Other than King Charles III, who was the Queen Mother's other favorite grandchildren?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Westfield Bakery

Aristocracy
City
Westfield, New Jersey
Country
United States
King Charles III was Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother's favorite grandchild because he was the first born grandchild and he was the future heir to the throne.

However, other than Charles, who do you think was her other favorite? Andrew for sharing the same last name as her husband, Albert?

Lady Sarah Chatto for being the last grandchild, and the daughter of Margaret?

You know grandparents have their favorites?

I don’t know that the QM did have a favourite apart from Charles and that was almost certainly because he appeared vulnerable and similar in personality to her husband Bertie.

However, when Anne was small she was always at her grandmother’s house, together with her brother. There are tons of photos of the QM with Anne, feeding ponies and going places etc. I don’t know she was that much of a favourite as Anne got older but as a young child she almost certainly was.

Charles might have the most attention on him because his specific role in the family, to carry The Firm after QEII's time. Same with William now, the attention he received is to prepare him for the role of King and now he has to do the same for his son. I agree that some parents and grandparents have favorites in any family but is because they relate to them in different ways from the siblings.

I was raised by maternal grandparents and I'm sure I was a favorite to spoil being the only kid surrounded by senior adults plus grand aunts and uncles, etc. But My grandmother loved absolutely every single one of her children and grandchildren and adjusted to each one's own personality. So, I assume the Queen Mother and QEII did the same in private.

I am sure that the Queen Mother - like every grandmother - loved all her grandchildren just as much.

I am sure that she loved all her grandchildren equally, but in different ways as they all had different personalities.

I agree, Im sure she loved them all. If Charles was a favourite I think it was because she had care of him when he was a little boy and because he did remind her of her own husband who was shy and gentle...
but surely, if one grandchild IS a bit of a favourite, then that's it. You dont have a secod favourite.

I believe Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother had affection for each grandchild. Each grandchild would have been treated individually.

It is an odd one - of course we will never know. I have wondered about what actually was the relationship between Edward and the Queen Mother as there was very odd references to it especially earlier in Edward's life. Such as Andrew would be taken to the QM when the Duke of Edinburgh were away during school holiday. Edward was farmed out to Anne. Why weren't they kept together - we will never know. There was dinners in the 1980's where Edward was simply not invited - maybe she knew he was not interested in attending or simply that he was too young. There was lots of times Edward was excluded and many people (Edward's biographies - Seward) place that down as the Queen was only interested in those close to the crown. ie.Charles and Andrew and later William.
There is one weird story that the QM even went on a date with Edward after he was unceremoniously dumped. The QM asked if she could have the dinner arrangement and the theatre tickets. You have to ask how she knew about the arrangements, but she did and when Edward's date fell through - invited herself for the evening. Either way - Edward took the QM to dinner and a show. Personally I think the QM was bored and wanted to wined and dined.
Later in life Edward would often go up to her apartments and read to her. People change - and their relationship as well.

The Queen Mother had to be tremendously happy when both her daughters were pregnant at the same time! (Queen Elizabeth the second with Prince Edward and Princess Margaret with Lady Sarah).

I do think she was disappointed when Edward didn't turn out to be a girl that the QM and the Queen wanted. Even the DOE was like , oh well - cant win them all.

Evidence for this? I've never heard that the queen or Philip wanted Edward to be a girl.

It is an odd one - of course we will never know. I have wondered about what actually was the relationship between Edward and the Queen Mother as there was very odd references to it especially earlier in Edward's life. Such as Andrew would be taken to the QM when the Duke of Edinburgh were away during school holiday. Edward was farmed out to Anne. Why weren't they kept together - we will never know. There was dinners in the 1980's where Edward was simply not invited - maybe she knew he was not interested in attending or simply that he was too young. There was lots of times Edward was excluded and many people (Edward's biographies - Seward) place that down as the Queen was only interested in those close to the crown. ie.Charles and Andrew and later William.
There is one weird story that the QM even went on a date with Edward after he was unceremoniously dumped. The QM asked if she could have the dinner arrangement and the theatre tickets. You have to ask how she knew about the arrangements, but she did and when Edward's date fell through - invited herself for the evening. Either way - Edward took the QM to dinner and a show. Personally I think the QM was bored and wanted to wined and dined.
Later in life Edward would often go up to her apartments and read to her. People change - and their relationship as well.

sorry do you mean the queen was only interested in those near the trhone or the queen mother?

Evidence for this? I've never heard that the queen or Philip wanted Edward to be a girl.

yep - it is in a number of books and newspapers in the 60's, but Seward's book on royal children and the one of the Queen Marriage as well remarks on it. The Queen wanted 2 boys - 2 girls. The Queen was quiet convinced that Edward was a girl that she had Anne's old clothes prepped for the new baby. There was even an article that she was calling the bump, Little Mary which didn't impress the DOE too much, he was not at all keen on that idea.
But when Edward arrived - all was well not much you can do, right. The DOE thought it was funny, probably because the Queen had been wrong. I do think the words of someone at the BBC was interesting - about third sons been surplus for purpose.
It should be noted that the DOE also noted when the Queen was expecting that the child was a happy accident and the result of Australian wine. I expect most people in Australia are the result of Australian wine - so Edward is in good company.

sorry - yep - meant the Queen Mom.

What an odd question. Even if the Queen Mother had a favorite grandchild, why would that information ever be made public? Wouldn't that be incredibly hurtful to the other grandkids? My paternal grandmother had seven grandkids, and my maternal grandmother only had two -- I very sincerely doubt they had a favorite. They were just happy to be grandmothers.

It should be noted that the DOE also noted when the Queen was expecting that the child was a happy accident and the result of Australian wine. I expect most people in Australia are the result of Australian wine - so Edward is in good company.

I cannot believe the DOE would be that indiscreet. On the other hand, I guess I can...

What an odd question. Even if the Queen Mother had a favorite grandchild, why would that information ever be made public? Wouldn't that be incredibly hurtful to the other grandkids? My paternal grandmother had seven grandkids, and my maternal grandmother only had two -- I very sincerely doubt they had a favorite. They were just happy to be grandmothers.

I think it's always been known that Charles was special to the QM, and that he loved her a lot and turned to her for affection and understanding which he didn't get so much from the queen and Philip. Charles has always spoken of her with special warmth, and she looked after him when his parents were away on tours.

I cannot believe the DOE would be that indiscreet. On the other hand, I guess I can...

He might have said something privately.. which has leaked out but I must say that I've never heard much about the queen's pregnancies or her wanting boys or girls.

I think she was close to David and Sarah too…They have always spoken very fondly of her

I don’t think she was close to Charles only for him being the eldest and the heir… They did have a great chemistry and she saw early on that he needed much more emotional support than he got from his home… And she understood him better and could provide him with that… After all the years of helping Bertie overcome his shy and introvert self to function as a King, she knew what it was all about..,

Back
Top Bottom