friends and neighbours. That, of course, is the nature of the robust democratic tradition we enjoy in this country. But I have no doubt that these emotions will be tempered by an understanding of the feelings of others.

Now, as we move forward, we should remember that despite the range of views that have been expressed, we have in common an enduring love of Scotland, which is one of the things that helps to unite us all. Knowing the people of Scotland as I do, I have no doubt that Scots, like others throughout the United Kingdom, are able to express strongly-held opinions before coming together again in a spirit of mutual respect and support, to work constructively for the future of Scotland and indeed all parts of this country.

My family and I will do all we can to help and support you in this important task.

ELIZABETH R.

The simple fact that Queen actually decided to make a statement (as she also did following the republican referendum in Australia) is in itself already significant, no matter the words therein.

ELIZABETH R.

It always heartens me when the Queen makes a statement like this and it fills me with such pride and hope with her words of encouragement!
Thank you Your Majesty for being our Queen!

The Queen has welcomed the decision of the Scottish electorate to vote against independence.

In a statement released from Balmoral, Her Majesty said it was a 'result that all of us throughout the United Kingdom will respect'.

Before yesterday's vote, The Queen urged Scottish voters to consider their decision carefully, which was seen by some as request to support the Union.
'A result that all of us throughout the United Kingdom will respect': The Queen responds to Scottish referendum decision* | Daily Mail Online

It always heartens me when the Queen makes a statement like this and it fills me with such pride and hope with her words of encouragement!
Thank you Your Majesty for being our Queen!

Even though I live in the US, I whole heartily agree with you, may The Queen reign for another decade or more.............

George Square was a mess not very peaceful as the media portrays this to be

I've had quite a terrible day today, so hearing that the No Campaign had won the overall vote was the only positive thing about it. As you can tell, I'm glad and relieved that Scotland are staying. I had a feeling that they would though, as by the end of it more people seemed to be leaning more towards the No side. I know two people who are Scottish and they said they stayed up all night just so they could hear the results. :D But what I thought was interesting was that one of them said that both she and her mother thought No (they couldn't vote as they live in England), but her father thought Yes. I would've thought that since he is living in a household where the majority is No, he would've been No too, but there you go.

The major problem I had with the referendum was that we in England couldn't vote, as IMO it affects us just as much as it does Scotland, and I guess one could argue that it affects us more...

I also heard that after the referendum, Scotland will gain more power - when I first heard the results this morning I thought the whole situation was pointless - but now I understand that it does have a point.

Last edited:
I don't think that is entirely true. The first ten years or so of the independent United States under the so-called Articles of Confederation and Perpetual Union were actually a chaos and the country was on the verge of bankruptcy with rampant inflation and a do-nothing government. It was only in the late 1780s that the "Founding Fathers" got their act together with the constitution of the United States, which created a much stronger federal government capable of levying taxes, borrowing money, providing for common defense and mantaining the value of the national dollar. If that had not happened, I guess several crypto-loyalist states like New York would have switched their allegiance back to the British Crown.

I agreed in an earlier post - but want to say my cite was incomplete. Try 1775 by Kevin Phillips for a sparkling examination of what babes in the wilderness we were re: the Economy of the new Democracy.

And I want to add that, however the vote came out, I planned to crack open an old bottle of Talisker that I have been saving for an appropriate occasion. Consider it cracked and a lovely addition to my day. ;)

Last edited:
Salmond's goons barred the conservative media from his resignation press conference.

Journalists from the The Herald, The Daily Record, the Times, the BBC, The Courier, Channel Four News, STV, The Sun and BBC Newsnight were allowed to attend.

Along with The Telegraph, journalists from the Daily Mail and the Daily Express were also not invited.

The Guardian did not send a reporter after the First Minister’s office attempted to nominate which reporter could be sent.
Video: Telegraph reporters barred from Alex Salmond’s resignation press conference - Telegraph

Hurrah that Scotland Is remaining a part of the United Kingdom!!

Current images on Twitter of Glasgow in flames is NOT Glasgow.

These are images from Croydon 3 yrs ago.

Do not believe everything you see/read. There are some disgusting trolls out there jut trying to agitate violence. And they are not necessarily either Scottish or English. Social media really does have a dark side.

Salmond is now saying the Scottish Parliament could unilaterally declare independence after gaining increasing numbers of powers.

So I guess the "sovereign will" of the people only counts if its a Yes vote?

Alex Salmond has claimed No supporters were “tricked” into rejecting independence and raised the prospect of another referendum as he broke his promise to help unite Scotland after the divisive vote.

The First Minister appeared to blame elderly Scots, who were most hostile to leaving the UK, for holding back younger generations and argued that independence is inevitable after they die off.

In a startling intervention, he also claimed that another referendum may not be required to break up Britain as the Scottish Parliament could unilaterally declare independence after gaining increasing numbers of powers.
Alex Salmond says No voters were 'tricked' - Telegraph

Tricked? Since when has any canny Scot ever been tricked into doing something he or she didn't want to do?!

Tricked? I think not. If there was any "tricking" involved I tend to think it was him and his ilk glossing over the likely economic ramifications of a "Yes" vote. That part didn't seem to have been worked out very well by the proponents of independence and naturally people who have family commitments and mortgages, and older people worrying about the currency and interest rates and whether their savings will be enough to sustain them through their retirement, would be concerned about the lack of certainty in that regard and likely to vote for the safe option even if they were secretly yearning for an independent Scotland. Young adults without that sort of commitment are far more flexible and can afford to make decisions based on their ideals. And idealistic sixteen and seventeen-year-old teenagers are invincible!

I think Mr Salmond would do well to remain quiet as he does his cause no good to keep sniping like this. 45 in every hundred Scots voted in favour of independence so the conservatives should not take much comfort from the result. 45% of the population are dissatisfied with the status quo and want change. Mr Salmond should be working out answers to the questions that worried the 5% of the population whose vote was needed for "Yes" to win, and not whining and casting blame.

. . . . . Young adults without that sort of commitment are far more flexible and can afford to make decisions based on their ideals. And idealistic sixteen and seventeen-year-old teenagers are invincible!
Tricked? The only chicanery I see is the enfranchisement of those same idealistic 16 and 17 year olds in the (false) belief they could be easily swayed to vote yes.

Turns out they are just as diverse as other voters.

Last edited:
:ohmy:Mad at the seniors in Scotland and saying they will die off eventually and Scotland will then be free..............what kind of idiot says that about his countrymen/women? He is a sore loser and full of his own poo for he wants to rule Scotland with a free hand so he can be what.........king of Scotland in his mind only. I hope all that put him in office vote him out next time and realize what a creep he is.................and when he becomes a senior if he makes it that far for we all don't know the future, he will be very lucky to be a senior in a Scotland that loves all it's people regardless of how they voted. What an imbecile he is....

Marg - and everyone else - have you seen any reports on how those 16 and 17 year olds did actually vote? I haven't. I think it would be very interesting.

I always wanted Scotland to stay in the Union. And yesterday I sat and talked thru with my other half how happy I was but how I respected Salmond and what he had done for Scotland and respected how he had stood down having lost. Now this.....

Tne respect I had is floundering in the idea that the "new" scottish powers could deliver UDI!

Is he completely bonkers?

there will be no powers to allow this - and nor should there be. the majority said NO and a poll today said that the majority still supported SNP but "please dont do this to us again"

Hero to zero in less than 36 hours.

My Scottish Grandfather had no time for the pro-independence. His opinion was " look who will benefit the most and you will see why they are promoting it" Mr Salmond has just proven my grandfather correct. Salmond is not interested in democracy but in his own power trip.

Back
Top Bottom